Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘Terminator Salvation’ is out. Go buy, now!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

You didn’t say it didn’t sound like Elfman, you said it sounded like Remote Control. That’s flat-out wrong. That’s pretty basic stuff.

elfboy91
    Participant

Nick! Don’t say it! just don’t.. NO!!! Don’t say it! :)

TenderLumpling
    Participant

And since we’re on the subject, Batman (’89) does not sound like Wagner. Though I wish someone would make a comparison youtube to prove me wrong, just for educational purposes.

About the score samples: Salvantion is the first soundtrack where I actually enjoyed the score samples. I felt the score was well represented in those samples. That said, it is stupid to judge a film score based on a few seconds of samples. People need to stop doing this.

As for the score itself, I think it’s great! I love how the main theme sounds a bit like Spartacus and the “K” theme from Men in Black mushed together.

I liked the nods to T2, also; once or twice, there are some shrieking stings that sound like when Robert Patrick is running in the parking structure, or, also like in the T2 score, there’s this pulsating synth cord that’s associated with the T1000, which is heard (in variation) in the Salvantion score.

Also, Transformers might have been temped for Salvantion, because in track 1, starting at 0:26, and again at 2:08, there’s a rhythmic figure in the harmony that sounds similar to a figure played a lot in Transformers. It’s funny, I kinda wish Salvantion was the score for Transformers. The tone seems so compatible.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I like how you spelled “Salvation” “Salvantion”, like I did to start the thread :)

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I hear Salvantion is lovely this time of year. :)

Thor
    Participant

Nick Parker Wrote:

> Would I be in the wrong Message Board if I said
    > that I thought The Kingdom sounded like a Media
    > Ventures score?

No offense to you, Nick, but every time I hear this re: THE KINGDOM, I’m reminded of the fact that most hardcore film music fans live in their own “musical world” and aren’t really in touch with musical trends OUTSIDE film music. THE KINGDOM is an obvious ode to the post-rock genre that director Berg loves (and used to great extent on his previous film with Explosions in the Sky). Elfman taps into that territory here, while sounding uniquely Elfman (esp. in the PLANET OF THE APES-like percussive riffs).

Nick Parker
    Participant

You would be right in saying that I am ignorant of trends outside of film music, but to be honest, I do not even really follow trends in film music, I think it is boring for the most part. I listen only to orchestral music, and Danny Elfman happens to be one of the few that writes music that “has its own legs”, so to speak. So when I say that I dislike The Kingdom, I say it because I do not think it has its “own legs”, not to me, anyways. I would not doubt that it is a great film score, though.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

If you’re not following trends, how can you dub THE KINGDOM and sound-a-like Media Ventures score? Why make a comparative statement about a score at all, rather than just stating — and rightfully so — that you don’t enjoy it?

Nick Parker
    Participant

Looking back at my earlier post, I realize that I did not address that. I have been recommended various Media Ventures scores from friends (“They sound epic!”), which ultimately led me to Black Hawk Down, and I seem to remember a similarity between the two.

Nick Parker
    Participant

I would like to make some amendments. Upon listening to both right now, I am having troubles finding similarities between the two scores. Also, I think I am beginning to like The Kingdom, “Friendship” is very nice.

DannyBiker
    Participant

That’s good brainwash… :)

gordonblu
    Participant

Well ,Remote Control DOESN”T sound like Elfman, so that is basically what I meant, but you are right I should have been more clear, I apologize again.

boingomusic
    Participant

“Why can’t we just all… get along…!” :-)

Thor
    Participant

Nick Parker Wrote:

> You would be right in saying that I am ignorant of
    > trends outside of film music, but to be honest, I
    > do not even really follow trends in film music, I
    > think it is boring for the most part. I listen
    > only to orchestral music, and Danny Elfman
    > happens to be one of the few that writes music
    > that “has its own legs”, so to speak. So when I
    > say that I dislike The Kingdom, I say it because I
    > do not think it has its “own legs”, not to me,
    > anyways. I would not doubt that it is a great film
    > score, though.

I don’t think it’s a matter of standing on its “own legs”. After all, being such a post-rock pastiche, it almost becomes an album in the tradition of the aforementioned Explosions in the Sky or Mogwai or Sigur Ros. Only with certain typical Elfmanisms here and there. So it very much stands on its own. However, you are of course free to dislike that kind of music.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Well, with big movies like this, I wonder how much artistic freedom the director even has in the first place. Still haven’t seen Wanted. Good to hear the score’s used well in the film, as the score is pretty damn cool.

elfboy91
    Participant

YAY! I finally got my soundtrack today! It’s awesome.. ! I love it!

Here’s a tip for everyone.. Don’t read reviews on it.. like on amazon or something. If your like me, you’ll get upset because people can be really stupid.

Anyways.. awesome effort by Elfman! Can’t wait to dive in 40 more times..

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Agreed. Now that I’ve listened to the score a few times, I’m liking it more and more. Actually, there’s a quality to it that reminds me of — bear with be here — Harald Kloser’s “The Day After Tomorrow” in that it evokes the feelings of survival and humanity. Don’t hate me. I’ve yet to see the movie, but I might if somebody else wants to go with me. Otherwise I might wait for the DVD release based on what I’ve been hearing about it.

I keep reading about poor mixes with T4… I don’t know if it’s the fault of the film’s sound mixer or the theater’s speakers. I know that when I saw “Star Trek” the music in my theater was very prominent, almost to the point where it was too loud to really hear it. I heard an interview with Michael Giacchino where he said that J.J. Abrams is very good about making sure the music is heard over sound effects, which is pretty cool. I’ve gone off on a bit of a tangent, but then again, I haven’t posted in a while. So hi!

elfboy91
    Participant

No.. you’re fine. Star Trek, BTW, was much much better than Terminator Salvation. The Movies are very different but in my opinion the overall liking of the film went to Star Trek. It was phenomenal. I’m going to see it for a fourth time tomorrow! And the score is amazing but the theme is very very repetitive. I have to listen to TS more to find out which score I like better. It’ll probably be Elfman. But Giacchino has proven to be awesome.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

It’s definitely not the speakers!

nemesis1701
    Participant

This score was amazing, I got it as soon as it came out on iTunes. If I didn’t know it was scored by Danny, I would have thought it was done by the late Jerry Goldsmith. I give this soundtrack 5 stars

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I finally saw the movie last week. Elfman’s music worked perfectly when it could be heard. The movie itself was eh, but there were definitely moments when the music really shone, particularly during the scene covered by the track “Reveal/The Escape”.

elfboy91
    Participant

If you haven’t yet, check out Ben Mankiewicz’s review of the movie. Although he is right about the movie, he kind of insults Elfman without really insulting Elfman. Go to the “At the Movies” site…

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/atm/

D-Bo
    Participant

Commenting on that “At the Movies” review elfboy91 linked to: “…Danny Elfman’s score blaring…”?

Uhh…no.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Danny Elfman & Brad Fiedel (Terminator Salvation) – Main Title =)

http://rutube.ru/tracks/2339279.html

Thor
    Participant

Nice. Wonder why this wasn’t on the soundtrack?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.