Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Is it necessary to be in L.A. to work ???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    aLfR3dd
    Participant

hi guys, i’m from italy …i would like to be a film composer…do u think it’s necessary to be in L.A????????
    tnx (Mar i’m italian contact ME!!!)

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

You could “like to be a film composer” basically everywhere in the world. There are a lot of L.A. based people who “like to be film composers” too. One of them is James Horner.

LittleMaestro
    Participant

LO F’in L!!!!!

aLfR3dd
    Participant

tnx …but if i want to work and score an hollywood film i’ve got be there ? right?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Chances are, yes. Most folks in Hollywood are even more ethnocentric than the average American…

Ryan

Knight
    Participant

Very true, but who wants to work on a hollywood film anyhow? Just do some indie flicks to get your feet wet, you don’t have to be anywhere to do those (unless the people who made it are based in L.A., in which case, your screwed :D )

Knight

Danny Burton
    Participant

I think it’s almost mandatory.

What composers working today don’t live there?

Ennio Morricone? Alexandre Desplat [LOVE him]?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Joseph LoDuca lives in Detroit, I believe. And he freakin’ rules.

JS
    Participant

But where lives Elliot Goldenthal and Danny Elfman?

ooshmaster
    Participant

I don’t know where Goldenthall lives. I was surprised when I heard that Danny had a home adress when I was reading the fan letter post from Guitarfreak though. I had thought he lived in some ivory tower far, far away…

Knight
    Participant

Elfman lives in Burbank I think (or the last time I checked at least). So he is in the area.

Knight

Aki
    Participant

Tim Burton’s place, when he was young… It is a coincidence ?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Elliot lives in New York City.

Ryan

Hoku
    Participant

Unfortunately L.A. is the place to be. I’m familier with a young composer who’s good enough that he can get work from L.A. up in the San Francisco Bay, but that’s still California, and he’s doing smaller films.

If you happen to know film makers in Italy who need music, and those films could get you other work, stay there. It will probably be easier. But if there’s a lack of work there and you aspire for Hollywood pictures, Hollywood is the place to be.

I know, it’s lame.

Katie
    Participant

I read in some magazine somewhere that he and Bridget Fonda had gotten a house in Santa Barbara, about 2 1/2 hours north of LA (Santa Barbara is basically paradise on earth and full of rich people). I really don’t care where Danny Elfman lives but I have a really hard time believing that he would live in the suburban cesspool known as Burbank.

aLfR3dd
    Participant

tnx ….guys ! What about l.a. Universities??? which one is the best for film music?? UCLA or USC ???? because i think i would go there to study and then if i’m lucky …to work!

JS
    Participant

Thank you very much Ryan!!! Thanx a lot, do you know home phone number of Goldenthal, i want to make a call.

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

JS Wrote:

> Thank you very much Ryan!!! Thanx a lot, do you
    > know home phone number of Goldenthal, i want to
    > make a call.

ROFL

Danny Burton
    Participant

ROLFMAO indeed.

I’m getting all kinds of images in my mind right now of how that conversation would turn out.

JS
    Participant

What means ROFL???

Katie
    Participant

Quit being dicks.

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

Why? I’m sorry, but this JS guy is just hilarious.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Is he even serious?!

JS
    Participant

Of courst. If you had a chance to speak with Danny Elfman, would you agree to make a call to him if you know his phone number! I want to talk with Elliot, want to discuss his scores, want to ask about the video for orchestral recording session from Batman Forever. I wonder whats happen if Danny would decided to conduct batman scores. I imagine, we see orchestra playing the Batmarch and we see Danny Elfman, he conducting the orchestra like a mad man, and laughs like a villain. Maybe Tim Burton should take danny instead of Jack Nicholson.

Danny Burton
    Participant

Seriously, I don’t want to be a dick like Katie said but that post seriously made me fall off my chair.

Danny conducting like a madman!!
    Danny laughing like a lunatic!!
    Danny playing the joker and trashing a museum to prince songs!!
    Danny acting like Jack Nicholson!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.