Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Raimi and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    DannyBiker
    Participant

I imagine it’s “scoring” a broad sense. But who knows.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Choir is recording in LA

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYp7uQHrDun/

Cumberbatch said that he just finished filming on Saturday, so there’s either going to be another session down the line or Elfman scored to storyboards.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

We’re about 4 weeks away, where’s the score announcement!?

ddddeeee
    Participant

Scores gets nothing these days; they get dumped on the usual download sites with no fanfare.

With this being so high profile, we might get a track or two released as promo.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Clip with score.

ddddeeee
    Participant

ddddeeee
    Participant

ddddeeee
    Participant

Raimi on why he wanted Elfman to score.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/doctor-strange-2-sam-raimi-explains-danny-elfman-return/

“I loved Michael Giacchino’s Doctor Strange music and I’m sorry we didn’t get a chance to work together but I need Danny Elfman by my side,” Raimi tells us. “He’s like my long-lost brother and he’s really a storyteller. He helps me tell the story with his music, but it was wonderful. He loved the Doctor Strange theme and incorporated it into his musical score which was so funny for me because that composer incorporated some of Danny’s pieces into [Spider-Man] No Way Home.”

DannyBiker
    Participant

So he will use Giacchino’s theme extensively, it seems. I’d have to give that score a listen until Wednesday then…

ddddeeee
    Participant

It’s a good score. The eastern touches make it quite distinct.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Reviews are decent and Danny’s getting really great notices. Yay!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

In an exclusive interview with ComicBook.com’s Brandon Davis, Raimi says that he feels Elfman is a “long-lost brother,” and is always his go-to choice when it comes to hiring a composer on a project.

“I loved Michael Giacchino’s Doctor Strange music and I’m sorry we didn’t get a chance to work together but I need Danny Elfman by my side,” Raimi tells us. “He’s like my long-lost brother and he’s really a storyteller. He helps me tell the story with his music, but it was wonderful. He loved the Doctor Strange theme and incorporated it into his musical score which was so funny for me because that composer incorporated some of Danny’s pieces into [Spider-Man] No Way Home.”

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/doctor-strange-2-sam-raimi-explains-danny-elfman-return/

DannyBiker
    Participant

I’ll copy my comment from the FSM board :

It’s definitely a thematic score. Just gave it a listen and you can clearly identify themes and motifs during the all thing.

Now it’s certainly a very functional score too. It’s Elfman in comic book/monster music mode with brass pounding down, swirling strings and choir grandeur. Very effective but with no real risks taken, therefore a perfect fit for one of these products Disney and Marvel are committing since a good decade. I still feel we get the Elfman twist with reminiscent harmonies and colors of the monster music from the old days of cinema and some slavic influences.

I don’t know or care about the film and where it belongs in the series and have only heard Giachinno score this week to prepare my listen. From what I understand out of it, Elfman didn’t touch Dr Strange musical personality, he uses the theme from the first film, giving it some variations and one big statement. Nothing like Avengers 2 where he wrote a new theme to lead to Silverstri’s. But I can be wrong.

For the rest, it quotes a lot of stuff from Justice League’s Flash theme for a brief moment to…Beethoven/Bach for one crazy short track. One of the themes is also a reuse of a motif he developed in Improv for Alto Sax on the Serenada Schizophrana CD and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I wonder where that comes from.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Snyder cultists going after Elfman on Twitter again….

DannyBiker
    Participant

Eh…who cares about Twitter people, really. Let alone people willing to defend Snyder’s films for free.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by DannyBiker.
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

They mostly come out when there’s a new MCU movie. Incredibly jealous bunch, really. Snyder’s off doing stuff for Netflix. It’s time for them to move on.

ddddeeee
    Participant

It’s so…meanspirited? Put that energy to better use, kids.

But it’s the double standards of it all. They lambast Elfman for ditching Zimmer’s Batman theme for Justice League, and then when Junkie scores the Snyder Cut he…ditches Zimmer’s Batman theme. Nada. Nothing when Zimmer ditched all previous material when he took over X-Men, Spider-Man….

Danny does read his messages (and he clearly searches his own name on Twitter, too), so hopefully he shrugs it all off. People who have seen the movie seem to love the score in context.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Anyway…I’m really starting to get into the synths in this. It’s almost like Goldsmith when they’re used to supplement the action material, but the angry, moody stuff feels like it’s from a Carpenter score sometimes.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Needless to say, this has been on constant repeat since Wednesday AM…

I’ve created a shortened Spotify version that runs just a bit longer than 47 minutes and reorganized the cue order for flow. Check it out here:

ddddeeee
    Participant

I saw the movie and to my ears only one Giacchino reference made it into the movie….

Mix seemed great to my ears. The movie wears the score loudly and proudly. What I assumed is a new theme for Strange is actually a theme for America Chavez, and there’s a different theme for Strange. Need to spend more time with it to really break it all down.

‘A Cup of Tea’, a track I thought I’d probably rarely come back to, is absolutely brilliant in context.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Interesting fact no one asked for, this website’s original name back in 1995 was “Raimi, Elfman, Burton” 😂

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.