Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Tim Burton’s Superman…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Dawg Man
    Participant

Tim Burton’s Superman Lives lives on in Bryan Singer’s Superman Returns

Well folks…

The new Superman Returns film may not be so bad after all. I’ve been more or less pissed for years that the Burton version fell apart like it did but it does seem that director Bryan Singer liked some of Burton’s original ideas, namely his pick for Lex Luther.

I remember that there were some rumors floating around back in 1997 that Burton had cast Jack Nicholson as Lex Luther but in his book Burton On Burton (2000, the revised edition) he dispells that. Timmy boy infact wanted none other than Kevin Spacey. In his words, “He was perfect.”

As we all know, the movie fell apart mostly due to Warner executives and producer Jon Peters losing his mind and making Tim throw up his arms in frustration and walk away (just incidentally, Peters is also the one responsible for making Tim turn down Batman 3). The first problem came with the title. “It was called Superman Lives,” as Burton says in his book, “I was pushing for it to be Superman. I always hated those titles like Batman Forever. I thought, ‘Batman Forever, that sounds like a tattoo that somebody would get when they’re on drugs or something,’ or something like some kid would write in a yearbook to somebody else. I have high problems with some of those titles.”

The reason for the film’s collapse was deeper than the title though as Tim says: “My original fear came true. I had thought, ‘Okay Jon Peters is the producer. I’ve dealt with Jon before on Batman, and it was a nightmare, but I did it. So therefore I can probably deal with that again.’ But that wasn’t the case.” In the end Burton felt either he or Jon should go. Warners saw this conflict and, with Batman & Robin failing the way it did, they started to feel that maybe they were going to “fuck up another franchise,” as Tim put it. So they opted out and went for Wild Wild West instead, but not before Tim could personally resign from the project.

So to reminisce on what could have been, and in the hopes that the new movie will at least be decent (even if Peters is still the producer), here’s an interview by Kevin Smith (the writer), the original poster that was showcased at Comic Con before the film was scrapped, some concept art and a bit of story boards from the production. The dark Superman suit with the blue lighting effects and the blood red cape designed under Tim’s watch was, in particular, a gem. Underwear worn over tights can’t top it. Tim’s version would have obviously, definitely been the ultimate one…

TEASER POSTER & CONCEPT ART

STORY BOARDS

SUPERMAN RETURNS

Lastly, here’s Tim’s choice, Kevin Spacey, as Lex Luther. Let’s hope Superman Returns will be as good as Batman Returns. The poster certainly evokes the 1992 sequel…

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Goodness. It looks like Superman Lives would have been either a complete disaster, or something magnificent.

Danny Burton
    Participant

Nicolas Cage was an AWFUL choice for Superman.

Dawg Man
    Participant

That’s what they said about Michael Keaton on Batman. The difference is on Batman, Burton had a chance to prove us wrong.

RCox
    Participant

Yes, but the world of Batman already worked with Burton’s filmmaking sensibilities. Not so with Superman. I’ve always felt that Burton’s commitment to “Superman Lives” had more to do with “Mars Attacks!” bombing spectacularly and his need to reclaim his position in Hollywood than any affinity he had for the property.

Dawg Man
    Participant

You guys have to read his whole account of the topic in Burton on Burton. Tim said himself that initially he didn’t want to do the movie unless it was done right, and the only way he could imagine that happening would be if Superman was treated on an otherwordly level, completely different from what came before. Batman was treated psychologically but Superman Lives would have stressed the alien element. Plus it would have been a darker movie than any of those previous. Tim does great with that. Spandex and Red Underwear isn’t exactly Burton’s thing but he would have made a good movie.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I find this video amusing. It’s amusing that these university students find everything Smith says hilarious. It’s obvious that if Tim Burton was there speaking they’d be puckering up and kissing his ass too!

http://www.youtube.com/?v=ru90-OIJGvQ

Ryan

Dawg Man
    Participant

Yeah, I saw that. The Superman incident must have pissed him off even if he says it didn’t. But Tim must have friends in high places because Smith gets kicked out after telling the Burton story. I laughed my ass off when that happened.

RCox
    Participant

In Burton’s defense, Kevin Smith’s script for the film sucked. It’s been available online throughout the years. I know that his hand was forced a bit due to Jon Peter’s ridiculous demands, but it still stands as a piece of work that should humble Smith (as opposed to “Jersey Girl,” which I actually liked. Maybe it was the Sweeney sequences).

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I think anyone that goes up against Burton and thinks Warners has their back and not Burton’s they are sorely mistaken!

Ryan

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Yes, but the world of Batman already worked with Burton’s filmmaking sensibilities. Not so with Superman.

In theory.

What about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Big Fish, Mars Attacks, Ed Wood, Beetlejuice and Pee-wee’s Big Adventure? Those films aren’t dark like the Batman/Batman Returns fair.

Danny Burton
    Participant

Kevin Smith is a hack.

I recently saw again what many consider his “best” film [Clerks] and I just couldn’t stand the “witty” dialogue and those performances that would make anyone from the movie Showgirls look like Oscar contenders.

Burton has more talent in the split ends of his hair that Smith in his entire being.

Weepy Donut
    Participant

I thought he was funny.
    Nothing against Burton.
    Acutally I wanna know what happens after the 2nd movie… Why did they have to stop the interview?

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Kevin Smith is overrated^100

Spider-Fan
    Participant

All right, here’s my deal. I like Tim as a director. I like Kevin as a person and as a writer. His dialogue is amazing, and he’s great in front of crowds. Check out the videos, he’s like a standup, except that his stories are true (for further hilarity, check out the rest of “An Evening with Kevin Smith” and go to the part where he talks about Prince…awesome). Kevin’s movies aren’t the best in terms of directing or acting (although few can beat Jason Lee), but they’re just plain enjoyable films. Clerks is funny and real, Mallrats is just a load of fun, and Dogma is amazingly smart. Plus, remember that he chatted with Danny about having him score Dogma, which would have been cool. Smith is cool, Tim is too, the end.

SleepyHello
    Participant

Yeah, I rather like Kevin Smith. I also love Tim Burton. I don’t care how they feel about eachother or who’s better, I just look forward to what each of them comes out with next.

Dawg Man
    Participant

I think that maybe if Jon Peters wouldn’t have screwed up the script as he did — what with polar bears and gay robots — and gave Smith and Burton creative freedom to actually work together, we may have actually gotten a movie. I’m sure all Tim saw in the script was gay robots and polarbears and went “What the hell? I’m bringing on my guys.”

Spider-Fan
    Participant

At least both Tim Burton and Kevin Smith can agree that Peters is a real nutcase. How’s he still have a job with those kind of ideas and demands? Now that we’ve had movies like Spider-Man and X-Men where you take guys who really know the source material and are really good at making movies and leave out stupid things like giant spiders and gay robots, I doubt people of his likes are allowed near superhero movies anymore. Anyway, I think Kevin Smith respects Tim Burton as a filmmaker, because he wrote in his blog that he took his daughter to see “Charlie” and he enjoyed it. I don’t know how Tim feels about Kevin, but he’s in such a different ballpark at this point that it’s difficult to tell.

Dawg Man
    Participant

I doubt people of his likes are allowed near superhero movies anymore.

Jon Peters is still producing Superman Returns… God help us.

It’s funny though, the original suit is being used in the new movie and Superman flies. I guess Peters doesn’t find it “faggy” anymore.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

No, he saved all that for the director… Ahaha. Sorry, not cool of me, but sooo easy.

Ryan

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Having a gay director directing Superman — an American icon! — is just another way that Liberal Hollywood is attempting to put the gay agenda into the mainstream.

(Wee, it’s like I’m writing for FoxNews!)

Weepy Donut
    Participant

I’m sure that’s exactly why they chose him Tender…. because he was gay. EVERYONE WATCH OUT FOR THOSE LIBERALS!!!! AHHhhhhhhh!!!

RCox
    Participant

Interesting side note: Smith was one of the few people to absolutely slam the first Spider-man during its initial release.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.