Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Oscar Nomination Tomorrow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Danny Burton
    Participant

Keeps your fingers crossed for Danny!

I’m sure he’s getting at least a song nod for Remains of the Day.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Don’t get your hopes up. I don’t think anything that came from “Brokeback Mountain” is going to lose this year, especially since the song from it won the Golden Globe. And the think, Danny scored Ang Lee’s last movie. I always had the feeling that Lee never really cared for Danny’s style, pointed out on the Hulk DVD features in which he said he told Danny not to write a Danny Elfman score, which is wrong in my book.

Danny Burton
    Participant

I can’t find it now, but I read a couple of weeks ago a list of all the elegible songs and BBM’s were not there. Apparently, there was a change in the rules this year and only songs that are integral part of the film can be considered for a nomination.

“A Love That Will Never Grow Old”, which was BBM’s best bet was heard only for a few moments in the radio during a scene.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I have a feeling that Danny will either get several nominations, or to at all.

…[Lee] pointed out on the Hulk DVD features in which he said he told Danny not to write a Danny Elfman score, which is wrong in my book.

I don’t recall Lee ever saying that in those words, but rather, he wanted Danny to write a score that he usually wouldn’t have the chance to write. It’s a more ethnic approach than any of his other scores.

But all of the filmmakers wanted Danny to work on the film, due to his great comic book track record.

Dawg Man
    Participant

No, I remember that too, in an Elfman interview. During the process Ang Lee would say stuff like “You’re sounding too much like Danny Elfman there.”

Well, duh.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Well at any event, that still doesn’t mean that Lee never cared for Danny’s style, he just wanted to get another sound element out of him. Hulk is still, obviously, very much a Danny Elfman score.

That aside, what about Corpse Bride, will that get a best animated picture nod?

Kipobe
    Participant

No noms period.

http://www.oscars.org/78academyawards/noms.html

Another brilliant year for Elfman, and yet no glory. The guy deserves much better!

elfmanguy
    Participant

Screwed again! Its maddening. Well at least Corpse Bride got a nod for best animated picture! Gotta go buy that DVD today! And Charlie got one for Costume design! At least those got a bit of love. Why do some categories have 3 nominiees instead of 5?

Ghost Moth
    Participant

Fuck it, what a shame. I really believed in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Inventive and impressionable work by Danny, and only something he could do. And “Remains of the Day” would have been cool for Best Song. I thought Johnny would get the nom for Geisha. I want to see Munich. I haven’t heard these other guys, so I hope they deserve the nominations. Pride and Prejudice; Christ, it would take Elfman scoring it for me to even be intertested in a Jane Austin movie.

Best Score Noms:

“Brokeback Mountain” (Focus Features) Gustavo Santaolalla
    “The Constant Gardener” (Focus Features) Alberto Iglesias
    “Memoirs of a Geisha” (Sony Pictures Releasing) John Williams
    “Munich” (Universal and DreamWorks) John Williams
    “Pride & Prejudice” (Focus Features) Dario Marianelli

Best Song Noms:

“In the Deep” from “Crash” (Lions Gate)
    Music by Kathleen “Bird” York and Michael Becker
    Lyric by Kathleen “Bird” York
    “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp” from“Hustle & Flow” (Paramount Classics, MTV Films and New Deal Entertainment)
    Music and Lyric by Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard
    “Travelin’ Thru” from “Transamerica” (The Weinstein Company and IFC Films)
    Music and Lyric by Dolly Parton

Phoe_Elfman
    Participant

stupid oscar -_-

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I think I’ve lost all hope I had in the Oscars. I was wiling to give them a chance if Danny got at least one nomination, but not only was he snubbed, but the nominations are just ridiculous! “The Constant Gardener” wasn’t even on the map, not was “Pride and Prejudice.” John Williams is always deserving, although I haven’t heard the “Geisha” music but I do like the “Munich” score. And the “Brokeback Mountain” nom is just because they didn’t want to not nominate something from that movie. Then there’s the song nominations. Nobody ever heard of the songs from “Crash” and “Hustle and Flow” and… Dolly Parton? It’s curious that they only nominated three songs, although I feel it was done intentionally to rule out any of Danny’s songs because of the way the Academy is. Screw you all! But luck to “Charlie” and “Corpse Bride” anyway. Even if they don’t win, they still made more money than almost all of the competitors, and that’s the bigger victory.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Yeah, I guessed rightly! Wee!

[Sobbing]

It’s the same rubbish every year. The score with the most prestige gets the nod. What the Hell is the criterion in which they assess what makes a score an achievement, anyway? It certainly isn’t inventiveness, or innovation.

And Revenge of the Sith didn’t get a special effects nomination? What kind of unprecedented malarkey is that?

Kipobe
    Participant

Well, either way I figured Williams would win it for Geisha. Didn’t hear it myself, but the buzz around it is big… and he won the Golden Globe for it which is usually a sign of what’s to come.

Spider-Fan, you’re right about Brokaback Mountain being on there. Truth be told, the Oscars are very limited in their perception. They don’t watch movies in a way that lets them take each part seperately piece by piece… so even though Chocolate Factory wouldn’t be up for Best Picture, it could be eligable for Best Score. I see this every year… only movies that generate alot of Oscar buzz in other categories are the ones that get any attention in the score category… which, within itself completely undermines the task of scoring and composing. In other words, the composer is just along for the ride if the movie is epic, and he can compose something epic.

Just about any composer worth their soul can compose an epic “sound” if the movie lends itself to that. A movie can drip “Oscar” but actually be fairly lame when stripped down. That’s why I’m not the biggest fan of John Williams… because I feel he gets far too much credit for the work he does in areas where many could step up and do the same deal. I’m not undermining his talent…. he is indeed talented… but not the best, in my opinion. But he does seem to hover around these epic types, and henceforth gets the recognition.

Then again, if that’s how the Oscars truly work… then I’m not sure if they’re worthy of Danny Elfman. He’s no tag-along…. he’s a genius that can’t be limited by award status in my mind.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

“It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp” from “Hustle & Flow”

Well, that just about sums up what the Oscars mean these days.

Danny Burton
    Participant

Those nominations are a pile of dog shit.

And they just HAD to nominate only three songs and leave Remains of the Day out. UGH. What a friggin joke those song nominations are. I REALLY hope they get Beyonce to sing all of them.
    ::eyesrollingoutofmyhead::

elfmanguy
    Participant

I have come to the conclusion that the academy is anti-fanboy. Burton screwed. Elfman screwed. Star Wars screwed. ARRRGGGHHH! Although Corpse Bride did get nominated but that was because they were hardly any other animated films out this year! I hope it wins.

Monsterhead
    Participant

What a dull list of music score noms. All Williams has to do is break wind and he’ll get nomintated – seriously…

Oh well. I’ll still watch.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

They forgot to nominate the music to this movie:

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Malcolm X…?

Spider-Fan
    Participant

By the way give a listen to the Soundtrack.net podcast, in which they talk about the nominations this year and gives samples of each score. It really goes to show that the Academy really isn’t giving a shit anymore, based on how much the “Brokeback Mountain” score royally sucked. At least last year’s nominated scores had melodies to them! The podcast is pretty enlightening concerning the process behind the nominations, so give it a listen.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.