Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Dark Shadows (2013)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 76 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Natrebo
    Participant

I have yet to see the movie, but after listening to the whole score all the way through… twice – I have to say this is one of the best Beginning-To-End listens from a Tim Burton Score in a while. This is mainly due to the strong opening followed by the atmospheric cues (broken up with the Reprise ALICE style) that then give way to an extended exhilarating ending that starts with “The Angry Mob”. From that cue to the end is well paced and never repetitive. Contrast this Score (And it’s album presentation) with ALICE and you come away thinking that Elfman found a lot more to say with this score. I love it and can’t wait to hear it in context.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Apparently Burton was particular about song selection. So it doesn’t surprise me that there are many in the film. But rest assured they were always going to be there in the first place.

bookbinder3
    Participant

I too, live in a place called Europe. The UK part. Where, despite the fact Tim Burton lives, works and recently made a film called “Dark Shadows” here, it’s not out until tomorrow. Ho hum. Still looking forward to it.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Oops, forgot that Wednesday is the “new release day” only in French speaking countries. My bad.

Let’s clink Belgian and Brit beers to patch things up*. :)-D

*At least if you can see smilies. I can’t.

bookbinder3
    Participant

No, don’t know what’s wrong with the smilies. It’s the sentiment that counts, though.
    *Cheers*.

Thor
    Participant

I saw a press screening a few days ago, that’s why I was a bit early.

Here’s my review, by the way, although you have to use Google Translate to get it in English:

http://montages.no/2012/05/klassisk-burton-i-dark-shadows/

ddddeeee
    Participant

I thought the movie was a blast. Surprisingly little score though, and a lot of songs. Good songs admittedly.

I left at the start of the credits but the last three tracks didn’t play in the movie.

bookbinder3
    Participant

Just back. It was fantastic.
    Score was used sparingly. Not nearly so front and centre as the likes of Charlie or Alice, or any of the other Elfman/Burton films. But when it did come in, it really worked a treat.
    Thought the songs were used very well. Already bought the score album, will probably buy the song album and mix the two together.
    Definitely destined to be one of my favourite Tim Burton films. more re-watch value than Alice, I think.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yeah, I’m sure this film will get better and better with time. I feel a Big Fish situation there…
    And I too, loved the use of songs so much that I might make my chronological playlist mixing the songs and Elfman’s music. Yes, I’m going to put songs in the middle of an Elfman/Burton score…2012 wasn’t in vain.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Vicki Enters Collinwood is very different in the film.

bookbinder3
    Participant

There’s always something different. I remember some interesting stuff with bells when she sees the painting of Barnabas in the film version. Not sure if it’s just been cut short or if it’s all different. Will have to see it again/wait for the dvd to check everything out properly.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Exactly what I expected — a big, expensive, melodramatic soap opera! I did notice that “House of Blood” was significantly different in the film. There’s a pulsing beat in the film version that’s mixed a lot more prominently, plus it sounded like there were some tracked in gestures as Barnabas was manhandled by the statue.

The whole time I was watching I kept saying to myself this would make a great TV series ;)

sandyclaws
    Participant

I saw it last night and enjoyed most of it. There were some serious story problems that could have been fixed if Tim Burton would have taken out all his self-indulgent moments (the ball, the awkward and unfunny sex scene, Christopher Lee cameo) that had nothing to do with the story and focused more on what was important (the love story). It could have been great.

I loved the music on album and even more in the movie. I hope someday the complete score is released with all the great moments that were not included on the soundtrack album. The film version of Vicki Enters Collinwood was incredible.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

sandyclaws Wrote:

> The film version of Vicki Enters Collinwood was incredible.

I’m glad you mentioned that because I noticed while watching the film, but had to check this morning on the drive-in to work. The track is so different (as Vicki enters the Collinwood courtyard) that I thought that cue wasn’t on the album!

The movie was okay. It could have been better. But the score was pretty good.

bookbinder3
    Participant

Now have both albums, and I’m thinking that “The End?” from the song album is the film version of the end credits. The End on the score album is extended, and I remember that drum/cymbal crash at the start of the cue that isn’t on the score album version. Can anyone back that up before I have to go see the film again?

ddddeeee
    Participant

Saw the film again. Noticed that the music when Vicki first sees Josette in Collinwood and when Angelique visits the construction site and then goes to Collinwood are not on album.

lonzoe
    Participant

Finally saw the movie. Though it wasn’t terrible like critics and fans made it out to be. It could’ve been so much better. First off I’m not that familiar with the show. I’ve seen bits of it when SYFY (was spelled SciFi channel back in the day) reran eps. To be honest I thought it was pretty dull for a vampire soap opera though the idea and premise was interesting. So I never really cared for it. My mom was a big fan though. Don’t get me wrong that was a show that I wanted to like but could never get into.

Here’s some of the problems I had with the Burton film. I’ll try not to spoil it for some who have yet to see it. The Victoria character was underdeveloped and the movie felt like it forgot her once Banabas returned. The romance between Barnabas and Victoria was just as underdeveloped as her character. In fact every character except Barnabas and Angelique were underdeveloped. The third act was also very sloppy. It wasn’t as great as it ahould’ve been. It felt like it was trying too hard to be like Beetlejuice’s finale and failed miserably. This film needed another rewrite badly. I really didn’t feel emotionally invested in the characters except for Barnabas’ of course. I wish they could’ve done more with the family especially with Victoria (I know she’s not a Collins but a guest/nanny) sense she was introduced in 1972 before every other character in that period. The movie should’ve focused on her POV as much as Barnabas since his feelings for her are similar to his lost love Josette and b/c of how much she reminds him of her. I didn’t like the explanation of why Victoria was attracted to Barnabas either. B/c it feels “hynoptic”. Come on. The romance or whatever was poorly developed and almost forgotten b/c of how many characters Burton and co. tried to juggle and so that one explanation is why she’s attracted to Barnabas? Though there was hardly any relationship imo. A lot of ideas needed more focus since so and so cursed the family. The movie just threw ideas at the end and expects us to go with it like “I’m a werewolf get over it” ” Oh so and so was bit by a werewolf in so and so’s crib” “I pushed so and so’s into the river” ” etc. That’s just sloppy but I guess these events happened to certain characters in the show so that’s why it was there. It just didn’t anything to the film with it being there. There were other problems as well but I don’t want to keep going.

The production values are top notch as always in Tim’s films. The cast were decent. And did what they could with what little they was given. It’s hard to judge the family especially the younger cast b/c of what little they werer given to do. Though Pfeiffer wasn’t used enough at the best of her talents. She did good with what she was given. Depp and Green gave good performances not surprising sense their relationship was put into the forefront over the Collins family. I also found the subplot or whatever with HBC interesting. Needed more scenes like that. Oh and Elfman’s score was good but I don’t recall anything really amazing going on with the music in the film. It has a similar tone and style of his “Wolfman” score. But that’s not a complaint. I’m still getting the cd regardless. But Burton really should’ve hit a home run with this one. This really lacks the magic that certain films of his has, imho. Overall I thought the film was decent. It had some entertaining bits but was a missed opportunity for Burton and Depp. It could’ve so much better. Just needed an all around better script with more focus. The movie was all over the place with ideas.

ddddeeee
    Participant

The score charted at no.35 on the starpulse album charts. Whatever that is.

http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/new-dark-shadows-production-design.html

ddddeeee
    Participant
Viewing 20 posts - 76 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.