Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion This Is Why I Hate Hans Zimmer!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Does Hans Zimmer need to compose every darn movies these days? Give other composers a chance. Danny Elfman would have been perfect for this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4H6R-hN-T4 And he wouldn’t have used 10 “additional” composers.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Does Hans Zimmer need to compose every darn movies these days?

It’s funny, that’s exactly what the Elfman-haters say about Danny.

I don’t think Danny would have had very much freedom under Nolan’s watch, considering all of his movie’s have very similar scores. At any event, the trailer looks great.

It’s funny, that’s exactly what the Elfman-haters say about Danny.

When was Danny a music hugger? On average he scores like 2-3 movies a year. Hans Zimmer, on average, scores like 5-7 movies and then “produces” another 5-7 movies per years. That’s 10-14 movies a year that has Hans Zimmer involved in some shape or form.

Isn’t Ryan a music critic? I’m sure he’ll tell you how sick and tired he’s of Hans Zimmer by now.

I don’t think Danny would have had very much freedom under Nolan’s watch, considering all of his movie’s have very similar scores.

Sort of. When he worked with David Julian it all sounded the same. But now he’s working with Hans Zimmer, which is different from Julian, but is generic as well.

Thor
    Participant

Strange…that’s the first time I’ve seen someone criticizing someone for actually being prolific! The mind boggles…

Natrebo
    Participant

Actually I find myself liking a lot of Zimmer’s output these days, more so than some of the composers that’s come out of Remote Control. I did find a lull in his middle output, at least for me, but he can create a good listen from time to time – case in point was the hoot he had with Sherlock Holmes, a film I was all ready to hate being a fan of the novellas and various TV shows, but I was pleasantly surprised!

Strange…that’s the first time I’ve seen someone criticizing someone for actually being prolific! The mind boggles…

How is Hans Zimmer prolific when he has an army of people doing the work for him? Remember how he was ALMOST disqualified by the Oscars for The Dark Knight because they had to investigate how much music he actually composed? So, even Hollywood makes no secret that Zimmer is a hack. They just hire him because he’s a factory of music.

mubneosic
    Participant

I don’t think that’s a fair statement though. Danny even acknowledged in an interview that Hans Zimmer was right to credit everyone in the music creation process.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

When was Danny a music hugger?

Oh no, I’m saying they’re bitter that he always gets high-profile scores. For example, he is the musical darling in the super hero realm.

I liked the Sherlock Homes score, as well. Very tuneful.

Danny even acknowledged in an interview that Hans Zimmer was right to credit everyone in the music creation process.

And he should, too!

DannyBiker
    Participant

I do agree that while Nolan is fantastic director with a mind filled with great ideas, he should really start to hire more talented composers. The Prestige could have been a masterpiece with a decent musical work (I’m not saying that the music was bas, just totally monotonic).

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Video is dead, and this argument is even deader.

Thor
    Participant

rkeaveney Wrote:

> Video is dead, and this argument is even deader.

That’s true. The “Zimmer is a hack!” argument is about as faulty and dead as the “Elfman doesn’t compose his own music” argument, which died sometime in the late 80’s.

That Zimmer credits his coworkers – whether for actually composing work or more remote stuff like music editing – is a positive thing, not a negative!

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Who cares? It’s got Ellen Page!

That Zimmer credits his coworkers – whether for actually composing work or more remote stuff like music editing – is a positive thing, not a negative!

Is Zack Hemsey one of his “additional” composers? He’s the one who composed the music for the trailer:

elfboy91
    Participant

I liked the Music for that trailer. The Big Bass pedal tone droning was really awesome! Not the most original piece when it comes to chord structure but still really awesome.

….

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Mmm-hmm. She is lovely. I can see how Juno got pregnant so fast. :)

Michael Bay is producing the new Ninja Turtles movie. So, that’s another job that Elfman loses to Hans Zimmer and Media Venures.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I don’t think they’ll be hiring a big name composer for the Ninja Turtle movie.

That said, Michael Bay, huh? I can’t wait to see how he objectifies April O’Neal. :)

It’ll be one of Media Venure’s composers. No doubt about that. Klaus Badelt actually scored the 2007 animated flick. So, someone like him should be expected.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Anyway, I don’t see how could Elfman consider scoring a Ninja Turtles movie…

Thor
    Participant

I don’t see how he could consider doing stuff like FLUBBER, HEARTBREAKERS, SPY KIDS or HOT TO TROT either. But sometimes, he just does things out of left field.

Torque
    Participant

TenderLumpling Wrote:

> I don’t think they’ll be hiring a big name
    > composer for the Ninja Turtle movie.
    >
    > That said, Michael Bay, huh? I can’t wait to see
    > how he objectifies April O’Neal.

If Michael Bay produced new Ninja Turtle movie it’ll be Steve Jablonsky for sure.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Flubber was a carrot that was mostly stick. HEARTBREAKERS was I believe for a friend, David Dobkin, SPY KIDS was at the behest of Robert Rodriguez and HOT TO TROT was still pre-BATMAN.

dagon
    Participant

Ryan,

I share the same opinion of Thor regarding this argument.
    Otherwise I couldn’t explain why he took the scoring duties for Nacho Libre (even if it was a replacement), for Meet the Robinsons that was a rather “wacky” movie in tone and for the “Pure Luck” theme back in the 90’s.
    All post-Batman stuff.

Natrebo
    Participant

Before he didn’t get to choose like he does now. Flubber was because of the 5 movie contract he signed with Disney. Even though the big studio contract days (where a studio would have sole control over an actor or composer) are over doesn’t mean that no multi-movie contracts are still signed. We hear about this with actors all the times, if a studio thinks there will be sequels to be made from a movie they will sign an actor to a multi-movie deal – the same sometimes happens to a composer. in a five year period you have to score at least 5 movies from one company and of those you are given a choice of maybe half their films we can easily see why Danny would do something like Flubber (if nothing else than to just fulfill his contract).

Nat

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.