Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Nightmare Revisited – new album coming up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    gaba
    Participant

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i29faacc3d1f770ee4afe7d03eb4c35d2

Elfman, Korn, Plain White T’s Revisit ‘Nightmare’
    August 05, 2008 – Rock and Pop

By Ann Donahue, L.A.

Walt Disney Records will release “Nightmare Revisited,” a collection of covers and new recordings inspired by the 1993 film “Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas,” on Sept. 30.

Danny Elfman re-recorded “Opening” and “Closing” from the film’s score, and Korn, Amy Lee, Plain White T’s, Rise Against, Rodrigo y Gabriela and Flyleaf contribute their versions of songs from the soundtrack.

The CD also will include the movie trailer as a bonus feature.

The complete track listing is:

1. Overture – DeVotchka
    2. Opening – Danny Elfman
    3. This Is Halloween – Marilyn Manson
    4. Jack’s Lament – All American Rejects
    5. Doctor Finkelstein/In The Forest – Amiina
    6. What’s This? – Flyleaf
    7. Town Meeting Song – Polyphonic Spree
    8. Jack And Sally Montage – The Vitamin String Quartet
    9. Jack’s Obsession – Sparklehorse
    10. Kidnap The Sandy Claws – Korn
    11. Making Christmas – Rise Against
    12. Nabbed – Yoshida Brothers
    13. Oogie Boogie’s Song – Tiger Army
    14. Sally’s Song – Amy Lee
    15. Christmas Eve Montage – RJD2
    16. Poor Jack – Plain White Ts
    17. To The Rescue – Datarock
    18. Finale/Reprise – Shiny Toy Guns
    19. Closing – Danny Elfman
    20. End Title – The Album Leaf
    21. Oogie Boogie’s Song – Rodrigo y Gabriela

“Nightmare Before Christmas” has become a holiday standard for Disney – since its first release 15 years ago, it’s been re-released in theaters several times in both original and 3-D formats.

I am SO super-psyched about 7. Town Meeting Song – Polyphonic Spree, it’s beyond belief. Some of the CD might be seriously MEH, but the Polyphonic Spree were MADE for pieces like that.

guitarfreak
    Participant

All American Rejects? Flyleaf? Plain White Ts? You have got to be kidding me. It’s bad enough that Manson and Fall Out Boy were in the project before but now I’m really disgusted with some of these choices. Some of these instrumentals look like they’d be interesting; but that’s about it.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Wow, Shiny Toy Guys and Amiina!

Very cool news. NIGHTMARE is the gift that keeps on giving!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

NIGHTMARE doesn’t just belong to us. There are millions of fans of all shapes, sizes and tastes that love the film, the merch, the music. The more that know the name Danny Elfman the better, as far as I’m concerned!

gordonblu
    Participant

Interesting. Too bad it isn’t an expanded score from the actual film. Flyleaf piqued my interest though. My sister really likes that band. she played it for me in the car once, and the scream singing actually caused me to nod off I found it so soothing. I know, I’m weird. I wasn’t the one drinving by the way.

I never actually bought the previous re-release since I already owned the original CD and didn’t care much for the cover songs. However, if these new covers sound good I wouldn’t mind picking it up. Plus, with a new re-release I guess the old one will sell SUPER cheap since stores have to get rid of them in order to make room for the news ones.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

In my opinion, they need to quit BUTCHERING a classic! If I ever have to hear that intolerable, boyish, whiny version of Jack’s Lament, I’ll KILL something! And didn’t Marilyn Manson already do that song? EESH!

However, Fiona Apple’s contribution to the last one was quite nice. Maybe if they got some listenable talents doing this, I wouldn’t mind.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

It’s amazing how taste ranges from person to person. I thought the Fiona Apple performance was childish, bordering on satire!

Danny Burton
    Participant

Ugh, another reason for people to associate Elfman-Burton with the Hot Topic crowd. I hate seeing some people dismiss such talent because a certain group has adopted them as their own and reduced them to nothing but DARK.

The best part of this is that we will always have the original album and have the choice to simply avoid these kind of cash-ins. :)

Natrebo
    Participant

At least they didn’t go the Disney Radio route and have Hanna Montana and the Jonus Brothers doing covers!

chii
    Participant

I love Flyleaf, so I am really excited for this. I also enjoy Evanescence’s music (Amy Lee) so this should be interesting.

elfmanguy
    Participant

Yoshida Brothers! Those Yoshida Brothers? I gotta hear this. The thought of that instrumental being played on the shamisen is just mind blowing to me. Those Tiger Army and Rodrigo y Gabriela rendtions of Oogie Boogie’s song may be interesting as well.

Holy Crap. You’re right. We SHOULD be thankful that we didn’t get cover songs by Hannah Montana and the Jonas Bros. That would have just sucked.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Yeah Tiger Army is hardcore!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.