Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Van Sant’s Promised Land

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    iggybiggy
    Participant

Does anyone know if you can order it from Amazon UK, and they will ship to the US?

bookbinder3
    Participant

It can be ordered from Amazon UK, I already have, don’t know if it will ship to the US though.

ddddeeee
    Participant

My album arrived today. No linear notes as expected. The score takes a while to reveal itself like a lot of Elfman scores, there are at least two themes there despite other people claiming there are none.

lonzoe
    Participant

Is it a pressed cd or cdr?

ddddeeee
    Participant

Pressed. :D

bookbinder3
    Participant

Got mine today. Very nice listening. I like the instrument palette of these kinds of Elfman scores, the glass and the bells, and the marimba in this is nice, especially in the more propulsive cues (I like the Classroom tracks especially). Still waiting for the melodies to become fully apparent. Not sure how I feel about that oddly layered (sampled sounding?) solo vocal line though.

Lambegue
    Participant

A nice little album. There is a continuity in his works for Van Sant, at least since Milk… Very agreable.

Thor
    Participant

I really dig this album. The 10-minute recording session track is particularly interesting, althoug mostly as a curiousity.

bookbinder3
    Participant

That recording session track is a bit of an anomaly with regards to the rest of the score, isn’t it? Aside from the slow passages from about 1.30 in to about 8.50 which, I think, resemble the film version of “Turn Around”, I don’t know what that (very interesting) stacatto part at the start and the tremolo part at the end are supposed to refer to in the film, or relate to in the score. Wild tracks maybe?

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Anyone know the meaning/story behind the often used track name Weepy Donuts?

ddddeeee
    Participant

Anyone seen the movie? I thought it was pretty good, I liked how ‘non-showy’ everything was. The only piece of score not on the album, I think, is the 15 or so seconds of ‘Turn Around’ that plays when Steve is driving.

bookbinder3
    Participant

I liked it too, it was typical quality filmmaking from Van Sant (in that it looked and sounded nice), but I thought the story was pretty weak, and that A Civil Action dealt with the same issues better.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.