Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Burton finds his Alice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Tim Burton and Disney have found their new Alice — not in Wonderland or down the rabbit hole but Down Under.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ifb184e208a328349dfd5290665fa6854

gordonblu
    Participant

I am so excited for this one! I’ve been wanting Danny to write an “Alice” score for years!

Monsterhead
    Participant

Oy…. I give up on Burton. Remember when his involvement in a movie seemed exciting?

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

She’s a babe.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Eeeee–y-oooo. What are perverts doing on the internet?

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Lookin’ for babes.

gaba
    Participant

I’m leary of this sort of technique (the motion capture and then recreation of the entire thing as computer graphics). Maybe’ I’m a bit backwards that way, but everything I’ve seen to this point seemed so life-less, and with Burton’s love for the artifice, it has a chance to be mega-plasticky. But we’ll see. Alice is definitely a great story for Burton to make.

[to be honest the only exciting thing in this news-piece is that Mira Nair is shooting an Amelia Earnheart biopic. yay.]

Monsterhead
    Participant

I hear ya. I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again – Burton is no longer making interesting choices. He’s lost his edge.

gaba
    Participant

I’m not sure – I actuallly quite loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but his ’emotionality’ seems to have changed in many ways – he’s hit and miss. Still, let’s just wait and see,

Norby
    Participant

He’s just trying things out I think… and they don’t always work (POTA ahem!). I think it’s good he’s exploring. No artist wants to just churn out the same stuff. His stuff hasn’t been as good recently as his early stuff in my opinion, as Danny’s hasn’t been as good. But I think some of it is down to their inherent love of exploring… which is admirable, I think. They’ve got some fun projects coming up, so hopefully they’ll hit on smething. Danny’s ballet sound like it’ll be a blast!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

It seems like the film will less like “The Polar Express” and “Monster House” and more like the last 2 “Pirates of the Caribbean” movies, which utilized the technology in breathtaking ways when applied to the captain and crew of the Flying Dutchman. That’s me looking at the film optimistically; really, I’ve never been a huge fan of the Alice story, but I’m always willing to give Burton the benefit of the doubt.

chii
    Participant

I’m starting to get a little tired of these Burton-Depp collaborations. Is he ever gonna work again with Michael Keaton or Chris Walken or Jack Nicholson or any of his previous collaborators? What about Ewan Mcgregor (or however you spell his name)? He was great in Big Fish. Or what about Tim Roth? I disliked Planet of the Apes, but Roth was great in it. Or, I don”t know, maybe someone he has never worked with before.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I don’t mind one bit. Look at the results!

You’re right. The results are great and I hope to see them work more in the future, but four movies in a roll is too much. There’s other actors that would be nice to see in a Burton movie.

chii
    Participant

I agree with both of you. Considering the the Mad Hatter isn’t that big of a role, I don’t have a problem with this. It would be nice to see Burton work with others, and he is. I haven’t ever heard of the girl who is playing Alice, we don’t know who else will be casted so I think he will be branching out with other actors in this one. We just have to wait and see!

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Well, considering the lead role isn’t someone he’s worked with in the past (as far as I know), I don’t see what all the complaining is about. I think the movie sounds freaking awesome, and I can’t wait to see it. I can’t think of a better director to cover this story other than Terry Gilliam. Can you imagine the Elfman score?! It’s right up his alley, and I’ve ALWAYS wanted to hear what he could do with a story like this.

Norby
    Participant

Would be nice if Danny went back to writing a purely orchestral score for this one. Mmm… Sleepy Hollow.

Lucius
    Participant

Yeah, I’m pretty damn excited. Not only is it gonna look cool, but it’ll be 3D as well. Not that View Master-esque 3D in NMBC (which is still beautiful), but something that is actually intended to have a 3rd dimension. Say what you will about the zombie eyed characters in Polar Express and Beowulf, it was a blast to watch in 3d; and now to have Tim do it with such a fantastical pallet will be brain melting.

I for one hope he casts Glenn Shadix (Otho) to play the Caterpillar. He would be perfect, right? And you can bet your bottom dollar that Helena will play the Queen of Hearts, much to the chagrin of Burton haters (not on this site, of course ;) )

What other cast prediction do you guys have?

Lucius

P.S. Oh yeah, Steve Buscemi for the Cheshire Cat.

boingomusic
    Participant

Well, I would pretty much picture DANNY as the Cheshire Cat ;-)

Lucius
    Participant

boingomusic Wrote:

> Well, I would pretty much picture DANNY as the
    > Cheshire Cat ;-)

(smacks forehead) Of COURSE…what was I thinking, that’s great. He already has the smile.

Lucius

Monsterhead
    Participant

But this Alice movie is such a blah idea. Been there, seen that.

His choices are lazy, not just in film projects, but in design and in making of his movies. Burton and his team (whether or not they change from film to film, just look to be treading water with an uninspired master at the helm. I used to love his stuff, but man…. I’ve crammed my Tim Burton movie section to the bottom of my shelf.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Again, pure laziness.

chii
    Participant

That is SO true about his smile XD

I have often thought it can be an eensy bit creepy sometimes….

gordonblu
    Participant

I love the idea of Danny as the Cheshire Cat! The only other person I could see as the Cat would be Jack Nicholson, but he probably wouldn’t do it. When I heard Depp was playing the Mad Hatter I was a little disappointed, like some of you were, but then I thought, what if Michael Keaton played the March Hare? You’d have Keaton and Depp in the same scene playing off eeach other. That would be awesome!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.