Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion “Music for a Darkened Theatre” Vol.3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan P
    Participant

Who else thinks it is time for a volume 3? His first two compilations introduced me to his work outside of Tim Burton and brought me to purchase many of his scores which I normally would not have. I would love to see a volume 3 with everything from 1996-2006.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

From what I understand, no music label wishes to issue Darkened Theater 3 at this time. Isn’t that what Elfman said during his recent AOL online chat?

Monsterhead
    Participant

Correct. I read that too. Hopefully, if he gets anymore attention with his classical album – someone (Sony?) would take the chance….

RCox
    Participant

I think another issue would be the expense in licensing music that appeared on other labels.

Monsterhead
    Participant

ugggghhhh. yeah, that too…..

Ryan P
    Participant

Darn music licensing…. Not only does it prevent music from being shared to the public, it prevents many of my favorite old TV shows from being released on DVD.

So, how did Elfman get the backing for volumes 1 & 2?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

There are two issues: licensing the tracks and paying the re-use fees for the union orchestras that performed them (there are a few Elfman scores since 1996 that are exempt from re-use fees, however).

That is an incredible expense for any label considering these days rampant downloading has eroded the music industry and is slowly killing off niche genres like soundtracks.

Ryan

Ryan P
    Participant

Well, Danny should just solve this problem by purchasing the rights to all of his music :-) hehe I can dream!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.