Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion The Unknown Known: The Life and Times of Donald Rumsfeld.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    dr.giggles
    Participant

Okay, got it. Fandango says Friday April 4th. Thanks. It’s a shame the score will not accompany the theatrical release.

Lambegue
    Participant

Let’s hope there will a score release, even if it comes several months after the movie, because what we can hear in the trailer and on the Kraft-engel website is really wonderful.

ddddeeee
    Participant

The SOP CD came out shortly after the movie’s theatrical release. Problem is that the Weinstein company are pretty dire with score releases, it might be a download only release.

Lambegue
    Participant

I hope not. Maybe it’s quite old-fashioned to say this, but I really prefer cd to MP3 (even without talking about sound, I like the object…)

boingomusic
    Participant

I totally agree with you Lambegue.
    It’s not only about the sound, but also about the object. I still collect some old Vinyls as well.
    I love the artworks, the linear notes, the credits, and most of all, the fact that I have to put a disc in my cd-player and take the time to listen to the whole album.
    I really hope that music will keep existing in its physical form, may it be cd, lp, or any new physical format…

DannyBiker
    Participant

However, mp3’s sometimes allow some score to actually get a release they would never have got on a physical support…

Thor
    Participant

I don’t buy CD’s anymore, except in the case of Elfman, Goldenthal and Williams (as far as film composers are concerned).

However, I’ll take this in any form, just as long as it goes out. I absolutely the adore the small clips we’ve heard so far.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Odd, here’s a woman dancing to a track from the score.

Lambegue
    Participant

Good news ! It will be released by LaLaLand (8th of april) !

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

OK – the video confirms it… I need this. Immediately!

dr.giggles
    Participant

That’s great!

Killericon
    Participant

Thought you guys would want to know that this is now up on iTunes!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great!

9fingeredElf
    Participant

TRACK LISTING:
    1. Theme From Unknown 4:16
    2. Two Sides 1:58
    3. Marimba Foghorn 7:01
    4. Rummy’s Theme 2:42
    5. Himself 0:42
    6. Drones 4:36
    7. Ford Assassination 2:18
    8. Snowflakes 2:37
    9. Shakespeare 1:35
    10. Smokers 2:12
    11. The Haynes Memo 3:24
    12. What You Know 1:46
    13. Reagan 2:01
    14. Absence of Evidence 2:58
    15. Geneva 1:55
    16. Limits 1:14
    17. Dora Farms 2:50
    18. Full Boil 0:57
    19. Abu Ghraib 1:31
    20. Detainees 1:36
    21. The Resignation 0:48
    22. Better to Not Go 2:10
    23. Joyce 1:18
    24. Main Titles 2:06
    25. Unknown – Piano Solo 3:39
    TOTAL DISC TIME: 60:15

Weepy Donuts
    Participant

I considered purchasing this through iTunes this morning, but I decided to wait for the physical album. I saved 20% and shipping wasn’t too costly since I picked up additional albums at La La Land. It looks like the promotion last until 4/21, so I may shop again.

It is a great time to get Mars Attacks! if you don’t have it in your collection.

ddddeeee
    Participant

How strange that Mars Attacks! clearly wasn’t a big seller.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Ordered, the samples on iTunes are so good.

Between this, Big Eyes, Fifty Shades and Somnia we’ve got a really interesting and diverse slate coming up.

Lambegue
    Participant

Yes, and even probably “Miss Peregrine’s home for peculiar children” next year. And maybe even the new Gus Van Sant, “Sea of Trees”…And of course the recording of “Rabbit and Rogue”.
    It’s a real pleasure to see so many exciting projects coming.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I’ve been listening to bits and bobs on youtube and is it me or is the big version of the main theme used in the trailer and that dance video I posted not on the album? It plays during the end credits of the movie too. I want it!

Lambegue
    Participant

I’m not quite sure…I have the feeling that both the trailer and the dance video have been made from bits and pieces of the ost, and that they have different mix…So maybe it is on the ost, but not in the presentation you are looking for. But again, I’m not sure at all. Plus, I haven’t seen the movie yet, but isn’t “main titles” the track that plays during the end credits ?

Still, it’s a very good work. Looks a lot like SOP, mainly orchestral, cold, hypnotic and nearly obsessive. It’s very powerful, I really love it. (And i would be happy to play the piano solo version of the theme)

ddddeeee
    Participant

I just saw the movie (terrific btw) and that track in the dance video and trailer does in fact play during the end credits. It’s definitely a standalone track and not comprised of other pieces. Should be easy to get a rip of it but it’s a shame it wasn’t included, it’s fantastic.

Lambegue
    Participant

It’s even more surprising coming from La La Land, usually they realease scores quite completly

lonzoe
    Participant

The quote I’m about to post makes my eyes roll. But then again I recall this critic (Michael Phillips) looking annoyed when Roeper mentioned Elfman’s score in SOP on an episode of Ebert & Roeper.

Here’s what Philips thought of Elfman’s score for The Unknown Known…

“Yet as with an earlier Morris doc, the Abu Ghraib prison account “Standard Operating Procedure,” there are flourishes we could do without. Danny Elfman’s music, heavy on the menacing “Nightmare Before Christmas”-y choral arrangements and Philip Glass-influenced whirligig dread, feels heavy-handed.”

Smh!

Lambegue
    Participant

“”Nightmare Before Christmas”-y choral arrangements” I can understand the comparison with Phillip Glass (even if I don’t agree with it’s negative aspect, I love both this score and Phillip Glass), but this ? That’s not because Elfman did the two of them that they have really enough in common to be associated like that…

I haven’t seen the movie yet (it’s not out in France), but I thought the music was well-used and adapted to the movie in SOP, so I suppose it’s the same here…

Thor
    Participant

Strange criticism indeed.

Been listening to this lately. It’s really a gorgeous score — his best since PROMISED LAND.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.