Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion History of Violence

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Monsterhead
    Participant

So I picked up my DVD of Cronenberg’s latest great film. In the commentary he revealed that Micheal Kaman wrote the New Line Cinema logo theme – which I never knew! Am I the only one?

Anyway, to distract from all the great Elfman news posted earlier I’d just like to say that I thought Shore’s music for the film was painfully underwhelming. It was nice to hear Cronenebrg say that many scenes were tried with music, but eventually given up on because the scenes worked better without.

A great DVD for Cronenberg fans, his most accessable film to date, and it’s great to see and hear him to be so open about the DVD medium. While he’s never been one to shy away from the format in th past, it’s still quite a different side of him reflected on the disc.

And hey Ryan – can we spot you anywhere lurking in the behind the scenes videos?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

This was a great movie to work on. Cronenberg is the best. Quick and simple because he knows what he wants and works with the same key creative crew. I don’t know if I am in the behind-the-scenes stuff, but I know the U.S. election ballots I designed are in there. During production in Toronto, the U.S. election (Bush & Kerry) was raging. Viggo Mortensen wanted to hold our own election here. I designed the ballots ;) For those who care, John Kerry won, with like 98% of the vote.

Ryan

Monsterhead
    Participant

You know, I’ve only met the man once – and I was VERY intimidated. Something about his charecter in NIGHTBREED that just struck me at the moment when we met.

It looked like a fun set to work on – in spite of the subject matter. Viggo appeared to be quite a lot of fun too. Cronenberg told me about a script he was re-writing called PAIN KILLERS – it sounded great and typical of his work. Can’t wait to see it! But what’s with all these other peoples movies he’s been making lately? Oh well, no matter what he does – it’s always great…..

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

I take it the other 2% must have a good sense of humor.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Why is it that everyons seems to have been on that movie’s set? Ryan, what did you do there? I feel left out here in Boston.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Well, perhaps Ryan will answer your question. Otherwise, just look him up in imdb.com

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster
    Spider-Fan
    Participant

Whoa whoa whoa, you work in the movies?! Why didn’t I ever know this? Very cool!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Well, sometimes I do. A little current career history:

The last production I’ve worked on was ABC’s 6-hr 9/11 mini-series. It will air this May.

After the 9/11 mini, I was hired by Barry Levinson as his assistant on a picture in late October, unfortunately after three weeks I was “replaced” by a, ahem, young female. In general it’s difficult for guys to get these jobs because often executives, producers, etc. like to have a little minx around to stare at for those long 12 hour plus days. I also recently interviewed to work for another director (Zach Helm, who was in the Vanity Fair Hollywood issue – with the nude Keira on the cover). It came down to myself and one other guy. Having never done the job of assisting a director, and this being Zach’s first film, the job went to my more experienced competition. That’s the way the cookie crumbles. I love the script that Zach wrote and he is such a nice guy that stardom for him is now far off. They called me back weeks later and had me interview to work for an actor on the same film. I essentially had the job, but the actor decided to hire a friend of a friend (that’s how this business works – friends & family) and again, shut out.

Which is why I’ve been spending my time designing three new websites to pay the rent — Trevor Morris (add’tl music for HULK and pretty much every Hans Zimmer score since BLACK HAWK DOWN), Cory A. Jackson (who has worked with Chris Lennertz and scored a few films of his own) and Jeff Cardoni (JUST FRIENDS). I was competing for the Michael Giacchino website job but I work too slowly apparently ;)

Okay, that’s enough about me!

Ryan

Monsterhead
    Participant

Wow. Makes me feel even more depressed about my career….

Keep up the good work Ryan. PAing is tough work. I did some PA work once – for free. The producer was a total bitch. I told her this is not how you treat free workers and I left them hanging. To this day, that little project has not been finished. Its so much more rewarding to do struff on your own, which is the way I hope to keep it.

Say le vee.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Yeah, PA work is hard. But I am no longer a PA and I will never be one again!

Ryan

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Wow, a lot of you guys are in the business, say Ryan, can you get my adaptation of Stephen Colbert’s Alpha Squad 7: Lady Nocturne: A Tek Jansen Adventure green lit?

Spider-Fan
    Participant

A Tek Jansen movie would be amazing. But make sure your script is completely filled with truthiness!

evil-dead
    Participant

hey ryan, you worked on the interpreter? cool, my cousin was in that flick (super small role).

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0260632/

how do you get into PAing anyway?

Chris

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Well I finished my film program in school and just sent out my measly resume to the production office for EXIT WOUNDS back in 2000. I met the co-ordinator and she was fantastic. The kind of person who was willing to give someone their break. That’s how the film business keeps going. You give people breaks and hope it works out. Or, you hire your kid, your friend’s kid, your lawyer’s kid, etc. That’s how studios keep their executive ranks populated!

Thankfully I have moved up to producer’s assistant. Less physical work, more brains. Although your mind can start to go crazy when you know about every single issue surrounding the production.

Ryan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.