Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion King Kong Album

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    boingomusic
    Participant

Ok, I know this is a little off-topic, but I thought I’ll let you know about the new Jams Newton Howard King Kong album. Once again, the swiss online cd shop : http://www.cede.ch/fr has released a soundtrack album one week earlier. I just ordered my copy last night, and I got it this morning.

The album is quite insteresting. A lot of different moods in it. Even some “jazzy” parts in the begginig. I just can’t imagine what Elfman would have done if he had had the opportunity to score it. Anyway, the web site has also sound clips, if you want to hear what it’s like.

Enjoy.

-Eric

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

It’s also available at iTunes. I downloaded it yesterday, wasn’t blown away by the first listen. Subsequent listens have revealed more of JNH’s ideas, but as a whole the action music isn’t as fully developed, instead resorting to sheer volume.

Ryan

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

I guess what would be interesting is to now hear the rejected Howard Shore score for “King Kong”. Cinescape has posted up an article on the controversy…

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Music+%26+Audio&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270466&obj_id=50213

Ross Marshall
    Participant

Wow…Kong is going to be near three hours?

strongballs
    Participant

I’m sure it would be hermman – esq

Ghost Moth
    Participant

Listened to three tracks last night. I really like the sensitive stuff I heard for Kong in the Empire State Building track and in the four-minute preview of the film. Thought the two action action cues were very generic.

I fear the movie’s length is excessive, but I love the original film and am anxious to see it. From the extremely drawn-out and overly sentimental ending of Return of the King it’s apparent Peter Jackson can be very self-undulgent and no one reels him in. I can easily imagine Jackson very obviously milking Kong’s death and making eyes roll again.

The original film was about 100 minutes, Dino DeLaurentis’ remake was a bit over two hours. It’s a very adventurous story and it’ll be exciting to see what they’ve done with it,
    but I imagine there’s at least 30 minutes that nobody would miss. Early reviews indicate the arrival at Skull Island doesn’t even occur until the second hour.

Of course I’ll be there, front row opening night.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I’m sure it would be hermman – esq

Or, Herrmann-esqe.

>>I’m sure it would be hermman – esq

>>Or, Herrmann-esqe.

Or how about Herrmannesque?? lol

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I don’t think RETURN OF THE KING was self-indulgent. People who followed all three films spent almost nine hours with these characters. I for one did not want to let go!

Ryan

TenderLumpling
    Participant

That would work.

Ghost Moth
    Participant

Over 12 hours with the Extended DVDs even, which I used to own.

I’ll admit I loved The Fellowship of the Ring and didn’t want that one to end, but I failed to become a Ringer after Two Towers.

I Just got the King Kong album. Wonder how long before bootlegs of Shore’s score become available.

DVD with Alternate Score by Howard Shore…. My precious.

Ghost Moth
    Participant

I like these tracks:

Defeat is Always Momentary

Beautiful

The Empire State Building — Nice work with the theme.

Beauty Killed the Beast IV — first two and a half minutes. I can see this, very compelling.

The mysterious theme heard first on King Kong is very intriguing. Something frightening and fantastic waits on the other side.

Kong’s theme reveals his great character in Tooth and Claw, first very affirmative and macho, then triumphant. And very endearing and senitive at the end. Truly moving by the end of the score. On The Empire State Building it’s fully realised as grandeur, then sadly turned very vulnerable.

Kipobe
    Participant

Did anyone else really, really hate this movie?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.