Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Johnston + ‘Captain America’ = Elfman?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Hmn….?

“Joe Johnston has inked a deal to direct “First Avenger: Captain America,” Marvel Studios’ take on its classic comic book character. Marvel’s Kevin Feige is producing.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i2a6531019c4147a66e0beb044b64e1be

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Oh, GAWD, that is embarrassing! No more silly, over-dramatic, comic book superhero movies, PAHLEEZE!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

While it would be awesome to hear another Elfman superhero score, deep down I want Johnston’s old collaborator James Horner to handle this film. Based on their work together on “The Rocketeer,” that duo would be brilliant on “Captain America”, which is apparently to be set in WWII.

If John Williams wasn’t semi-retired he would have been the ideal choice. However…like Chris Griffin says, “Now we’re gonna have to do this with Danny Elfman.”

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Ha, good point. Who could write a more American score than Williams? Seems like the legend is only working for Spielberg these days, though.

gordonblu
    Participant

Johnston and Cap sounds like good news, however considering the trend that has been started I have a feeling the music will at least sound like a Zimmer and Co. production. Craig Armstrong is not officially connected to Remote Control, but his Hulk score was cut from the same cloth.

Off the subject but I noticed every superhero film this year either had an Elfman quote in the music or was directly scored by the Man himself. Iron Man’s theme bore more than just a passing resemblance to Spider-Man, The Dark Knight had a quote(accidentally or not) of THE Batman theme, and lo and behold, Craig quoted Elfman in Hulk too! Surprisingly he quoted “Oh Mother Dear” from Little Demons!The first three notes are a little different and I can’t quite place where the quote would be on the Album, but I heard it quite distinctly when watching the film.

Monsterhead
    Participant

I’d love to hear an old stand-by; Howard Shore or Elliot Goldenthall could help breath some life into the rather tiresome super hero scene of late.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Hey guys, I think I found a shot from the movie!

Lucius
    Participant

He’s covering his boner with his shield after Wonder Woman walked by.

Lucius

Monsterhead
    Participant

Is this what we’ve come to on this message board? Boner jokes?

gordonblu
    Participant

Referring to Monsterhead’s idea of Elliot Goldenthal, I would actually prefer that Goldenthal do the music for Jack Kirby’s “Fourth World” (otherwise known as “the New Gods”) if they ever make a film based on it. That property needs an overtly operatic sound, while also being very strange and experimental.

Oh, and He should never go near Batman ever again because that was JUST mental.

P.S. I too thought this forum was too classy for adolescent attempts at humor.

Lucius
    Participant

Soooooorry guys, a long day at work and lack of sleep turned my brain into a second grader last night. We are a classy bunch on this site, and I forgot that. I will make sure to have my top hat and monocle on when I post in the future.

Lucius

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Lucius, are we going to hunt humans this weekend with the other elite? I’ll pick you up in the Cessna.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

You’re right, Monsterhead. This is VERY serious business.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for boner jokes. I pull then all the time. Jokes that is…

Lucius
    Participant

Righty ho, Ryan, old chap. I’ve been dying to try out my new elephant rifle. I’ll bring the snifters of brandy, you bring the fancy cigars and your hunting ascot.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.