Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion The Green Hornet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Scott Bettencourt’s excellent series Composer Countdown finished today with part four. There’s Danny Elfman at #2 (second only to Hans Zimmer in terms of sheer magical powers in Hollywood). FSM drops a bomb here, reporting that Elfman will score Michel Gondry’s THE GREEN HORNET! The film isn’t in theatres until December, 2010, so this thread should grow and grow until then…

Film synopsis (in case you didn’t know what The Green Hornet is…)

“A classic character of film, television, radio, and comic books returns to the big screen in Columbia Pictures’ feature film The Green Hornet, starring Seth Rogen as the vigilante crime-fighter. The film will be directed by Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) from a screenplay written by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg (Superbad, Pineapple Express), based upon “The Green Hornet” radio series created by George W. Trendle, and produced by Neal H. Moritz (The Fast and the Furious).”

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yippie!!!!!

Not to mention the band Anvil will be featured in the film as well. This movie keeps sounding better and better!

I was just thinking of this: do you think Elfman is gonna give Kato an oriental theme? I’m curious to hear what Asian-inspired music by Elfman sounds like. It will be something different for him. A challenge. It’s what he likes.

sandyclaws
    Participant

I hope he sticks to the jazzy score like the original theme.

Natrebo
    Participant

Remember, the Green Hornet’s theme is “flight of the bumblebee” by Rimsky-Korsakov, so it would be nice to here the Russian/Jazz combination as the elements in this score… like a jazzy Wanted sound. That would be cool!!!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’d like to see them needle-drop a vintage pop or lounge version of “Flight of The Bumblebee” and let Elfman write his score seperate.

Ryan

The Green Hornet theme is iconic though. So, I see this being like in “Mission: Impossible” where Elfman uses the theme a few times, but also does his own.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Remember, the Green Hornet’s theme is “flight of the bumblebee” by Rimsky-Korsakov, so it would be nice to here the Russian/Jazz combination as the elements in this score

That would be fantastic! Can’t argue with that.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Seth Rogen? Ug….

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

No kidding. Pineapple Express is one of the most tedious movies I’ve ever sat through!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

PINEAPPLE was genius compared to OBSERVE & REPORT, the most inept, amateurish, sloppy, piss-poor excuse for a studio-made movie I saw in 2009.

Lucius
    Participant

Wow, tell us how you really feel about it, Ryan. It’s okay, I know you and Mullin hated it. But I liked it, if that matters. Who’s with me? (holds up high five) Really? No one? Fine, F you too! ;)

Lucius

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I liked it! It was really well directed and the characters were great!

Lucius
    Participant

Good work, Spider Fan. Here’s your high five…you…you’ve earned it! (SLAP)

Lucius

sandyclaws
    Participant

Observe an Report made me uncomfortable from beginning to end. It was painful to watch.

Pineapple Express had its funny moments, mostly from Franco, but had major identity crisis.

I’m hoping Green Hornet doesn’t take itself too serious. Could be a lot of fun, with a score I hope that is similar in style as his Mission: Impossible score but with a more tongue in cheek approach.

Lucius
    Participant

The other thing Green Hornet has that peaks my interest is MIchael Gondry directing it. I know all his movie have been hit or miss, but he’s a really creative, visual filmmaker with a great sense of humor, so i’m curious to see what he comes up with. Not to mention Christoph Waltz as the bad guy. Well, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Lucius

I hope that is similar in style as his Mission: Impossible score but with a more tongue in cheek approach.

I highly doubt he’s going in that direction. Why? Because I don’t think that’s the reason Gondry and Rogen (whose a writer/producer on the film) hired him. To begin with, “The Green Hornet” is rooted in jazz as a result of the iconic theme score from the series. Elfman loves jazz. Secondly, it’s a pulp hero like Dick Tracy. Elfman scored Warren Beatty’s adaptation of Dick Tracy. And, finally, Elfman is the superhero guy.

So, I see it being a combination of the following three…in STYLE/GENRE that is:

elfboy91
    Participant

11/08/2009!!! That’s my Birthday!!! Thanks Descent! Made my day!

Lucius
    Participant

Looks like we may be waiting a bit longer.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/green-hornet-adds-3-d-to-the-mix-moves-back-four-weeks-as-a-result

[and yes Ryan, I made sure this wasn’t an Ain’t It Cool News article ;) ]

Lucius

The trailer will premiere tonight during the Jimmy Kimmel show.

Here’s a preview of tonight’s trailer:

DannyBiker
    Participant

And now, the movie…:)

Based on the footage, Danny’s score will be another Mission: Impossible/Kingdom/Wanted type score. I was hoping for some retro-ness, so Danny could use Jazz in his composition. Even if he tried it wouldn’t fit.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.