Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘Spider-Man 3’ casting news

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Thomas Hayden Church has been cast as the villain in SPIDER-MAN 3.

Not that this matters, as Danny Elfman is not scoring the film… :(

Ryan

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Not that this matters, as Danny Elfman is not scoring the film…

Aw…:( why is that, Ryan?

D-Bo
    Participant

Hmm, that’s weird. IMDB has Elfman on for Spidey 3 on both Elfman’s page and Spider-Man 3’s page.

Besides, there’s absolutely no way Spider-Man 3 can go without Elfman. It can’t happen. Hehe, Ryan’s just pulling our leg, right?

Right?

johnmullin
    Participant

I don’t know anything about the situation, but I’d guess that Elfman wouldn’t return simply because of how his work was treated on Spider-Man 2. He reworked his “Train” cue many many times only to have it (and much of the other music he wrote for the film) replaced at the last minute by music from the first picture and last-minute cues from other composers. If I were him, I’d tell Raimi and the producers to go f#@% themselves if they called up asking me to work on part 3.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Sam has asked Chris Young to score the picture.

The IMDB is wrong.

Ryan

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

I would never say “go f#@% yourself” to Sam Raimi, no matter what.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

I know a Spider-Fan who won’t be happy…

D-Bo
    Participant

*Does best “Empire Strikes Back” Luke Skywalker imitation*

No…THAT’S NOT TRUE…THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

*sigh* Well, that’s it. I have nothing more to live for. I don’t think I want to see Spider-Man 3 now. I know I’ll just sit there in the theater with a scowl on my face the whole time thinking “You IDIOTS! HOW could you have DONE this?!” Yep, forget it.

Well, I really hope Charlie and Corpse Bride cheer me up. Actually, looking more forward to Bride’s score than Charlie.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

On to different and much better things, I guess. It’s actually semi-good news for me.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

AHHHHHHHHHHH

I literally just screamed out loud. The entire Spider-Man experience is ruined for me if Danny is no longer attached. Where’d you find this out, Ryan? It better just be an early, false rumor or else I’m really going to freak out.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

On to different and much better things, I guess. It’s actually semi-good news for me.

Oh, I agree, and with few reservations. Let Young’s music go under the digital knife, so to speak.

Sam can have him re-orchestrate Hellriser music ’til the cows come home, for all I care.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

No, I won’t let this happen! It can’t happen! Imagine the Sony and Marvel logos without the high strings! It would be like the Matrix trilogy without their signature brass opening over the WB logo! What are we to do about this? We have to band together and make sure that Spider-Man will always sound like Spider-Man! Come on, look at my username. Would I settle for anything else? I am seriously contemplating whether or not I should go out and see this movie if Danny’s not involved. Either Chris Young would have to deliver a convincing adaptation–not anything but an adaptation–or Sam Raimi must exceed the first two movies combined in greatness. Don’t get me wrong, I love Raimi’s work, but he’s gotta knock me out if he’s gonna go and ditch Danny.

Of course, if this is just a false rumor, I feel like a fool, but know that this is what happens if the score that made me fall in love Danny Elfman’s music is followed up with a replacement.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I don’t post false rumors.

It’s true.

Ryan

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Oh, come on, don’t be so closed minded.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Imagine the Sony and Marvel logos without the high strings! It would be like the Matrix trilogy without their signature brass opening over the WB logo! What are we to do about this?

I imagine the Main Titles will be very similar to the pervious films. Hell, there might even be some tracking involved.

I am seriously contemplating whether or not I should go out and see this movie if Danny’s not involved.

Yeah, if all the Elfman fans would just band together and boycott Spider-Man 3, it might go down in ticket sales 0.00028%.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Raimi’s work, but he’s gotta knock me out if he’s gonna go and ditch Danny.

Well, we don’t know the whole story yet. (Well, do we?) It might have been Elfman’s decision not to score the picture.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

It was certainly Elfman’s decision. I mean, think about it. If you’re Danny Elfman, you are an accomplished composer. You’re not doing it for the money. You don’t need that kind of aggravation…!

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Doesn’t he want to create the music just because it’s friggin Spider-Man?! It’s probably one of the most desireable movies a composer would ever want to do, with all the potential involved. In his DVD interviews, Danny always seemed so enthusiastic about being able to build upon his established themes to create outstanding music. I’m so upset about hearing this because of my emotional attachment to these scores. I first became interested in Danny’s music and film scores in general after hearing the first Spider-Man score. Then when he did Spider-Man 2 and scored it so beautifully, I anticipated hearing his final installment and having some closure with the series (no way he’d do more than 3, right?) My feeling right now is just as Lemony Snicket described it…like walking up a flight of stairs in the dark, and thinking you’re about to go up another step but you’re already at the top, a sickening feeling. I know I sound completely insane and irrational, but I’m really upset about hearing this. If Chris Young delivers a knockout score, sure I’ll be glad, but I’ll still miss the feeling that Danny gives with each of his scores. I just hope he one day returns to action scores. I’m excited for Corpse Bride and Charlie, but I know they’ll be more along the lines of “Nightmare” and “Beetlejuice” in sound, which is good, but I totally love Danny’s action scores and so far there are none on his slate (unless Wilbur Robinson is like that).

As most of you can tell, I’m very saddened by Danny’s decision to leave the franchise. I can only hope that his mind will change…he’s still got about 2 years to do so.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I think you’re going through a lot of what people went through when Elfman didn’t score BATMAN FOREVER.

The thing is he doesn’t need to score SPIDER-MAN 3. He was treated poorly on 2 and he has every right to walk away.

Ryan

beth
    Participant

Oh, Spider-Fan, don’t be sad. There will be other great things. Not the same, but great in their own right.
    I first became interested in Danny Elfman through Oingo Boingo and that didn’t last forever, but it didn’t mean the end of Incredible Danny Stuff!

I feel for you, man, and acknowledge your pain.

-beth

Danny Burton
    Participant

But I remember someone posted a couple of months ago an interview he gave to some french magazine and when asked if he would score another SM film, he said “Why not?” or something like that.

Like Spider-Fan, I really hope he changes his mind as he has plenty of time to do so.

Sean
    Participant

Where exactly did you get this information, Ryan, because I really doubt that Sam would be willing to get rid of Danny without trying to get him to join again. Sam Raimi would do all that he could to insure that Danny doesn’t leave. Saying that you don’t speak untrue rumors doesn’t mean it is truth unless you have a website or facts to back it up. I am not saying for sure you are wrong but I just personally need some facts to just feel like I know the truth.
    Thanks, Sean

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Sean Wrote:

> Where exactly did you get this information, Ryan,
    > because I really doubt that Sam would be willing
    > to get rid of Danny without trying to get him to
    > join again.

I was told this while I was in Los Angeles in February.

> Sam Raimi would do all that he could
    > to insure that Danny doesn’t leave.

Trust me — Sam is my favorite director (ED2 is my fave film of all-time as well). But he treated Danny poorly on SPIDER-MAN 2. Elfman doesn’t need SPIDER-MAN 3. He’s got the credits and the financials to walk away.

> Saying that
    > you don’t speak untrue rumors doesn’t mean it is
    > truth unless you have a website or facts to back
    > it up.

Hello, this site, elfman.filmmusic.com is my site.

> I am not saying for sure you are wrong but
    > I just personally need some facts to just feel
    > like I know the truth.
    > Thanks, Sean

Often when people tell you things behind closed doors you have to keep the specifics behind closed doors. Knowing that Chris Young is scoring SPIDER-MAN 3 has been something I’ve been thinking about for two months. I wasn’t sure whether or not I’d float it out on the msg board. But I figured you should read it here first, not as some site that claims they’ve got the “exclusive” (which I am sure will happen in a few weeks/months time).

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Let’s not make Sam Raimi the bad guy. I think it was probably Sony who treated Danny so poorly. I had a conversation with a producer and co-worker of Sam Raimi, and I asked him if he knew anything of the botched music in Spider-Man 2. He told me that Sony is a very cheap studio in that they’ll pump tons of money into a film if they know it’ll generate a large intake, but they won’t distribute the money evenly for quality on all aspects of the film. I’m guessing that there was some funny business in the music department of Spider-Man 2. I’d hate to think that Sam Raimi, the guy who’s made the coolest movies and made Spider-Man perfect, treated Danny badly on that project. They worked together on Darkman, Army of Darkness, Simple Plan…and he put Danny himself in The Gift! If anything is going on between them, it can’t be worse than Tim and Danny’s squabble after “Nightmare.” I really want Danny to work on future Raimi films. Studios, on the other hand, are often more concerned with money than quality, but that’ how the business works. In my desperation, I can only hope that Danny, Raimi, and Sony all get their issues fixed so that Spider-Man 3 will be nothing short of outstanding.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Okay, here’s the story in brief.

Sam Raimi did not attend the scoring sessions for SPIDER-MAN 2. Despite being invited, he was busy editing (and re-editing) the film. Despite the composer imploring the director to hear the cues on the stage, during the recording session, when changes could be made, the director declined. Instead, the director, upon hearing certain cues on the mixing stage, asked for changes. When it was too late.

Sam wanted Danny to ape the temp track for the E-train sequence in SPIDER-MAN 2. Elfman made several passes. Always keeping away from the temp, but attempting to give Sam what he wanted from the piece. Each time, Elfman was asked to go back and try it again. After several more attempts, it just wasn’t working. Elfman’s integrity would not allow him to rip another composer off — particularly music from a score only two years old!

The filmmakers then decided they would LICENSE the temp track from this two-year old film (not music by Elfman, Debney or Young). But the director of this film (who has veto power over everything pertaining to his films) declined Sony’s offer. (Integrity is not exclusive to Danny Elfman, it seems). So, without the licensed track for the E-train sequence, and without Danny Elfman, Sam Raimi asked Chris Young to score the sequence. At this point, Danny had rightfully walked away from the project and had moved on to CHARLIE and CORPSE BRIDE.

This whole situation could have been avoided had Sam attended the sessions and provided his feedback before the music was already recorded. It was the very least he could do to show respect for Danny, who had improved so many of Sam’s movies with his music.

Ryan

Oskar
    Participant

Wow that was absolutely fascinating to read, thanks Ryan! Thanks for clearing all that stuff up.

Unfortunately it is also very sad to hear things had to turn out this way. Danny was right to walk away after how everyone treated him.

Still, I am very very curious as to what temp track they had originally used for the E-train sequence. But, judging by the way you keep avoiding any details about that track I’m betting you can’t reveal the source of the temp cue here.

Too bad. But I can understand it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • The topic ‘‘Spider-Man 3’ casting news’ is closed to new replies.