Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Tim Burton’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 176 through 194 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I don’t know how much of a push they’re doing for Danny’s score, but it is featured on the Disney Awards site (currently not loading, not sure why)

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/aliceinwonderland/index.php

Monsterhead
    Participant

The Social Network was a great score. And you know how the Academy loves honoring former Rock artists turned film composers :)

It’s loading now, Ryan. Here’s Danny’s page:
    http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/aliceinwonderland/music.php

And, Thor, as for the Academy’s decision to balance commerical with offbeat, that’s a given. However, this year has been a little weak. “The Social Network” is the only indie score I can see being nominated. And, MAYBE “Cyrus” if the Academy remembers that it exists. But I guess we should also wait for Carter Burwell’s score to “True Grit.” If the trailer is any indication, that movie SHOULD have a badass score.

elfboy91
    Participant

UGH… I love THE SOCIAL NETWORK. It’s probably my favorite movie of the year so far… and I liked the score. I bought it and still listen to it.

I think it is possible it will get a nomination, but I don’t think it’s That Great. I don’t know why, maybe it’s me as a musician thinking it is more artful when you compose for an orchestra rather than a techno score. I really really hope TSN doesn’t get a nomination or better yet win(best score I mean)!

DannyBiker
    Participant

How about Desplat’s Ghost Writer ? I really liked that one, very hermmanesque…:)

Anonymous
    Inactive

From what I’ve read, several parts of TSN’s score were lifted from Ghosts. If that’s true, it will most likely rule out a nomination.

Monsterhead
    Participant

I second that! THE GHOST WRITER was a great score. And the Academy seems to love Desplat.

I haven’t heard Desplat’s score to Ghost Writer nor seen the movie. But it all comes down to campaiging, really. The Oscars are very political that way. So, Desplat is more likely to get nominated for Harry Potter since WB will make a big push.

Thor
    Participant

elfboy91 Wrote:

> I think it is possible it will get a nomination,
    > but I don’t think it’s That Great. I don’t know
    > why, maybe it’s me as a musician thinking it is
    > more artful when you compose for an orchestra
    > rather than a techno score. I really really hope
    > TSN doesn’t get a nomination or better yet
    > win(best score I mean)!

I don’t evaluate how artful something is by what idiom is used to compose it – whether it’s orchestra, techno, jazz, rock or a single guitar.

It’s all in how it sounds and how it’s used.

I’d say THE SOCIAL NETWORK has a chance as a score nominee. There’s the Grieg quote, though, which may or may not rule it out. But I’ve not heard about any quoting from GHOST, whatever that is.

Thor
    Participant

I think I can say with 99% certainty that HP7 will NOT be nominated. It’s not Oscar territory (unless it had been scored by Williams) and it’s terribly uninteresting. Standard suspense music.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some OTHER score by Desplat gets nominated, though.

Yeah, the Desplat’s score for Harry Potter wasn’t too good. It’s disappointing that he did a better job with Twilight.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

82. Best Score Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media

Alice In Wonderland
    Danny Elfman, composer
    [Walt Disney Records]

James Horner, composer
    [Fox Music/Atlantic Records]

Inception
    Hans Zimmer, composer
    [Reprise/WaterTower Music]

Sherlock Holmes
    Hans Zimmer, composer
    [WaterTower Music]

Toy Story 3
    Randy Newman, composer
    [Walt Disney Records]

lonzoe
    Participant

rkeaveney Wrote:

> 82. Best Score Soundtrack Album For Motion
    > Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
    >
    > Alice In Wonderland
    > Danny Elfman, composer
    >
    >
    > Avatar
    > James Horner, composer
    >
    >
    > Inception
    > Hans Zimmer, composer
    >
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes
    > Hans Zimmer, composer
    >
    >
    > Toy Story 3
    > Randy Newman, composer
    >

Sweet. Eventhough Zimmer is probably going to win for Inception.

Nomination #11.

His past nominations are
    Batman (2 nominations; 1 win)
    Dick Tracy
    Edward Scissorhands
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Men in Black
    Planet of the Apes
    Spider-Man
    Big Fish
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Including “Alice”, that’s 8 nominations for a Burton film and one win.

elfboy91
    Participant

Yes but this is Avril Lavigne’s ALICE which I believe was played at the beginning of the end credits.

According to the academy rules, if I remember correctly, an original song has to be during the movie or has to be the first song in the end credits to be nominated in that category.

Oh well.

Yes but this is Avril Lavigne’s ALICE

Yeah, you’re right. For a moment, I forgot that song existed. I was thinking of Danny’s Title Theme from the album.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I think Elfman has a solid chance at a nomination tomorrow.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great movie. my younger cousins loved to watch it.

Viewing 19 posts - 176 through 194 (of 194 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.