Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘Polar Express’ sounds like ‘Edward Scissorhands’?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    mike
    Participant

do you guys think elfman should sue silversti for “the polar express” score
    because it sounds JUST LIKE “ed scissorhands”
    same boys choir and everything

Katie
    Participant

Geez . . . you’re gonna get people all worked up with that subject name.

Hell no . . . Polar Express doesn’t sound anything like Edward Scissorhands . . . and wouldn’t it be record labels suing each other instead of composers?

No one can really sue anymore over that kinda of stuff unless the melodic organization is literally an exact copy. Using styles and forms from other composers isn’t exactly illegal.

FFC

Anonymous

This turned out to be a lame post. I thought Elfman might actually be filing suit against Silversti. You really need to phrase your subject titles a little bit better mike.

Danny Burton
    Participant

Good lord, mike. You should be more careful with your posts.

First the “feud” with Ottman and now this.

If you really must start topics like these, at least put a question mark at the end.

God.

Danny Burton
    Participant

Bless your heart, Ryan.

mike
    Participant

it’s a good way to attract attention to your thread
    i’m guessing you haven’t been to the IMDB boards
    it’s filled with stuff like this “elfman and fonda sex tape”

mike
    Participant

just want to know if he’s going to take legal action or not
    sheesh

mike
    Participant

was hoping he’d sue
    it sounds so similar it’s crazy

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I found the basis for Polar Express. Listen to John Debney’s “Elf” score. I mean, exact same notes. Maybe different instruments, but same notes. I like Debney and Silvestri, so I’m not going to go further.

Katie
    Participant

So does that mean I’m justified if I post a message about the Planet of the Apes score with the subject line, “Danny Elfman killed in plane crash” just because I want lots of people to read what I wrote?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

There is a strange similarity between the main “gooey” theme from ELF (first hear when Buddy traverses the mountaintop as he treks to New York City) and the main theme from POLAR EXPRESS. If you get your hands on the POLAR EXPRESS promo tracks, you’ll hear one cue in particular that sounds very much like EDWARD SCISSORHANDS. I’ll post a clip if there is any interest.

Ryan

mike
    Participant

please post it when you get the chance
    don’t want people to think i’m going crazy *which i am*

mike
    Participant

yes

mike
    Participant

sweet jebus people it was a bloody joke

mike
    Participant

i like them both too
    “Van Helsing” was my favorite score of last year, so it’s not like i hate silversti or none
    i just feel like he shouldn’t have ripped elfman off like that

Katie
    Participant

Can you maybe post that cue from Elf???

I really wish that movie had a score CD out :-( I am curious to hear which part of Polar Express sounds like Elf . . .

mike
    Participant

i haven’t seen elf so i can’t really comment on debney’s score for that movie

but polar express is just a ripoff from start to finish

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Katie – the score for ELF was released on Varese Sarabande.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

http://johndebney.com/projects/elf/?ref=cd

All of those samples contain the theme that I was referring to, especially “Main Titles.” I loved these bouncy tunes, and they were the only samples of film music that my friends would literally hum in the hallways at school after hearing (Elf was the movie that all the classes watched the day before winter break).

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Here are some clips from “Elf” and “The Polar Express”. Make sure to right click and save as, because these won’t be here forever.

“Elf” Clip 1 – Big statement of “Buddy’s Theme”, similiar to first half of “The Polar Express” main theme.

“Elf” Clip 2 – “Buddy’s Theme” scaled down similiar to the next clip…

“The Polar Express” Clip 1 – First half of theme is remarkably similiar to “Elf” theme.

“The Polar Express” Clip 2 – Reminds me of “Edward Scissorhands”, even has it’s own well-timed crescendo, finishes with an Edward-ian choir.

Ryan

Danny Burton
    Participant

Heh. Sounds to me like Silvestri got half of the Buddy’s theme and half of Edward’s theme.

Nice.

mike
    Participant

see that’s why i think some legal action should be taken

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Wow, that is a little bit too close to Edward Scissorhands, isn’t it!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Why? Danny’s rolling around in cash from his success, and Polar Express wasn’t a very successful movie for the money that was spent on it. I think justice is served.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.