Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion More Details about Elfman’s “Concert Hall Debut”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I already put this up at Film Score Monthly, but for you all:

http://americancomposers.org/rel20050223.htm#elfman

The best news:

“Elfman’s Serenada Schizophrana is scored for large orchestra, electronics, two pianos, and female voices. Joining ACO in the premiere are the ACO Singers, directed by Judith Clurman.”

I’m ooh-ooh-oohing as I type!

BATMAN
    Participant

I can’t wait. I’m broke but I was not going to miss this. The ACO usually doesn’t drwa a crowd so even if you’re worried, you can easily score tickets outside Carnegie for 10 bucks. I should have gone ahead and got the good seats, but the cheapies will do me just fine.
    I hope he attends his premiere.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

DAMN, what I would give to be there. The best news would be a CD release. If there isn’t one, I will chop off my ears!!!

Anonymous

that sounds like a great mix of electronics and live orchestration to me!i love that, wish i could hear it.! i wonder has danny gone all out and orchestrated this one himself??

LittleMaestro
    Participant

Any rumblings about this possibly making its way to the left coast?

Anonymous

electronics??????!!!! I lose all my hopes……. Damn electronic music….

Anonymous

but, alex, hopefully in the concert hall it wont be a synth and orchestra mess like most of the action music in his recent films. and this is a concert piece, no one even knows if he’ll pull it off yet. it could be crap! writing for the concert hall is a different thing than writing for film. i remeber a while back some hollywood film composer( cant remember who) wrote a piece commissioned by the BBC for the lso and it was fucking awful. but danny could pull it off maybe

BATMAN
    Participant

Elfman’s not dumb. He knows what he’s gotten into and it’s probably exciting him. With all of the super-hero movies and maybe turning fifty recently, he’s looking for new challenges. good for him. David Newman is premiering a piece with Indiana, and he usues orchestrators, Don Davis writes lots of concert music, and he uses orchestrators for his films, so does Williams. I HOPE and expect that Elfman will orchestrate himself. I know he is a composer, but he writes his way and I’m excited about the electronics element….anyway, I suppoe we’ll see.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

So far, no plans for a CD release :(

Ryan

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I HOPE and expect that Elfman will orchestrate himself.

What difference does it make?

BATMAN
    Participant

what difference does it make? you give the same sketches to 5 different orchestrators and you will get five different sounding pieces. In the studio, Elfman produces, and makes it come out the way he want it. In the concert hall, it’s supposed to be prepared before the performance.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Don’t worry about electronics. Danny Elfman makes wonderful use of them among an orchestral score. Look at Spider-Man and Hulk.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

In the studio, Elfman produces, and makes it come out the way he want it. In the concert hall, it’s supposed to be prepared before the performance.

I don’t understand, won’t Elfman overlook the orchestra preparations with an orchestrator before the performance, like he does with a film score?

Alex from Belarus
    Participant

They both can be better if he do not use electronics….just my point. So i worry about electronics… :(

Alex from Belarus
    Participant

SO…WHAT NEWS ABOUT CONCERT?????????????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.