Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion The Dark Knight trailer with Elfman score

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    TenderLumpling
    Participant

Wow. It actually makes the trailer seem exciting.

It’s funny how many fan trailers there are out there juxtaposing Elfman’s music with the Nolan material.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Hmm….it doesn’t work for me sorry. Elfman’s music really need the gohic approach to work.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Batman looks very gothic to me.

Elfman’s music could work with Nolan’s Batman world, but these people who make the videos always pick the wrong track. Nolan wants his Batman to be as grounded “as possible” so you need the least over the top music.

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

Agreed. The trailer is amazing regardless of which score they use.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

It works pretty well, though I think the Zimmer music still made for a really intense trailer. Either way, as agreed, this is a fantastic trailer.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Nolan wants his Batman to be as grounded “as possible” so you need the least over the top music.

Well, when you see Batman gliding across Gotham, and smashing in car roofs with his feet, and driving into windows with his Batcycle, that is over the top. And that’s great. It’s Batman doing Batman stuff. I do not understand why the music needs to be in direct conflict with the imagery. I don’t buy the argument that a more realistic Batman movie equals a modern, subdued film score, especially when the tone of Nolan’s Batman isn’t that far off from Batman the Animated Series.

Of course there will be some over the top and fantastical stuff, but Nolan wants his Batman grounded. Unlike Burton who had a more theatrical Batman,

TenderLumpling Wrote:

> Nolan wants his Batman to be as grounded “as
    > possible” so you need the least over the top
    > music.
    >
    > Well, when you see Batman gliding across Gotham,
    > and smashing in car roofs with his feet, and
    > driving into windows with his Batcycle, that is
    > over the top. And that’s great. It’s Batman doing
    > Batman stuff. I do not understand why the music
    > needs to be in direct conflict with the imagery. I
    > don’t buy the argument that a more realistic
    > Batman movie equals a modern, subdued film score,
    > especially when the tone of Nolan’s Batman isn’t
    > that far off from Batman the Animated Series.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

… but Nolan wants his Batman grounded. Unlike Burton who had a more theatrical Batman…

Well never mind if Nolan truly achieved that (the finale did get rather goofy in Batman Begins), Nolan’s Batman and the animated Batman are relatively similar tonally, and the Animated Series has that lush score that one would come to expect to go with all that great Batman imagery from “Begins.”

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I re-watched “Batman Returns” last night. Still an amazing movie. But I do sense the tonal differences between the Burton/TAS Batman and the Nolan Batman, and while I still love Elfman’s music a zillion times more, the Zimmer music is really planting itself in the new franchise. It felt especially powerful in the “Dark Knight” trailer when the title came up and the horns blasted the new Batman motif.

Nolan’s Batman and the animated series from Bruce Timm and Paul Dini are not the same. The Timm/Dini Batman was less theatrical than Burton’s Batman but it still had a lot of fantasy elements. I mean…remember the episodes with Man-Bat, Clay Face, etc? Those are characters you’ll never see in Nolan’s world.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I think somebody could do a really good job cutting together some of Elfman’s BATMAN music to this trailer, but this video just lays the audio right over without much attention to what’s going on onscreen.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

No one is advocating that the music in Batman Begins should be as big as the animated Batman show, but I simply do not understand how “realism” necessitates a generally modern, soothing score with synthetic brass.

JMY
    Participant

Whats up with all of these sad attempts to remake everything with old Elfman music?

Cant people just accept that Elfman doesn´t do Bat-music anymore =)?

Elfman/Burton and Nolan/Zimmer-Howard = Great scores. Just dont try to mix em together

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Here’s another one!

This one isn’t very good. But at least the music doesn’t sound like The Rock.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.