Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion No themes in Spider-man?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    rex
    Participant

FSM’s crew finally puts the rumors to rest :

http://media.libsyn.com/media/fsmpodcast/FSM_Podcast_025.mp3

rex

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Whoa whoa whoa, they didn’t once mention the REAL Spider-Man theme! The one that had mild statements in “Spider-Man” and huge, bold statements in “Spider-Man 2”! It follows what those guys believed was the Spider-Man theme and was most prominently heard in the second film’s “MJ’s New Life/Spidus Interruptus,” “The Bank/Saving May,” and “Train/Appreciation.” It’s a five-note piece and I can’t understand how they missed it. It’s my cell phone’s ring tone, dammit!

I’m not sure if I had heard that interview in which Elfman describes the backyard cue, but it seems so ridiculous that whoever was responsible for that wouldn’t let the new material be. I mean, I’ve heard what he wrote and it has almost no difference from their beloved temp track other than that it’s lengthened to match the scene! Talk about crazy city over there. Also I didn’t know there was an alternate version of the “Costume Montage” from the first movie — while I love what was finally accepted, the original piece was actually very nice.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

I’m not sure to follow you Spider-Fan, they did analyse the main Spider-Man theme…
    What theme are you talking about ?

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Break out the iTunes, pull up your “Spider-Man 2” playlist, and I shall demonstrate…

“MJ’s New Life/Spidus Interruptus”: 1:10-1:16, 1:19-1:25, and 2:17-2:22
    “The Bank/Saving May”: 3:37-3:43 and 4:18-4:22
    “Train/Appreciation: 1:10-1:15
    “Spider Fall” (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zy4MJyceiE4): 0:56-1:04

It also has appearances in the first “Spider-Man” score, though not as prominent as in the sequel…

“City Montage”: 1:07-1:11
    “Final Confrontation”: 2:12-2:18

This melody is what I’ve always interpreted as the Spider-Man theme, and I’ve always wished it was used more. While the theme that the FSM guys say is Spider-Man’s theme certainly gets a lot more play, I feel like it is more of a lead-in to the theme I’ve demonstrated.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

I see…
    Well to me that’s just a very classical variation around the main theme harmonics, a simple heroic sentence. In terms of these heroic variations, I actually prefer the one that follows the one you are referring to in Spider-Man 1 Main Titles (at 2:11 to 2:19). It leads the melody to new and more unexpected harmonics.

But I really consider those variations very minor in relation to the main Spider-Man theme, analysed in the FSM podcast. That’s the real Spider-Man theme to me because of its versatility and its slow but powerful progression…

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I definitely understand now that what you’re talking about is the Spider-Man theme, and its adaptations in “Spider-Man 3,” though ripped with little change from the main titles, make more sense now. Still, it’s worth noting that my impression of the theme was used lightly in the first movie and then used a lot more in the second movie, so it’s definitely a part of Spider-Man’s musical identity that Elfman intended to include. It’s a shame we couldn’t hear more of either theme in the most recent film installment…

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Complaints about no theme in Sleepy Hollow? There’s no WAY somebody can be that STUPID! That score has some of the most beautiful themes ever written.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Wow, really? Of all scores, they couldn’t find themes in “Sleepy Hollow”? The “Ichabod Crane” theme is very clear and plays many times during the score, with a beautiful version of it in the “A New Day!” that I often listen to over and over because it’s so amazing. Then there’s the very prominent “Horseman” theme which I can’t imagine anyone missing… it’s a very strong theme.

gaba
    Participant

Agreed. I understand some of their points, but “Sleepy Hollow” is madly thematic. It’s so classic that way, it’s hard to miss. And yet. :-]

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Agreed. I understand some of their points, but “Sleepy Hollow” is madly thematic. It’s so classic that way, it’s hard to miss.

Wow, never underestimate film score fans with an axe to grind, I guess.

sajrocks
    Participant

Someone has been posting the complete Spider-Man score on the YouTube. I didn’t even notice there was music on the bus ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKPItNr5y7I

ddddeeee
    Participant

There’s a lot of great music missing from the album. Peter climbing the wall and jumping across the buildings, Spidey saving the dumb kid at the parade, Spidey and Goblin’s second fight and a lot of The Final Confrontation being glaring omissions. Hope it eventually gets expanded.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Guys…I mean…it’s out there…since forever.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.