Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Someone Needs to Start a “Wanted” Oscar Campaign

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

As Ben Stiller’s character says in Tropic Thunder, “it’s all very political.”

Someone at Universal needs to seriously start a campaign to get Danny Elfman a Best Score and Song Oscar nomination. Milk is good and all, but Wanted deserves it more.

I missed Wanted in theaters, but saw it today (thanks to Netflix) and the score is so amazing. I did buy the CD back in the summer and liked it a lot, but it’s hard to judge these things out of content. But, anyway, yea someone needs to get started on this. rkeaveney , man, give some of your peeps at Universal a call and see what the plans are. They have to be ATLEAST campaigning for The Little Things as Best Song.

EDIT:

I just thought of this, if Elfman is nominated for “The Little Things” he would be performing it at the telecast. That was be sooooo awesome! Cross your fingers, guys.

Natrebo
    Participant

Because of the film I believe Milk would have a better chance at being nominated this year. I would be nice to see Wanted nominated, but ultimately I think Milk would even have a better chance at winning the way the Oscar Members vote… especially if the members want to give Milk some love.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

This is a delicate situation. Push Elfman for WANTED, and you sacrifice MILK. When a composer is nominated twice, their odds of winning actually diminish! Contrary to the natural law of chance, I know.

Who’s behind this then? It may very well be the people who “handle” Danny’s career. While he has stated he does not care about winning Academy Awards, the people who represent him obviously do. They must think that MILK has a better shot.

I agree though, WANTED really should be pushed for Best Song. Of Elfman’s scores this year, it is my favourite (though in true fashion, I love them all).

Unfortunately there’s little I can do to help WANTED. And I think Elfman cares even less about my help than he does a shiny new statuette in his studio!

I guess I can live with a MILK best score nomination, but “The Little Things” needs a Best Song nomination. Especially since that means that Elfman would be performing it at the telecast. Even if he loses one or both awards just seeing him perform would be satisfying.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Elfman won’t get nominated for anything, and either will “Wanted”. Mark my words.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Yeah, I mean, when was the last REALLY good film score honored with an Oscar???

That Brokeback Mountain score in 2005. It’s considered a joke now cause of all those YouTube videos using the score for Brokeback spoofs, but it’s still a great piece of music nonetheless.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

You mean the score that basically took the APOLLO 13 theme and arranged it for solo guitar? That’s brilliant…!

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Yeah, I mean, when was the last REALLY good film score honored with an Oscar???

Ha, ha. Are you suggesting that Babel WASN’T the best score of 2006? :)

Natrebo
    Participant

1999 – 2003 contained good scores as the winners, the BEST? – Maybe to some (each of those scores had their merits at least). Favorite from that period for me was probably The Red Violin in 1999.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

“Finding Neverland” anyone? I liked that score. By the way, did anyone hear that Michael Giacchino is conducting the orchestra at the Oscars this year? That guy is rising fast, and deservedly so.

In other news…looks like WB paid some people good money to have The Dark Knight score by that hack Hans Zimmer back in competition.

Academy Reverses Decision on Dark Knight Score!
    Source: Variety
    December 9, 2008

Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard are back in contention for an Oscar nomination, reports Variety.

The Music Branch Executive Committee of the Academy has reversed its Nov. 10 decision declaring their score for The Dark Knight ineligible for the 2008 Academy Awards.

The score was disqualified due to five names being listed as composers on the music cue sheet.

After reviewing information submitted by the affected parties, the committee concluded that two, Zimmer and Howard, were responsible for the score’s authorship.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

“Finding Neverland” anyone?

Better than Spider-Man 2, or Harry Potter 3?

lonzoe
    Participant

I was going to start a new thread on Wanted , but I decided to post my comment here. It’s a little off topic. I just saw Wanted two days ago. And i bought the CD a few days after ithe movie opened in theatres and had some questions .
    1. “Wesley’s Office Life”, “Train”, and “Revenge” sound different in the movie. Did Elfman write alternates? Or was it something like POTA where he was working on the CD before he finished scoring the movie?

2. I don’t remember hearing “Exterminator Beat” in the film. Was that made for the CD? If not do you know what scene it was written for?

3. Was “Fate” written for the end credits other than “Little Things” ?

4. Also i saw that additional music was used for this movie by Dave Reynolds and Deborah Lurie. Anyone know exactly what they wrote?

BTW, I agree that Elfman should get a best song nomination. I’m not saying that because I ‘m an Elfmanite. When I saw how it was used in the film I was even more impressed by it. And wonder why nobody talks about that song like with other movies of this kind. I hope the oscars take notice this year unlike “06” with “Remains of the Day” three songs got nominated that year and out of the three Three 6 Mafia won. In 2003, Eminem won for 8 mile. Come on. I agree Elfman should be nominated for Milk eventhough I still haven’t heard it yet but going off fan reactions and the buzz the movie’s getting. Hopefully.

P.S. That’s B.S. about The Dark Knight being eligible for an oscar nomination. Popularity contest at the Oscars. Not to menton they’re a bunch of hypocrits. But we Elfmanites already knew that.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Ionzoe, David Reynolds wrote two cues — the first was when Wesley is scooped into the Viper and the second was the train wreck. Not sure what Deb Lurie wrote, however.

“Fate” I believe is the cue heard when Fox fires the arcing bullet that takes out the other assassins.

D-Bo
    Participant

Ryan, the cue you’re thinking of for that scene is “Fox’s Decision.”

Monsterhead
    Participant

Finding Neverland was dribble. So was Attonement. So was Brokeback and Babel. The last great one was Shore’s first Lord of The Rings. That music will live on forever…

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I don’t mean to say that “Finding Neverland” was better than everything else that year, but it’s one of the few recent Oscar-winning scores that I actually enjoy listening to.

Thor
    Participant

Oscar schmoskar…

I’m interested in the Oscar ceremony, but only because of the stars – to see them live and interact with each other. That’s it. The prizes themselves mean nothing. I’m in it for the PARTY! :)

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

“The Little Things” from WANTED is one of 49 eligible for “Best Song”…

http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_article/VR1117997506.html?nav=news&categoryid=1982&cs=1

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.