Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Dark Shadows (2013)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Tracklisting. Be warned there are MAJOR spoilers

1. Dark Shadows – Prologue (Uncut)
    2. Resurrection
    3. Vicky Enters Collinswood
    4. Deadly Handshake
    5. Shadows – Reprise
    6. Is It Her?
    7. Barnabus Comes Home
    8. Vicky’s Nightmare
    9. Hypno Music
    10. Killing Dr. Hoffman
    11. Dumping the Body
    12. Roger Departs
    13. Burn Baby Burn / In-Tombed
    14. Lava Lamp
    15. The Angry Mob
    16. House of Blood
    17. Final Confrontation
    18. Widow’s Hill – Finale
    19. The End? (Uncut)
    20. More The End?
    21. We Will End You!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    johnmullin
    Participant

Woah, some of those synths are crazy!

The clips are a lot darker and more sinister than I would have guessed them to be, based on the trailer.

Thor
    Participant

A bit too dark and horror-ey for my taste, but I’ll postpone the evaluation untill I have the whole thing.

Lucius
    Participant

Oh man, I am loving what I’m hearing so far. Sleepy Hollow, The Wolfman, The Frighteners, and The Jar all rolled into one. I was a little worried with the music in the trailer that it was gonna be all campy, Brady Bunch stuff, but hearing the score, I see Danny has nailed the tone was hoping for. I’m sure the movie will still be funny in a ‘Beetlejuice’ way, and I’m totally fine with that. Can’t wait to see the movie now, and of course get the full score, and not just these 90 sec. clips.

Lucius

P.S. Favorite 2 cues are House of Blood and We Will End You

ddddeeee
    Participant

Apparently the prologue in the movie lasts over 8 minutes, should make up for the lack of main title cue.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Here is the tracklist with times:

1. Dark Shadows – Prologue (Uncut) 7:52
    2. Resurrection 2:55
    3. Vicky Enters Collinswood 1:21
    4. Deadly Handshake 2:15
    5. Shadows – Reprise 1:08
    6. Is It Her? 0:43
    7. Barnabus Comes Home 4:18
    8. Vicky’s Nightmare 1:26
    9. Hypno Music 0:48
    10. Killing Dr. Hoffman 1:14
    11. Dumping the Body 0:59
    12. Roger Departs 2:34
    13. Burn Baby Burn / In-Tombed 2:49
    14. Lava Lamp 2:17
    15. The Angry Mob 4:40
    16. House of Blood 3:39
    17. Final Confrontation 2:21
    18. Widow’s Hill – Finale 3:47
    19. The End? (Uncut) 2:43
    20. More The End? 1:55
    21. We Will End You! 1:10

Total Time: 52:44

moongirl84
    Participant

I just found out that Jonathan Frid (the original Baranabas Collins) passed away.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/04/19/jonathan-frid-original-dark-shadows-star-dies-at-87/

D-Bo
    Participant

Those of us in LA might be interested in this Dark Shadows-related Q&A with Elfman at Warner Bros. Records on May 8!

Here’s the announcement:

http://www.warnerbrosrecords.com/news/danny-elfman-host-live-qa-session-may-8th

Quote:
    Grammy Award-winning and four-time Oscar®-nominated composer Danny Elfman will visit the historic Warner Bros. Records building in Burbank, CA to host a live Q & A open to the public on Tuesday, May 8th at 6:00pm. For those unable to attend, this event will be streamed live at http://www.livestream.com/dannyelfman where fans can submit their questions in real time. Here are the details:

When: Tuesday, May 8th
    What: Danny Elfman to Host a Live Q+A Session
    Where: Warner Bros. Records Boutique Store
    3300 Warner Blvd, Burbank, CA 91505
    Time: 6pm-7:30pm
    RSVP: dannyelfmanrsvp@gmail.com By Friday, May 4th

Also, in recognition of the upcoming Warner Bros. Pictures theatrical release Dark Shadows-which marks the 14th collaboration between composer Danny Elfman and director Tim Burton-a limited supply of 75 signed copies of the Danny Elfman & Tim Burton Grammy-nominated 25th Anniversary Music Box and 100 signed Dark Shadows Soundtracks will be available for purchase.

The Grammy-nominated Anniversary Box will be specially priced for the event at $399.99 (regularly priced at $499.99). The Anniversary Box will also be available at this special price for one week online at http://www.elfmanburton.com from Monday, May 7th though May 14th.

ddddeeee
    Participant

You can hear the full track ‘Widows Hill’ here.

http://soundcloud.com/timburden/movie-magic-dark-shadows-and

Monsterhead
    Participant

Doesn’t it seem weird that the soundtrack comes out on May 5th, which is a Saturday? Are new releases not on Tuesdays anymore?

DannyBiker
    Participant

Watertower website says May 8th, so Tuesday. Will it be available online earlier ? iTunes ?

Monsterhead
    Participant

Yeah, the main page here at MFADP says May 5th. I guess I didn’t bother to double-check anywhere else…

sajrocks
    Participant

Size Matters: Danny Elfman goes small to get “Dark Shadows vibe”.

Won’t let me embed, but a short video interview about the score is here: http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/dark-shadows/interview-danny-elfman.

UPDATE: Perhaps an outtake from the new three-minute making-of featurette at http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/darkshadows/ ?

ddddeeee
    Participant

Elfman was just on radio and they played a chunk of the score. The Prologue is really something.

EDIT: Here it is. http://www.eastvillageradio.com/shows/nowplaying.aspx?contentid=1284&showid=245374

boingomusic
    Participant

I recieved the cd saturday, and finally got to listen to it.
    It’s much more quieter than I thought. A lot of sensitive moments, but very dark. I thought we might get a lot of 70’s influenced music, but hopefully it’s not the case.

Can’t wait to see the movie!

It’s a shame they messed up the back print of the cd though… The film credits have been slightly cut by the album credits. It’s not a big deal, but I’m surprised Sony Music doesn’t check the artwork before printing so many copies…

sajrocks
    Participant
    Thor
    Participant

I saw the film today.

Loved it!

lonzoe
    Participant

Thor Wrote:

> I saw the film today.
    >
    > Loved it!

Your thoughts on the score? Please.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I’m glad to hear that. It’s getting torn apart at the moment.

Thor
    Participant

The score was great in context, except that it was mixed too low. Too many loud sound effects. But when it shone, it really shone. Great WOLFMAN/Kilar vibe alongside the 70’s grooves and the odd instrumentation here and there (some flute or theremin thingie?).

Not sure I’d get a lot of pleasure from it on a CD (a bit too horrorey for my taste), but as usual hand-in-glove for a Burton film.

boingomusic
    Participant

I just saw the movie… I liked it… But I was very surprised by the lack of poetry…
    Usually, Tim Burton’s movies are very poetic, even when they’re really dark, and even when they sing Broadway-like songs like in Sweeney Todd. But here, I felt there were way too many characters, and he didn’t get to explore them enough. At least not enough for the audience to feel anything for them. It was beautiful, funny at times, but too cold.
    And in my opinion, a lot of the humor was based on jokes we had already seen in other movies. I couldn’t help but think of Disney’s Hocus Pocus, when whiches wake in the 20th century and react when they first see a car, a street, or the TV. Nothing new here… And, one must be very patient to finally hear Elfman’s music. I have a feeling that a lot of his music has been replaced by songs. I didn’t hear the track “Dark Shadows – reprise” and I was wondering if it wasn’t supposed to be played during the main titles, instead of “Nights in white satin” …? It was surprising to see a Tim Burton Main Titles without Elfman’s music… Interesting, yes, but surprising…

What did you guys think ???

bookbinder3
    Participant

Are you guys seeing previews or something? I’m looking forward to it. I thought the titles might play over the prologue if at all, considering the amount of back story there is. That sounds very late in the film (if it’s track wise where the “reprise” is) for titles, Sleepy Hollow late. What’s the context of the titles might I ask? How do they play?

DannyBiker
    Participant

We live in a place called Europe where it has been released yesterday…:)

I disagree with you boingomusic : I’m sure the use of songs has been planned way ahead and don’t think that any of Elfman’s music was rejected. They might tried some original cues on several scenes but went for the song in the end. However, don’t you guys think it’s an issue : songs work very well and most of the time they actually really interact with the film (they are justified on screen), which confirms my feeling that it was planned all along.
    As for the main title, Burton may have asked Elfman to try to write it (Taking Woodstock style ?) but I’m also fairly sure that they actually chose a song to mark the era’s change. And to be honest, it works very very well.

So yes, it doesn’t leave much room to Elfman and this might be one of his shortest score for Burton, also because there are many dialogue scenes without music. All in all, it feels way more balanced than Sleepy Hollow’s over-musicality for example. Elfman’s got the prologue to shine as well as the finale and rest assure that he doesn’t miss the opportunity. His main theme has some great momentum that gives you the shivers. The rest of the score is more about experimenting with the 70’s feel (Wendy Carlos notably), atmospheric cues, etc. It’s quite an interesting score actually but more technically than melodically.

As for the film, it’s a Burton comedy with more spooky moments. It’s all about the characters, how they interact, what they represent (the protective mother, the disappointing father, the sexual predator, the outcast), etc. It has that mixture of humor, “campyness”, sex, horror that only Burton can balance right. It’s not a great movie but a good one and I really think it’s one of his most interesting work in a while, with a lot of things to be analyzed in terms of its vision of the American society, on war of genders, etc. There are also several choices made by Burton here that departures from his usual style, which is pleasant.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.