Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Tom Ruegger Discusses Danny Elfman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Before you guys get upset and start raging war, just remember that it seems like he didn’t directly work with Elfman. So, the whole hummer thing were just the rumors back then. Any educated Elfman fan knows that he was being accused of all sorts of things back in the day.

Oh, and just an FYI, in case you don’t know who Ruegger is, he executive produced popular `90s cartoons like Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, and Batman: The Animated Series.

Quote:
    As you no doubt know, Shirley was Danny Elfman’s arranger on the initial Batman movie.

From what I understand, and in this case, I’m only passing along what I’ve heard, Danny, as a composer, was a “hummer.” He had lots of tunes in his head, and he would hum them out, then someone else, in this case Shirley, made sure these tunes were properly arranged for the films.

At the time, Shirley was looking to branch out and do some composing of her own when “Batman: the Animated Series” came along, and Shirley jumped at the chance to put her own musical signature on the series.

Apparently, when Danny found out that his arranger was leaving the nest and taking on a chunky “Batman” cartoon series assignment, he was a little concerned. While he may have been pleased for Shirley getting this great opportunity, he also justifiably felt some ownership of the Batman musical sound and themes, and it’s my understanding that he insisted that the series theme have his signature on it.

So that’s why the series is scored by Shirley, but the main title theme belongs to Danny Elfman. But that was not our initial plan. Initially, we had lined up Shirley to do the scoring and the theme. In fact, Shirley wrote the initial main title theme for the series, and we all loved it.

But then the batsh-t hit the fan.

I don’t know who said what to whom, but it became clear that Danny wasn’t thrilled by the plan. The movie franchise was of paramount importance to the execs on the Warner Bros. lot at that point, so whatever Tim Burton and Danny Elfman wanted, they got. The main lot was not about to let a cartoon series upset their cash cow. So Shirley’s main title theme was out. Danny wrote a new one, based on the movie’s score, and that became the main title music for the series. The truth is, it was great, as was Shirley’s.

Anyway, the theme music worked, the score worked, the show worked, it all turned out fine. The music by Shirley Walker and her team was brilliant throughout the show’s run.

One other thing: In some TV books, I’ve seen it written that Tim Burton was a producer of Batman: the Animated Series. Not the case. While Danny composed the main title theme for the show, Mr. Burton, who had plenty on his plate at the time and still does, chose not to be involved in the cartoon series.

http://forums.toonzone.net/showpost.php?p=3459522&postcount=37

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Elfman hums a monophonic version of the entire score then someone else comes in to do the rest. Yeah, seems entirely plausible and makes perfect sense. Idiots.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Yes, and Tom Ruegger was there to witness it with his own eyes. And ears.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.