Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Hans’ says Elfman’s BATMAN theme is ‘jolly’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster
    TenderLumpling
    Participant

Oh, course it’ll be jolly! Why wouldn’t it be?

lonzoe
    Participant

Well I guess that makes Zimmer generic then.

Oh yeah it is.

I just finished reading the entire interview. Let’s begin with what he calls “iconic” music. Whats so iconic about his Begins music? He basically combined The Rock and Pirates. Thats all the Begins music is. Secondly, he talks about having written a traditional theme and throwing it out. I really question that. Why would someone like Zimmer “throw out” music? The man is basically a factory these days. He doesn’t give any real thought or time into his projects. He just composes some generic music and moves on. Anything with substance is most likely written by his army of “additional” composers.

boingomusic
    Participant

GOD, I HATE THIS GUY !!!!

He always feels so superior in his interviews… I can’t stand him!

gaba
    Participant

Never liked Zimmer. But to be totally fair, he never actually calls Danny’s them ‘jolly’. He quotes his acquaintances to keep bugging him when he’s going to come up with a “jolly batman theme, a la the Tim Burton films”.
    Likewise, why would it be implausible, that they had a theme (with James Newton-Howard ) and then decided not to use it? Isn’t that what you call the creative process? I don’t remember a single thing about the Batman Begins soundtrack, so the process didn’t go exactly right, for me ;-), but you do stuff like this, don’t you.

Zimmer and Howard didn’t actually collaborate on Begins and TDK. They split their duties. In Begins, Howard composed all the ’emotional’ scenes while Zimmer did the generic ‘action’ scenes. And it TDK, based on the interview, it seems like Zimmer did the Joker theme while Howard did the Harvey Dent/Two-Face theme. And I’d imagine the rest of the score is basically recycled music from Begins.

gaba
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying. I might be wrong, but that sounds a bit retarded… splitting duties like that. Unless they’re REALLY well tuned together and create something, which sound very coherent. I love Newton-Howard, but I can hardly think of anything left in my head, musically, after Nolan’d first Batman movie.

boingomusic
    Participant

Yeah, and speaking of Zimmer’s Batman theme that has been suposedly composed but left over, don’t worry guys, he will recycle it FOR SURE in some other action movie… It’ll probably be in one of those Media Ventures Action samplers and some day, he’ll pick it up and use it… Zimmer would never leave over anything, as far as he can get money out of it….

All this being said, I admit I really LOVE his music for “The Ring” but once againt, I doubt he composed anything for this movie, because the additionnal composers credits are amazingly long ;-)

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

The guy’s got a head the size of Jupiter. Never liked the guy.

Natrebo
    Participant

I had a friend who worked at Remote Control (Media Ventures), and he only had glowing things to say about Zimmer and how he mentors young composers… his style may not be your cup of tea, but he’s very generous about giving composers a chance to rise to the top ala John Powell who’s gone on to a top notch career in the business. There is something to be said about that!

Buy the way my friend worked under Klaus Badelt during Catwoman and spent his time creating samples for him as well as moving his stuff after his divorce… ah to be an intern.

I seem to remember Hans inviting Danny over during the scoring of the first Nolan Batman movie, since their studios aren’t that far apart….?

Thor
    Participant

gaba Wrote:

> Never liked Zimmer. But to be totally fair, he
    > never actually calls Danny’s them ‘jolly’. He
    > quotes his acquaintances to keep bugging him when
    > he’s going to come up with a “jolly batman theme,
    > a la the Tim Burton films”.

Indeed! Let’s get some perspective here! It’s curious how fans of certain composers seem to construe anything as a criticism or personal offense or something, even if it wasn’t intended that way.

I think Zimmer’s BATMAN music is wonderful, and the whole Zimmer/Newton Howard collaboration a very interesting and novel experiment. Believe it or not, but it is actually possible to like BOTH Elfman’s BATMAN music AND the new BATMAN music.

I also think Zimmer is a refreshing voice in interviews. He tells it like it is….in many ways just like Danny does.

D-Bo
    Participant
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Yeah, no shit! What I said in the original post. Hans is getting nutty! Must be that two-note Joker motif.

Hans Zimmer went ahead and replaced Danny Elfman’s jolly music with his own:

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Terrible.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.