Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Hello, I love you all! But I bring complaints…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kipobe
    Participant

So, I love this forum. Well, I love the content… and it’s nice to know that there are other people like me out there who have a healthy (or unhealthy… depending on how you look at it) love for Danny Elfman, and his work.

I wish I could post here more… I really do…. but my OCD will not permit me. The forums are very hard to navigate. Thanks for all the work you’ve put in here, Ryan…. but is there any chance we’re going to see an overhaul of these forums? I wanted to bump an old thread I was interested in, but of course it doesn’t make any sense to do so, since my post would be lost pages and pages back. So I thought I’d private message the person, and that’s been disabled?

I’m not just another complainer. Well, I am… I complain about everything. I’m impossible to please, and I’m a jerk… but set those fine qualities aside, for the most part I’m pretty easy going… still, I wish I could be here more…. I just can’t, since it’s too complicated.

Be that as it may, hello, thanks, and love!

Sincerely,
    Sir Kipobe of Lithuania

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Kipobe — thanks for the feedback. I’m currently redesigning the whole site, top to bottom. Perhaps after that is completed I can look into updating the forum. Right now I like its simplicity, but it could use some improvements. Stay tuned!

Kipobe
    Participant

Cool! I look forward to that.

On a side note… (off-topic) what’s the odds that we will ever see anything positive in the Spider-Man franchise in 2011? Namely, Chris Young being fired, and someone else stepping in who would use Elfman’s work a little better?

Monsterhead
    Participant

Let’s hope that John Debney is keeping his calendar free for that summer…

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I heard in an interview with Debney that he was really looking forward to scoring “Iron Man” but didn’t get the gig. He even wrote a theme for Iron Man. He said something along the lines of he felt the character deserved a bigger, more heroic theme than the one Ramin Djawadi gave him, and I agree. He had high hopes for being hired for “Iron Man 2” and I hope he gets it. As for “Spider-Man 4”, I can only hope that Elfman has a change of heart and agrees to come back to wash the horrid taste of “Spider-Man 3” out of my mouth.

Nick Parker
    Participant

I agree with that sentiment.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

I love the score to Spiderman, but honestly, I think Elfman is too good for the new movies Raimi’s been shitting out. I would be disappointed if he returned to score the latest.

Kipobe
    Participant

urrrrrgreed! Hey Spider-Fan… I noticed you said something in another thread about having a CD from the third film? There were a couple of salvagable tracks that Young spat out. Do you have that CD? How can I get my hands on a copy?

elfboy91
    Participant

Anyway.. Yeah.. I don’t really wanna hear another Spider score.. I’m done with that franchise…They are great… but im done…I don’t even wanna see another Spider movie.. especially if Raimi is involved… get someone else! .

….

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I just found a bunch of tracks by doing a few Google searches. They’re not too hard to come by. Some of the stuff I’ve found includes some of the work done by Young that was later replaced by Deborah Lurie’s work, and rightly so as it was supremely terrible. Perhaps Raimi learned his lesson about giving Young a shot at a project like this.

gordonblu
    Participant

At the risk of being fileted alive, I actually enjoyed his music, but, with the exception of “Birth of Sandman” I didn’t think it fit the Spiderman sound that Elfman created. If they had given Young a different franchise to work on, say Fantastic Four for example, I don;t think we would have reacted as strongly. To follow Elfman is to tread on sacred ground, just ask Elliot Goldenthal.

Nick Parker
    Participant

But the difference is that Elliot Goldenthal produced a respectable score (especially considering what he had to work with) that did not stray too far from Elfman’s work.

gordonblu
    Participant

I thought He did stray very far from Elfman. The films in general strayed too far from what was set before. In contrast I thought Chris Young tried to stay as close to what Elfman did as much as he could considering He’s not wired the same as Elfman. Goldenthal didn’t even want to use Elfman’s theme let alone copy.I read that Schumacher wanted Goldenthal to use the theme in the first place, but Goldenthal talked him out of it. In hind sight, I’m still on the fence as to whether that was a good thing or not, but It would have lent some degree of continuity. Which is why I’m slow to judge Young.

I hated Goldenthal for many years because of Batman Forever. It was onlyrecently I began to appreciate his work. However Batman Forever is still my least favorite of his. I actually liked the score for Batman And Robin better. Sure it used a lot of previous music, but it seemed to hint at a more somber tone at times, which makes it a pity that it accompanies THAT film.

Granted, I’m not saying Young’s work in Spider-Man 3 is the best piece of music I’ve ever heard, but at least it tried to be respectful.

Nick Parker
    Participant

I can see what you are saying, but I disagree with you. Just to make things easier, I will state my opinions right here: I hate Christopher Young’s music, and there is not a single cue of his that I have heard that I associated with the word “good”. The opposite would probably describe my feelings toward Elliot Goldenthal. I tend to like his music very much, though I do not buy his albums or even consider him a favorite. “Batman Forever” is not that great, though I will unabashedly say that I love “Two Face Three Step”. The best thing to come from that film, period. In fact, I think I will listen to it right now….

gordonblu
    Participant

You have every right to dislike Young, I was just stating my opinion as well. And I agree, the best thing to come out of Batman Forever was “Two-Face Three Step”.

For a campy Batman movie I thought Elliot Goldenthal did a great job. You can’t even compare it to Elfman cause they were composing two different movies. Now, compare it to the `60s Adam West series (which was also great BTW) and then we can debate.

That being said…

If we are gonna compare Elfman’s Batman music to anyone it should be Shirley Walker. She did an amazing job with B:TAS.

elfboy91
    Participant

I agree.. also I’m glad Goldenthal talked Schumaker out of the idea of using Elfman’s theme… It totally would not have worked in that campy film!

gordonblu
    Participant

I actually tried his music over both Batman Forever AND Batman and Robin, and in both cases the movie seemed better.

Of course, you couldn’t hear the dialogue….

Nick Parker
    Participant

I would consider that to be a good thing.

gordonblu
    Participant

That was my point.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.