Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion New Elfman interview

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    TenderLumpling
    Participant

You get to hear the main theme for Charlotte’s Web!

I hear a lot of Corpse Bride in the Main Title.

http://www.kcrw.com/cgi-bin/db/kcrw.pl?show_code=tb&air_date=8/27/06&tmplt_type=Show

gaba
    Participant

Excellent interview. Thanks very much.

What’s “Daily Variety”, though? (they’re supposed to have an in-depth profile on Danny in September…)

Dawg Man
    Participant

I actually think that’s the cue that follows Charlotte spinning the “Some Pig” web for the first time.

Yes… I read the book.
    *narrows eyes*

Spider-Fan
    Participant

It definitely has that “Corpse Bride” sound. I really wish I could afford to own that DVD in addition to the CD…

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Very interesting. Too bad he didn’t tell which Shostakovich piece he was referring to.

Lady Jaye
    Participant

oh man i couldn’t breath.. THANKS….(i want you to be a geniuses faster)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did you cry at the end?

Lucius
    Participant

“What’s “Daily Variety”, though?”

Daily Variety is pretty much the “Hollywood Newspaper”. It’s what all the big wigs read every morning to find out what the goings on of Hollywoodland is. (What movie deals were made, TV ratings, box office, etc.) Of course, if those high-powered executives don’t have their morning Variety…their assistants get ripped a new one, even if it’s not their fault. Trust me, I know.

Let’s all bow our heads for those bitched out assistants. Bless you all.

Click for more info.

http://www.variety.com

Lucius

rojachica
    Participant

It’s possible it *was* Shostakovich’s film music…he did quite a bit of it, in addition to concert music. I’m a bit disappointed that the NPR guy didn’t know that….but then, not everyone writes a master’s thesis on Dmitri. ;)

gaba
    Participant

Thanks very much for the explenation.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

Exactly, he wrote the score for The Battleship Potemkin, one of the most important film in the history of cinema. So it could have been that one…

Thor
    Participant

Actually, Edmund Meisel wrote the original score for BATTLESHIP, but there are other versions out there, with excerpts of Shostakovich symphonies.

rojachica
    Participant

Indeed. No fewer than ten published scores exist for BATTLESHIP, and there are dozens of unpublished ones. It’s a popular film. Shostakovich’s concert music (Symphonies No. 10 and 11, and part of 5) was used to “score” the reissue of the film in the 1970’s. Some of his original film music has been released on CD. The Gadfly, The Man with a Gun, Hamlet, King Lear, and 5 Days, 5 Nights are among the most popular.

It’s unlikely the classical radio station was playing Shostakovich’s film music. I don’t know for sure, but, as a rule, such stations (and orchestras) don’t perform film music, at least in the USA. But, like I said, Shostakovich’s concert music and his film music sound remarkably similar! Which can be said of many composers who engage in film and concert composition – which is great!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.