Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Other “Ch & the choc. factory” references

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    boingomusic
    Participant

Did anyone notice how the hole in the roof of Charlie’s house looks like the one in Edward Scissorhands’ Castle ?

Another thing I noticed is the Oompa Loompa sleeves. They’re black and white, exactly like BeetleJuices’ socks…!

One other little thing that felt familiar was seeing Helena Bonham Carter in this old old house… It really reminded me of Big Fish.

Oh, and that show, on TV, with the apes…. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t innocent either…

What do you think??

-Boingomusic

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

The scene with the apes (from 2001: A Space Odyssey) was an homage to the great director Stanley Kubrick (The scene even sort of had his particular stylistic look to it) … Not Planet of the Apes.

Kipobe
    Participant

The first thing I thought of was Space Odyssey (especially with the music, and all…) but my mind went back and forth… thinking that maybe Tim knew alot of people would reference Planet of the Apes… but I dunno. Coulda been two shots with one blow.

mootum
    Participant

>Helena Bonham Carter in this old old house… It really reminded me of Big Fish.

Definitely! The crooked door in particular.

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

That’s definitely a 2001 reference (music; apes going nuts with the chocolate). Other slight Burton references could be the cutting of the ribbon when Wonka opened his factory is like Edward Scissorhands with the way he is holding out his arms with scissors. The black and white swirl is also on Wonka’s cane.

rex
    Participant

And the space ship from Mars Attack too :)

Ross Marshall
    Participant

What spaceship???

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

The saucer looking spaceship that sucks up Augustus Gloop.

Kipobe
    Participant

Don’t remember if I said this before, but the part where Augustus gets drowned in the chocolate, and you see it in the window (towards the end of the Oompa Loompa’s song) is very close to the image at the end of “Buried Alive 2” in the boat. Very very morbid… I loved it.

Don’t know if it was intentional… but very well done.

It wasn’t a spaceship, it was the chocolate sucker machine thingy.
    How about the swirly thing on the top of Wonka’s cane? Doesn’t it look like the remote transmitter on the bottom of the Batmobile in “Batman Returns”?

stanleyfilms
    Participant

actually, the scene with the apes was more than just an homage… it was right out of “2001: a space odyssey,” with the black monolith replaced by the wonka bar. a little cut-and-paste, that’s all. something tells me, like the scene or not, kubrick would not have been happy with this.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

Stanley Kubrick wasn’t happy with many things !
    I’m huge SK fan and this “homage” didn’t bother me at all. I even thought it was pretty funny and quite original for a reference in a kids movie. Plus, Burton uses the Strauss’ ouverture with the same sense of rhythm as in 2001…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.