Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion The (Grand) Finales

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’d like to do a thread entirely devoted to Danny Elfman finales. I’m listening to “Finale/End Credits” from DARKMAN and man is it good. Is there any Hollywood composer who has written more, great finales then Elfman? I don’t think there is.

I’ll get it started with these great enders:

BIG FISH: “Finale”
    Eleven-plus minutes! This cue carries the entire climax of the film. Gorgeous.

DICK TRACY: “Finale”
    Short, but sweet. A rolling, rollicking statement of the main theme.

DOLORES CLAIBORNE: “Finale”
    Cuts straight to the bone. There is no more bleak, wonderfully depressing scores than DOLORES, and I love her for that.

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS: “The Grand Finale”
    There’s a reason it’s called “Grand” and not just “Finale”. Reduce your mom to tears today — play this!

MEN IN BLACK: “Finale”
    Oscar-nominated, because of this ass-kicker? A nod to Herrmann here, but wow, if you want to send ’em out of the theater on a high, this is the way to do it.

MEN IN BLACK II: “Finale”
    Elfman’s shortest! That’s why it’s noteworthy. Ahahaha.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Oh boy, you got me started on the finales. Let me note that I love his use of choir in them and that they are often my favorite parts of the score.

SPIDER-MAN: “Farewell”
    After the “Main Titles,” this was the track that introduced me to the genius that is Danny Elfman, with a sweeping, colorful, gorgeous cue that summed up the entire movie and had an ominous tone to it that prepared us for the sequel. I can listen to the final swing over and over and over again and I appreciate it even more with every consecutive listen.

SPIDER-MAN 2: “At Long Last, Love”
    When I first heard this from the “Spidey Suite” before the movie was released, I knew I was in for addition to one of my favorites. I’m not afraid to say I got a bit teary when I heard the sequel’s finale, for it was changed just enough to tell me Danny worked hard on this new score and made me feel ready for more. Chris Young, my expectations are high, so screw up and you’re in big trouble.

CORPSE BRIDE: “Finale”
    I just rented the movie and watched it twice, adding to the two times I saw it in the theater, and the finale music combined with the visuals is absolutely breathtaking. He works a choir like nobody else can. My mom actually was crying at this point.

MEN IN BLACK: “Finale”
    Awesome all the way. This is exactly how a movie should end. Kudos to Sonnenfeld for ending the movie with such a bang, and double kudos to Danny for writing such a spectacular, big cue for a spectacular ending. I listened to just the final section of this at least 20 times over and over while on a bus traveling through Italy, and now I’ve got such a fond memory in my head of going through the countryside with this finale in mind.

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS: “Grand Finale”
    Perfect end to a perfect movie. The music really started something that people have tried to mimic many times, but not with the same effect as Danny’s score. The choir, the bells, the snow…whenever it’s snowing outside, I immediately play this track.

SLEEPY HOLLOW: “A New Day!”
    After such a long and creepy musical journey, it’s such a pleasure to cap off the score with this upbeat and delightful piece. The boy’s choir shines through and the lower tones come in to compliment it so well. Best of all, the voices blend so nicely with the orchestra to create a very pleasing sound.

BATMAN: “Finale”
    The earliest of his scores that had the big quality that I’m so fond of, and the finale to this movie sealed the deal for me. Big, brassy, heroic, epic… it’s just a brilliant piece of music that has all of the grand and dark properties of his style.

BATMAN RETURNS: “The Finale”/”End Credits”
    This includes the to tracks of the finale. First, the death of the Penguin that is just to tragic with the music reflecting upon this, even though the character was a villain. Then comes the demise of Catwoman, which starts off very dark and ends with a heroic statement of the Batman theme that, like in “Spider-Man 2,” gave me the feeling that there would me more to come, yet it never did. Then when the end credits start, it’s all-out Batman, with the motifs of the villains coming in later on, including the amazing clarinet theme for Catwoman. A truly great listen that shows that Danny’s not willing to reuse his old stuff for sequels — he produces new, original, amazing material that generally surpasses the original.

This was fun. Perhaps a “Main Titles” thread sometime later on?

D-Bo
    Participant

Just to add it here for now, until I get a bit more detailed review.

THE FAMILY MAN: “Grand Finale/End Credits”
    Quite simply one of the most beautiful of Elfman’s finales I’ve heard. Just over five minutes in length.

Ross Marshall
    Participant

I liked the Finale for “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” myself. And of course ALL the ones mentioned above. :-)

BLD379
    Participant

My top 5 Elfman Finales:

5. Men in Black
    4. Dick Tracy
    3. Edward Scissorhands
    2. Batman Returns
    1. Batman

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

My favorites are Sleepy Hollow, Edward Scissorhands, and The Family Man.

elfmanguy
    Participant

The 6 finales that make me get the most emotional and/or make me feel the most empowered are as follows:

1.Charlie and the Chocolate factory
    2.Batman
    3.Batman Returns
    4.Edward Scissorhands
    5.Big Fish
    6.Spiderman

RCox
    Participant

I’ve always been fond of “Burning $” from A Simple Plan.

chocothrax
    Participant

The greatest finale of all is the Grand Finale from Scissorhands.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.