Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Willy Wonka teaser

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Nin_Cherry
    Participant
    Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Wow, that looks interesting. Depp’s Wonka is weird.

“Chewing gum is really gross. Chewing gum, I hate the most.”

Anonymous

What the hell is up with the fake teeth? His smile is bigger and more doofy than in Ed Wood. That was the only thing that gave me pause about the whole preview.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Heh, looks…interesting. I assume Danny wrote the song? I expect much more out of the score. Wait, was that him singing that song?!?!

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Maybe it’s a rough version of the oompa loompa’s song.

Anonymous

It kinda makes sense that his teeth are really big and straight and stuff, seeing as how his father is supposed to be a dentist…right?

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

Right.

D-Bo
    Participant

Wow. That was kinda weird.

Katie
    Participant

Whoa . . . that’s a little trippy. And in a TOTALLY, totally different direction than I ever would have guessed . . .

However, I am quite thankful that Johnny Depp does not look or act as effeminate as the posters led me to believe he would . . .

Anonymous

This looks like “Beetlejuice” on acid! Seriously, I’m pretty sure this will be Burton’s weirdest movie since “Beetlejuice”. And, hopefully, that will be wonderful. But it looks too strange to be a box-office success. Even a critical one. My fear is that this will end up being another “Cat in the Hat” in the critics’ eyes…

Now, a disturbing revelation: I don’t think that “The Cat in the Hat” is THAT bad. It’s very, very flawed, but it has an anti-Hollywood sense of madness and anarchy plus those trademark Bo Welch visuals that kinda worked for me. Of course, my wish is that “Charlie” will be what “The Cat in the Hat” wished to be: Bo Welch is a production designer (a good one, but not a director); Tim Burton is a fine director. “The Cat in the Hat” didn’t have a screenplay, just clumsy weirdness; “Charlie” has a good writer (John August) adapting the Roald Dahl book.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

The way Johnny Depp says “ew”…seems a bit feminine to me. This movie will definitely apeal to a big crowd, but unfortunately that crowd is stoners. And of course people like us as well.

Anonymous

I saw the teaser trailer four times. I thought it was great and very childish-in a good way. “Charlie and The Chocolate Factory” seems to be a very family friendly Tim Burton film and the sets of the factory reminds me of “Beetlejuice” (the twisted trees in one of the rooms), Floop’s castle from “Spy Kids” and that Disneyland ride, “It’s A Small World After All”. Johnny Depp is fine as Wonka and he might bring a “Captain Jack Sparrow” take on the character with a flamboyant attitude. The trailer shows us that this is not the usual dark Burton film ( like “Edward Scissorhands” or “Batman”) and instead have a light-hearted tone, like “Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure”.

I think Burton wants to bring a 70s touch to the oompa loompas, especially when we see a singing loompa band. The Oompa Loompa song FREAKED me out at the first time and I originally thought that the song is more like “The Wizard of Oz” than Danny Elfman. However I saw the trailer more and I now like the song. It became catchy and made me excited to hear Mr Elfman’s wacky score. In fact I went to http://www.filmforce.ign.com (which shows the trailer) and the article said that the Danny Elfman theme is destined to be remixed and played in dance clubs everywhere.

Either way, I can’t wait to see the film and it looks like its going to be true to the film even if the Christopher Lee character was created especially for the movie.

PS: According to imdb.com, the guy who played Big Fish’s Mr Soggybottom will play an Oompa Loompa. Obvious, huh?

Katie
    Participant

Who says I’m not a stoner?

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Drugs are bad. Quit now.

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

Ha.

Anonymous

Well, I watched the trailer, and my fears about Depp as Wonka are NOT assuaged. And it looks like Burton has pumped it full of 21st century-isms (looks like Mike TeeVee is into Nintendo). Well, I’ll go see it, but I am by no means discarding my Gene Wilder version.

Anonymous

I think is reasonable for Tim Burton to make the film adaption more modern and appealing to the everyday audience. I mean Mike TeeVee was into western/cowboy TV programs in both the book and the 1970s original. I don’t think today’s kids would be interested into cowboys and indians and be addicted to video games instead. Go figures.

I was hoping that Tim Burton’s Mike TeeVee would be obssessed into watching Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh and get brainwashed into buying the shows’ merchaindise.It would add great satire to the movie, but Nintendo would do fine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.