Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Schizophrenic fish?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Weepy Donut
    Participant

Does anyone else feel like Elfman’s use of Serenada for an IMAX movie was a little “sellout-ish”? This is almost on the same line as James Horner’s recycling of themes for every other goddamn movie. It’s safe to assume Danny wasn’t really thinking about sea horses and manta rays when he wrote Serenada Schizophrania. I mean… why take the one and only origional, non-movie work you’ve done, then, months later, decide to eliminate the whole point by tacking it on to some movie concerning fish? On that interview on Myspace where Elfman talks about Serenada, he mentions a few things about what has actually motivated these pieces and about some of the images they create. Why would anyone want these origional ideas and ballads to be associated with ANYTHING other than it’s origional intention? There has to be a logical explaination for this. It’s not hard for Danny to write a few new themes in the time it took him to work on this project…
    So what’s the deal?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

You’re wrong. Elfman wrote thirty minutes of music based on “Serenada” for DEEP SEA 3D. Deborah Lurie wrote an additional 10 minutes based on Elfman’s material. This is all original music for DEEP SEA 3D (the film is a 3D Imax movie, and runs just north of forty-minutes). Elfman managed to record “Serenada” by scoring DEEP SEA, so he didn’t sell out at all. The chance that “Serenada” will now be released on CD is directly because he scored DEEP SEA 3D!

Ryan

Thor
    Participant

Yes, but I can still see where Weepy Donut is coming from. The score isn’t fully original, and although many “practical” concerns made it easier to do it this way (get the work recorded etc.) and although the music may fit like a glove nonetheless, there’s still the question of “divine inspiration” – so to speak – that was missing.

I see this for what it is….an interesting experiment…..but I would of course have preferred a wholly original score.

TJ

boingomusic
    Participant

PLEEEEEEAAAAASE !!!!

Maybe I’m stupid, but I still don’t get it!!!!

What has been recorded ????

Has The Original Serenada Concert work been recorded ?
    Or is it only the adaptation for the DEEP SEA 3D that has been recorded ???

And then, what’s going to be released?

The original concert work ?
    Or the soundtrack to the DEEP SEA 3D movie ???

I really hope we’ll get both versions….

Thor
    Participant

The IMAX score adaptation has obviously been recorded for use in the film itself. I don’t think the original concert work has been recorded yet.

As for a CD release of either of these two versions, I’m not sure. We were discussing this very same matter in the thread just below this one.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

The concert work has been recorded :

http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=172

Thor
    Participant

Yes, but that report is from the IMAX adaptation of the concert work, and NOT the original concert work as it was performed in Carnegie Hall.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

It breaks down like this:

“Serenada Schizophrena” was recorded in Los Angeles with John Mauceri conducting.

DEEP SEA 3D is thirty minutes of score based on material from “Serenada”.

The other 10 additional minutes of score was adapted by Deborah Lurie.

All the music has been recorded.

I emailed Richard Kraft last night to see if there was any plans to release the music and he said there are none at this time. This could change. I don’t consider myself high enough on the foodchain to get fed info like that, so perhaps Mr. Kraft is keeping the details to himself at this time. I am sure some film music outlet will have the news long before I find out!

Ryan

johnmullin
    Participant

I posted this in another thread, but I think it speaks to some of the concerns here:

Date: February 26, 2006 05:34PM

I think there WILL be a Serenada release eventually, but who knows when. By the way, I’ve heard both Serenada and the music in the movie, and trust me when I say that both are outstanding. Initially, I didn’t care much about the music for the picture, but my mind was changed pretty damn fast on that one.

There’s an article on soundtrack.net that describes this all way better, but they recorded the whole thing in Decemeber and then tracked it into parts of the movie. Elfman THEN wrote about 25 minutes of totally new music using the Serenada themes, but completely rethinking the orchestration and everything. Parts of the score go from movement one right into movement four and then back… it’s all really fresh and really good! The new music was recorded in January and conducted by Pete Anthony. It certainly does not feel like it was just tacked in there.

In ways, more dynamic and chilling than Serenda itself! Debra Lurie wrote about 10 minutes in addition to that, but most of what she did are adaptations of sections from Serenada. There is one section involving turtles that she scored with kinda a 50s doowop thing… it sounds nothing like the rest of the score, but really works in context!

Anyway, this is all a long way of saying that the score in the picture is really good, and I hope that the album (should there be one!) includes the six movments plus at least some of the Deep Sea cues, if not all of them (everything together totals around 75 minutes).

Thor
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification – once again! – Ryan. The main point here is that no CD is planned as of yet – neither of the original concert work nor the IMAX adaptation. So we just have to be patient.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

I’ve BEEN patient. It’s been a YEAR now, and I need to listen to this! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.