Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Shirley Walker co-wrote the Batman score , what is it ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Elfman
    Participant

I recently read a topic about Shirley walker possibly co-composed the score of the first Batman, what is this all about ? Is that REALY true ?

As someone can proof crearly what is all about, because if is true, why they did’nt mention the works of Shirley Walker and why it,s not mention, on the score album : ”Music by Danny Elfman and Shirley Walker” ????

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Pay no heed all of those misinformed, mentally handicapped individuals that claim Shirly Walker co-wrote the Batman score, because it’s not true! :)

Dawg Man
    Participant

For BATMAN, Walker conducted the score. Period. There’s a difference between “writing” and “conducting” and she would have gotten a bigger credit for writing. Case in point, she got credit for writing one cue in NightBreed.

Elfman writes his own music. I think after twenty years that’s pretty obvious at this point. If not, that would be the grand high record for faking it.

People probably come to the conclusion that Walker’s his “ghost-writer” because she later did the Batman: Animated Series, which used the same timbre and sound as the first two Batman movies. Her work on The Flash, likewise, had a strong Elfman feel. She isn’t Elfman though. He’s worked on several movies WITHOUT her.

Elfman
    Participant

Thanks, I’m happy to know that, because in the moment, I thought that it was a conspiracy, and I was afraid about Shirley had co-composed this score.

I don’t have anything else against the work of Mrs. Walker, but her style is perticular similar (I mean her orchestration).

So, this is realy the works of Danny Elfman for Batman, I’m very happy !!!

Thanks !!!

:)

chocothrax
    Participant

Pretty much all composers with the exception of Williams use ghost writers who don’t get credit. When your under such a time crunch ya need em.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

It was Shirley Walker who wrote the Batman: The Animated Series theme, right? I always get confused about that one. I absolutely love what she did with it.

chocothrax
    Participant

Batman Animated Series (From 1992) 84 eps. Composer

Yeah she did 84 episodes. I like her Mask of the Phantasm batman score.

BATMAN
    Participant

It is curious as to WHY on her website it lists her as co-composer.
    Otherwise it’s demonstrably true that Elfman writes his own music. I remember a few interviews where Bartek and he explain the process. He composes orchestral drafts and prepares his own mock-ups. And the orchestration is “prepared” by Bartek and Co. News to the world: It’s really freaken tough and time consuming to write orchestral music, especially the dense action cues. No one recognizes how much work it is.
    So not only is Danny working to the limits of his conceptual abilities, there are all sorts of tedious details about preparing the music to be performed and recorded.
    The best anology I have heard of is comparing the film composers to architects (architecture also a forgotten and underrated artform).
    The composer comes up with the creative part as the architect creates design. A team of draftsmen prepare the drawings, under his supervision, and in the end his creative vision is brought to life. The composer invents the musical material, he has colors and instrumentation in his head, orchestrators prepare it, and the end product is what he desired.
    The acting principle here is that Elfman can change orchestrators, and it always will have the “Elfman Sound”.

The only argument that can be made is that film composers, who want to have or be known for their “artistic purity” should need these people helping them. The truth of course is that it’s the nature of the beast. “Not enough time” has been the rule from Steiner to Elfman. Unfortunately even the esteemed John Williams whom I love uses orchestrators. Only difference is that he doesn’t credit them in Albums.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Shows what you know — Williams has used a ghostwriter, Fred Steiner, on RETURN OF THE JEDI. Thanks for contributing to the misinformation…

Ryan

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

The listing on her site — the one I created and run — is an error that I haven’t seen until now! Her Filmog is gigantic. I had a lot of problems coding it many years ago.

Ryan

chocothrax
    Participant

I meant to write probably with the exception of Williams. Congrats though on your contribution of misinformation on Shirley’s site.

LittleMaestro
    Participant

I heard that John Williams sometimes has his son write some of his stuff also. I am not saying it’s true… I just heard it.

Elfman
    Participant

So, Mr. Keaveney, it realy the Danny Elfman’s work for Batman or not ?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Everything is Elfman’s. I’ll stake everything on it!

Ryan

chocothrax
    Participant

There’s still Steven Scott Smalley who was an orchestrator on Batman who has an orchestration course in L.A. and New York where he provides samples from Batman that show Elfman sketches and then his work with extra harmonies and melodies. Anyways I know this stuff makes people mad so i’ll stop now. :) Danny is still my favourite composer wether he had help or not…not a big deal.

chocothrax
    Participant

Oh and Ryan did you make Brian Tyler’s site? That’s one sweet looking site.

Elfman
    Participant

Mr. Chocothrax, Ryan said : ” Everything is Elfman’s. I’ll stake everything on it! ”

That’s all !!! This case is closed…

chocothrax
    Participant

Ok.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

All I have to say is where is Elfman now and where the fuck is Steve Scott Smalley now? Shilling orchestration courses!!

Ryan

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I did, thank you.

Ryan

dorkman555
    Participant

Brian Tyler’s site does look very cool. I didn’t see any photos from Buba Ho-Tep though.

That’s like the best movie ever!!! (Top 10,000 at least!)

You could pull still immages off the DVD’s behind the scenes clips if you can’t find them anywhere else.

chocothrax
    Participant

I never saw Buba Ho-Tep but I listened to a clip or two of it on Brian’s site and didn’t like it that much. Greatest Game ever played has really nice music except for the theme he stole from Legends of the Fall.

chocothrax
    Participant

Well Steven Scott Smalley doesn’t have it all that bad. He makes a lot of money from these courses and I think he likes teaching aspiring composers. While Danny has fame and lots of money he also has an incredibly hard and stressful job. Although Danny does have Fonda…. :)

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’m pretty sure Scott Smalley would trade up in a heartbeat. Sounds like a bitter guy to me.

Ryan

chocothrax
    Participant

Why do you say that? People that have taken the course say he’s a great guy… I’m sure Scott has had enough of the stress of helping on a film score. I believe in his course he even talks about certain energy boosting things to take to keep you up 20 hours a day. :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.