Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Men In Black 3 (2012)

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    lonzoe
    Participant

Go figure!

ddddeeee
    Participant

Amazon.com lists the score for release on the 29th of May.

Danny is listed as the only artist so maybe they’ll have a score and a song album like with the first movie.

lonzoe
    Participant

Can’t wait. First two scores were a lot of fun. Curious to see what he’ll do with the 60s plot in the film.

ddddeeee
    Participant

1. Men in Black 3 – Main Title
    2. Spiky Bulba
    3. The Set-Up
    4. Headquarters
    5. Regret
    6. Wrong
    7. Not Funny
    8. Big Trouble
    9. Out on a Limb
    10. Time Jump
    11. Bad Fortune
    12. Forget Me Not
    13. Goin’ Back or Into the Past
    14. Griffin Steps Up
    15. True Story
    16. The Prize-Monocycles
    17. Boris Meets Boris
    18. Under the Bridge
    19. The Mission Begins
    20. Mission Accomplished
    21. A Close One
    22. Men in Black 3 – Main Title Revisited

bookbinder3
    Participant

Main Title!? Wow. Was hoping I’d see one of those some day. Great news.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    sajrocks
    Participant

In a lengthy interview with Film School Rejects, Sonnenfeld discusses Elfman and the MIBIII soundtrack:

“[Jemaine Clement is] a really mean and great-looking villain. We learned from the second one and are back to have[ing] a really strong villain. In fact, Danny Elfman, who did the score on all three movies, is [a] huge Jemaine Clement fan and loves every moment of Flight of the Concords. The first time I showed him Men in Black III, he said, “That villain is fantastic. Who is he?” I said his name was Jemaine Clement, and he said “no way.” Danny Elfman not recognizing one of his musical idols was very satisfying.

“Danny did a fantastic job on the score, with it being reminiscent of the first movie, but also new and hip. Also, by going to 1969, it allowed me to have a lot of really great music from the era. However, some of the music I chose is not so much pop, but Velvet Underground, Cream, and a Rolling Stones I had never heard before called 2,000 Lightyears From Home, and it’s a fantastic song.”

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/barry-sonnenfeld-jgiro.php

ddddeeee
    Participant
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Fantastic samples. Guitar – cooool.
    I love this score. :)

ddddeeee
    Participant
    bookbinder3
    Participant

This sounds glorious. A wonderful extension of the previous scores that, pleasantly, harkens back to the first more than to the second. I’m really liking the guitar over the more pronounced ostinato riff theme-the jazzy brass was more in focus in the sequel score-and I’m loving the reprise of the finale music from the first film in track 21. Certainly better then the 18 seconder of a finale we got in MIBII. All that from the samples! Another great addition to this Elfman renaissance (not that I ever thought anything was lacking, but anything that gets him in better standing in the film music world is great).

ddddeeee
    Participant
    DannyBiker
    Participant

So it’s out on iTunes apparently…

ddddeeee
    Participant

The main titles are on Youtube.

ddddeeee
    Participant

K theme galore, it’s given it’s longest workout yet in ‘Mission Accomplished’ and what I’m assuming is a theme for Boris, the villain.

The movie is getting surprisingly good reviews too. And Sonnenfeld “can’t wait” to do a forth.

Lucius
    Participant

I’ve only been through this score once, but other than ‘Mission Accomplished’, the other standout track for me has got to be ‘Time Jump’. (spoiler? ;))

Lucius

ddddeeee
    Participant

The movie is so much better than the second. The score is given a really great mix.

I loved the score. Elfman recycles a lot of material but he does a great job of giving it a lot of new variations. I really loved the use of the electric guitar.

bookbinder3
    Participant

A really fun film. Still nothing on the first, but certainly more obviously better than the second. Re-watched the first two last week (they’ve been on every channel, it seems) and the second was actually better than I remembered, but I think it was that I didn’t remember it that was the problem. A bit of temp-track love of cues from the first two films I think. There was a quick edit of the main titles from the first film at one point and the entire Logo cue from the second later on in the bowling alley. Obviously it’s those little things that get left out if one’s rushed for time. Considering how close together this and Dark Shadows must have come in Elfman’s schedule, these are really solid efforts in areas he’s pretty much explored to their fullest. Did anyone else spot Tim Burton on the alien display at MIB headquaters?

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.