Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Mr. Peabody & Sherman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    DannyBiker
    Participant

I can’t help to feel cheated whenever Elfman hires additional composers, although I know it’s a necessity sometimes.
    I guess I couldn’t be a Zimmer fan…

lonzoe
    Participant

Yeah I’ve been noticing Elfman’s been using additional composers for quite a few films lately. Even the little bit of score used for American Hustle had additional music. This probably has a lot to do with the short deadlines composers are given these days.

And even though deadlines play a major part but I think Zimmer chooses to work with additional composers.

Lambegue
    Participant

Yes for Zimmer, it is a part of his working process, he does it because he likes it, even more than because of the deadlines I think.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

It does say in the booklet “All Score Cues Composed by Danny Elfman” – meaning perhaps that the album material is all his. Or I’ll just keep telling myself that!

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yeah, that’s what I’d understand as well but it’s an ambiguous formulation.
    Anyway, he tends to be very clear about additional composers in general. These are the additional composers imdb is listing : Chris Bacon, Peter Bateman, Paul Mounsey and John Ashton Thomas.

Also, Elfman’s style for animated features tends to be very mickey-mousing (not to say “wall to wall”) and I think it’s an exhausting kind of composing where you can’t just say, when you’re running out of time, “I’ll loop or extend this part and slightly re-orchestrate it”. It has to be follow the action very closely.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Also, what cover did everyone get? The one on Amazon.com/ca is the Peabody/Sherman image… The one you actually get is Peabody wearing the Roman helmet.

DannyBiker
    Participant

My Amazon UK copy is on its way, with Peabody/Sherman…

Also, that score was incredibly cheap for such a recent release…

Weepy Donuts
    Participant

I preordered my copy through Amazon, and I received the Peabody-as-Napoleon Bonaparte slipcover.

bookbinder3
    Participant

I ordered mine from Amazon UK and got Mr Peabody with the Roman helmet. Perhaps one is expected to collect them all?

Lambegue
    Participant

How many covers are there finally ?
    1/ Peabody + Sherman
    2/ Napoleon Peabody
    3/ Roman Peabody
    Are there other ones ?

sajrocks
    Participant

I got Lincoln Peabody from Amazon U.S. “Thank you so much! I’m a big fan of yours, Abraham!”

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Damn, I want the Peabody/Sherman cover. This could be expensive!

ddddeeee
    Participant

‘Q: Can you tell me a little about the collaboration with Danny Elfman, he did the score and it seems so unlike his other work.

RM: It was an interesting thing, I was hoping to work with him for many many years, and he was talking to DreamWorks on a variety of projects but this is the one he was most interested in. He has a signature to his work but I didn’t want his score for this film to be like those that’s he’s done with Tim Burton cause this film is different in tone and style. And he seemed to embrace it very well.’

Wonder what the other projects were.

Lambegue
    Participant

“it seems so unlike his other work” : I love this score, but this precise commentary isn’t true IMO…

DannyBiker
    Participant

Got Pharaoh Peabody from Amazon UK. I ain’t collecting them though…

Thor
    Participant

I received mine today. It has the dog on the front cover. What silly packaging — cardboard box with a friggin’ colour book for kids? WTF!? Reminds me of the THE LOST WORLD packaging from 1997.

Lambegue
    Participant

Strange, I had nothing like that, just an ordinary booklet, not really well documented (no list of performers for example), but not so unusual or horrible either

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Thor, sounds like we have the same packaging. Collect ’em all!

AM2014
    Participant

Mr. Glad “to see Elfman back to wacky comedy mode.

While not as crazy as his earlier works, it’s a good score. I especially like the BACK TO SCHOOL-style of “The Drop Off” and … “Back to School.” “Amazing Mr. Peabody” is a hilarious and fun listen.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Live performance at the Hollywood Bowl, Elfman was in attendance. Most of the music is not on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgxc0MCplA

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

The description says Elfman conducted… Did he? The video is taken from 10000 feet away.

Lambegue
    Participant

I doubt it very much. As far as I know, Elfman doesn’t really have a good knowledge of orchestra conducing. The mistake is done quite often, though.

dr.giggles
    Participant

Still my favorite, recent, album

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.