Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Terminator Salvation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Nick Parker
    Participant

Hm, I listened to samples of Wanted. Is the majority of the score simiiar in terms of tone and orchestration to “Revenge”? If so, I think I will find it best to pursue Standard Operating Procedure instead….

DannyBiker
    Participant

Revenge is not really representative of the soundtrack best moments. Listen to Success Montage, Rats, Welcome to the Fraternity or Fox In Control; all are great action cues, quite reminiscent of one of Elfman’s greatest action score (and my personal favourite), Mission: Impossible.
    As to choose between Wanted and SOP, it’s quite a dilemma that just won’t be solved : go with your instincts and get the other score later (“as soon as you can” that is). :)

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’m kind of confused why you are here and yet you still need to listen to samples and ask for recommendations for a Danny Elfman score? It should be a given,as an Elfman fan, that when an album comes out, you get it, as soon as humanly possible.

elfboy91
    Participant

Amen.. I don’t have every Elfman album but as soon as I can get it… i do! And If I can’t get it I just watch the movie a few times.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Because there is the occasional Danny Elfman score I dislike, namely Proof of Life and The Kingdom, and “Revenge” seemed to indicate a similar feel. I am not a fan of that “Rock” sound, and if I do purchase Wanted, I doubt “Revenge” would be a cue that I would often listen to. However, if the score is apparently similar to Mission: Impossible, then means only good things for me….

(Currently listening to “Reunion in the Tent/ Searching for the Well”)

D-Bo
    Participant

Definitely don’t judge the rest of the album from the “Revenge” cue. Initially, I didn’t take to it, but I did warm up to it eventually. I enjoy the second half of cue more.

But dude, Wanted is far and away my favorite score of 2008 (though the movie itself fell far short of that for me). According to iTunes here, “Success Montage” is the most-played track in my iTunes library right now.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Oh, now I want to get that score…but Italian instincts are…taking …over…must save…money…oh, fine, I am going to check the prices. Happy?

Nick Parker
    Participant

Okay, I bought it for $16.00. I hope it is as good as you guys say….

elfboy91
    Participant

my computer sucks.. just deleting the message i put twice!

elfboy91
    Participant

You won’t be sorry.

Nick Parker
    Participant

I will be holding you to that!

(Currently listening to “Rooftops”)

There’s new Terminator news that’s not about Elfman, but I feel like it affects him. As well all know, Watchmen, under-performed so WB is nervous about another big budget R rated movie. So…they are making McG delete scenes and trim others so they can get a PG-13. Now, how does this affect Elfman? Well…obviously he’s composing an R rated movie. And if scenes are being deleted and other scenes are being trimmed then that means that his music will also have deleted parts and trims. So, when the CD is released in May/June we’ll be hearing music that’s not in the theatrical cut. It’ll be on the unrated DVD, of course. Still…it’ll be interesting to go watch the movie and then buy the CD a week or two later and hear new music. This hasn’t happed to Elfman fans since Spidey 2 in 2004.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

The difference between an R rated film and a PG-13 one can be as little as a few seconds. I don’t think you’ll see whole sequences deleted.

There’s reports of one scene being deleted. It involves actress Moon Bloodgood running around naked in the rain. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be a love or sex scene or whatever. But if it has Elfman music you’ll hear it in the CD first. As for trims, this is supposed to be a war movie. So I can imagine some violent parts that the studio will want removed. So, Elfman’s music will be micro-edited. If there’s a 5-second scene where a robot cuts someones head off then that’s 5-seconds of Elfman music cut.

Natrebo
    Participant

The funny thing is that Hollywood cares more about filthy language than they do about violence. Britain is usually more anti-violence… what a weird system the MPAA has?!?!?!?

Hollywood likes violence but not graphic one. They don’t mind a guy getting a machine guy and shooting 100 people. But if one guy gets a knife and sticks it into another guys eye then there’s a problem.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Descent Into Mystery, you assume that the deleted music, assuming that there will be missing music (I am not saying that there will not be any, but we cannot say for certain) will find its way on the album, which I am not sure is a safe assumption to make.

I see no reason why it wouldn’t be in the ablum. If WB insists on turning Terminator into a PG-13 I am 99.9% certain that there will be a unrated DVD. And Danny is aware of this so he might as well include the track on the album. Plus, if the deleted scene is some sort of romantic and/or sex scene it might be important to Elfman since he loves the more quiet scenes where his music is more in your face. So, that may be extra motivation to include it in the album. Right now…all we know about the deleted scene is that actress Moon Bloodgood runs around naked in the rain. This may be one of those emotional scenes that Elfman loves so much or maybe it’s just random nudity. We’ll find out in May. Either way I think Elfman music will be in that scene. Naked people in the rain seems like the type of scenes that would have music in it.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’m kind of confused by this fascination with this 1 to 2 seconds of music not in the film being on an album. If for example, someone in T4 gets a robot skewer through their face, it’s likely the filmmakers will snip less than a second of material and insert a cutaway.

To better understand just how little is trimmed to get a rating, take for example MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN. I believe the unrated DVD runs 10 seconds longer than the R-rated theatrical cut. If you consider the amount of gore violence in that film, 10 seconds is a blink of an eye.

D-Bo
    Participant

It should be noted that if you’re familiar at all with anything Terminator-related, you should already know that people running around naked usually has something to do with being transported through time, as time-traveling in the Terminator world is impossible to do while carrying any sort of possessions on one’s person, including clothing. This seems more likely to me than the scene in question being a love or sex scene. Though again, as Ryan has said, we’re really nitpicking here. There probably won’t be much more than a few seconds’ difference.

Yes, I know about the naked transportation. However, in the past three movies they only show the people’s butt. Butts ARE allowed in PG-13. Did you see Adam Sandler’s “You Don’t Mess with the Zohan”? There was a lot of butts in that movie and it was PG-13. The scene in question is obviously a full-frontal scene. Secondly, why will there be transportation in the new movie? It takes place in the future!The future in which John Connor sents his dad to 1984.

elfboy91
    Participant

I’m gonna just wait for the movie… I don’t think it matters…

:)

Thor
    Participant

A sneak-peak at the how the recording is coming along, complete with a sound cliip!:

http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/183/

Any updates? I’ve already heard the scores for Wolverine and Star Trek. Terminator is the only big May picture missing. C’mon, Elfman. Deliver your hungry fans some music!!!

Nick Parker
    Participant

I have been wondering that, as well. According to Scoring Sessions.com, the score was recorded at the beginning of April, and I am not referring to the April Fool’s Day joke.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.