Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Tim Burton’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    bookbinder3
    Participant

I have listened to the interview already. Alice’s Theme IS in the film, it’s in the end credits and was written for the end credits. As he says in the interview: “I gave Tim borth versions (one with lyrics and one without) and told him whichever one he wanted for his end credits there’s no pressure” or something like that.
    I’m talking about opening titles, not credits. Alice’s theme doesnt really work as an opening title anyway. If the title music in the film is the only title music why wouldn’t it be on the Soundtrack?
    Thoughts?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I think opening the album with “Alice’s Theme” was a strong statement. It bookends nicely with the final reprise. Slotting in the main titles after “Alice’s Theme” would seem redundant. The titles are more magical in the film than separated anyways.

bookbinder3
    Participant

I think Alice’s Theme is wonderful. But you know how Important the titles are in an Elfman score, and a Burton film. So why wouldnt the opening track be on the CD? Even for completeness’ sake?
    I’m not here to argue. I just wanted to see if anyone had any inside info.
    I

DannyBiker
    Participant

The main title music was just another variation of the Alice theme. As we get 5 Reprises and many variations inside the score itself, I really don’t feel that it is “missing”…

bookbinder3
    Participant

My point about the titles not being on the soundtrack is why arnet they there? Can anyone give me a good reason?
    Anyway. Heres a link to the Oscar Profile for Danny. It shows him scoring Alice. At 1.05 there is a shot of a cure sheet. Which clearly has “Titles-Short” and “Titles-Long” on it. What I was curious about was the existence of two titles.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Bookbinder, I don’t think anyone here can give you a good reason why the titles aren’t on the CD because no one here was involved with the production of the album…! :)

DannyBiker
    Participant

To change subject :
    does anybody else feel that the choir of the Alice’s theme reprise in “The Proposal/Down The Hole” (part of the film where she’s following the rabbit) are samples ? If they are not, it sure sounds like it…

D-Bo
    Participant

Yeah, they’re samples. Doesn’t sound like that in the movie, though. They must’ve had to get something out for the album before recording the choir on that cue.

boingomusic
    Participant

Actually, I think it DOES sound like that in the movie… I remember being very surprised hearing samples. I mean, there’s real chorus in almost every track. I don’t think it has anything to do with a lack of time to re-record a track. I think it’s definitely a deliberate choice… The only question is : why ?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster
    boingomusic
    Participant

Wow, Ryan, where did THIS come from? It’s not the one in the movie is it? Nor the one on the cd, i believe…

DannyBiker
    Participant

Hey,

I bought the French magazine Mad Movies (dedicated to horror/fantasy films) which has a special Tim Burton issue this month.
    In the Danny Elfman article, the journalist mentions that Elfman had to adapt his Alice’s musical vision because Burton and/or the studio weren’t convinced by his “baroque” take on the film.
    Can anyone confirm this (by a source link) ?

The magazine’s information are most of the time right but I’m curious about that one as I never heard anything like that. They also mention Burton’s desire to give Edward Scissorhands’ part to Michael Jackson and its score to…The Cure.

FrankV
    Participant

The featurette on the blu-ray is only 3 minutes long. And it’s only available on the US blu-ray. All international releases don’t include this featurette and several other featurettes. There are 47 minutes of extras on the US blu-ray release and 18 minutes of extras on the US and international DVD releases and the international blu-ray release.

moongirl84
    Participant

This stinks. I’m going to try and wait and see if they will release a 2 disc special edition DVD like they did with “Charlie And The Chocolate Factory”. To me it’s too soon.

DannyBiker
    Participant

There is a 2-disc DVD edition of Charlie ? Does it exist in Blu-ray ?
    As for Alice, I’m not sure to follow you FranV. Does it mean that only the US Blu-Ray disc will contain the music featurette or Blu-ray discs in general (US & International) ?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I don’t know about the international versions, but the NA (US & CANADA) Blu-ray/DVD combo includes the music featurette, while the DVD-only does not. ALICE is precisely why I upgraded to Blu-ray about a month ago :)

DannyBiker
    Participant

Alice is precisely why I won’t as the combo DVD/Blu-ray will help to wait. :)

bookbinder3
    Participant

Will there be Alice clips going up on the site?
    I would LOVE to have the opening music from the film.

So, Ryan, is Disney campaigning for Danny Elfman? I saw an ad today where they campaigned for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Visual Effects, Best Make-Up, and Best Costumes. So…no Elfman and no Burton. What little faith they have. OBVIOUSLY, this movie won’t be nominated in the “big” categories, but it should land a few technical nominations. As for Elfman, he SHOULD have a shot. This year hasn’t exactly been very good for movies scores. “Alice,” “Inception,” and Mike Andrews low-key score for “Cyrus” have been the only ones that have stood out for me. So far anyway.

Thor
    Participant

I doubt ALICE will stand a chance, mostly because the film received so many negative reviews. Maybe some technical nominations, but that’s about it. I don’t think Elfman’s score will be part of those, but I would love to be wrong. It’s a great score.

Elfman will be nominated depending on the competition. So far his only REAL competition is Hans Zimmer’s “Inception.” BUT, we still have “Tangeled” left. Alan Menken is an Oscar favorite. There’s a new Harry Potter flick. A new “Chronicles of Narnia.” “Tron: Legacy” has been getting some good buzz. So, we’ll have to wait and see how those scores turn out.

D-Bo
    Participant

Knowing the Academy, I wouldn’t count out The Social Network being nominated for Best Score, either.

bookbinder3
    Participant

What I’ve heard of the new Potter score I HATED. There wasn’t even an inkling of the theme, which I was really annoyed about.
    I’d hate something as beautiful and original as “Alice’s Theme” not to get noticed. It’s probably the score he deserves to win for of the last 10 years or so.

ddddeeee
    Participant

As much as I’d love it to happen. I don’t think Alice has much of a shot.

Thor
    Participant

I think your thinking terribly commercial, DIM. The academy usually has at least 1 or 2 more quirky, offbeat scores and then maybe one or two big ones, like the titles you mention.

I can actually see THE SOCIAL NETWORK being nominated. It’s very sophisticated.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 194 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.