Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion OSCARS SUCK BALLS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Spider-Fan
    Participant

Don’t be ashamed. Corpse Bride wasn’t the best; I didn’t even buy the DVD. I loved the score, but the songs were admittedly unfulfilling, although “Remains of the Day” was hundreds of times better than “It’s hard out here for a pimp” and everyone knows it. Did those “grillz” scare anyone? And who else was pissed off by Dolly Parton?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

The film itself, and yes, Danny’s score and songs were extremely disappointing.

I what way did they disappoint you?

I really think they had it in them to do a million times better.

That is many times better.

RCox
    Participant

Look, not everyone is going to like “The Corpse Bride.” Just because someone was profoundly disappointed in it doesn’t mean they have to fully explain themselves. I also preferred “Wallace and Grommit,” and would rather have Burton win for something better, like “Big Fish” or “Ed Wood.” “The Corpse Bride” touches on a lot of interesting things, but its brief running time prevents further exploring and development. Perhaps that is where “Wallace and Grommit” found its edge, what with the characters having been featured in a few earlier shorts.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Yes, I think WALLACE AND GROMMIT was a better film. Better animation and better story, thus better film

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Yes, I think WALLACE AND GROMMIT was a better film. Better animation…

Do you think that when you can see the animators fingerprints imprinted in the clay, it diminishes Wallace and Grommit’s supremacy somewhat?

Look, not everyone is going to like “The Corpse Bride.” Just because someone was profoundly disappointed in it doesn’t mean they have to fully explain themselves.

I’m not trying to be pugnacious. I’m just trying to understand why someone would strongly dislike Corpse Bride.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

That’s fine, that’s your opinion.

Now you must wear the scarlett letter ;)

Ryan

Monsterhead
    Participant

Do you think that when you can see the animators fingerprints imprinted in the clay, it diminishes Wallace and Grommit’s supremacy somewhat?

What?!?!?! That’s like dismissing a piece of art work cause you can see brush strokes! C’mon….

TenderLumpling
    Participant

That’s like dismissing a piece of art work cause you can see brush strokes!

Be that as it may, the stop-motion animation in Corpse Bride has to be some of the absolute best ever, bar none.

The sequence with the Corpse Bride dancing, for example, is so extraordinarily fluid and precise that I find Curse of the Were-Rabbit to be stiff by contrast.

I know of people who actually felt that Corpse Bride wasn’t stop-motion at all, but some sort of new CG/puppet hybrid.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I never saw Wallace and Gromit, but I’ve seen other Aardman shorts and the content bored me like crazy. Clearly I’m not getting that British side of humor (I’m more for the kind from Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg with their “Shaun of the Dead” — genius). I don’t really like their style, either. I found the animation in “Corpse Bride” to be far superior. So, while it wasn’t my favorite Burton movie and while I didn’t see W&G, I still would have personally voted for Corpse Bride (kinda goes without saying).

RCox
    Participant

Of course, it is not the quality of animation that determines the winner. Clearly, fingerprints played little, if any, part in the judging.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Clearly, fingerprints played little, if any, part in the judging.

Hmm, what did, I wonder?

SleepyHello
    Participant

1. I HATE musicals where there’s songs that go on and on and sound like regular film dialogue, but just being sung for the sake of it. I felt that a lot during Corpse Bride. Also, the melodies and themes just felt very uninspired and dull. I didn’t feel like I could sing along with any of them, like I did with almost every song in NMBC.

2. In regards to how it looked, it WAS a million times better. But it doesn’t matter how nice a film looks if it fails to grab me.

RCox
    Participant

(Keep in mind that this is a sarcastic answer) The Weinsteins!

Danny_Trejo
    Participant

Ha! i tought it was a rip-off of a Paul McCartney song called Blackbird….

cool off..

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I HATE musicals where there’s songs that go on and on and sound like regular film dialogue, but just being sung for the sake of it.

Like the Town Meeting Song?

Also, the melodies and themes just felt very uninspired and dull.

Compared to what, the Batman theme? The Corpse Bride main title has to be one of Elfman’s best theme’s in recent memory.

I didn’t feel like I could sing along with any of them, like I did with almost every song in NMBC.

Do you think that’s because you’ve had the time to memorize them?

SleepyHello
    Participant

Man, you best back off. That’s my opinion and you ain’t changin’ it.

THIS is why I didn’t want to say anything.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I’m not trying to change your opinion. I’m trying to understand it.

When someone says that a really good Elfman theme is uninspired and dull, I’d like to know why. If you won’t articulate why you feel a certain way — and I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t — than please, just say so; not doing so, is a disservice to this board… with all due respect.

RCox
    Participant

Maybe the Academy just really wanted to honor a stop motion animated feature film that had Helena Bonham Carter in it.

Also, does it really matter if you understand SleepyHello’s opinion? I loved Elfman’s work on that horrible “Planet of the Apes” despite all the complaints from the film score community that it was dull and droning. I don’t understand their opinion but I accept it.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Ultimately, if you love something, it doesn’t really matter what others think. But sometimes, people say these kinds of open-ended talking points about whatever, and sometimes I’ll call them on their Bull. And more often than not, they get very pissy about it.

(The open-ended talking point’s thing doesn’t apply to this board, just to be clear.)

SleepyHello
    Participant

sorry, I guess you could say i was kind of in a bad mood and a little under the influence when I wrote that. basically, I’m not as good as I wish I was at articulating some things, and how I feel about corpse bride is one of those things. I only really watched it once, and that one time it just didn’t feel right. maybe I was expecting TOO much. I don’t know. I’ll probably have to watch it a few more times to let the true brillaince wash over me, as is the case with some Elfman scores. but this time, as wasn’t the case with NMBC, it just didn’t hit me automatically.

who knows. but as of right now, I honestly feel Wallace and Gromit deserved the oscar. and believe me, as big of a Burton/Elfman fan as I am, I wish it wasn’t the case.

RCox
    Participant

If I had a magic wand, I would give Elfman an Oscar for “Remains of the Day,” Williams for the score to “Munich,” and the best picture Oscar to “Munich,” as well.

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.