Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Young… AND Elfman confirmed on SM3

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    Danny Burton
    Participant

LOL, you are such a guru, Ryan. I’ll never ever doubt you again.

With that said, F*CK YEAH!!!

Hartl
    Participant

I’m looking forward to Elfman’s new stuff too, but it’s still a shame that he won’t do SP3. I really loved the Train cue on SP2, maybe that would have been the direction to go. And what he wrote for Doc Ock was simply amazing.

And don’t forget that SP3 would have been the first THIRD score of his. We will never know what would he make out from a TRILOGY! With thematic improvement and all kinds of stuff. It’s so sad.

Even if he works with Chris Young – who I really love (remember Bless The Child!) – it won’t be the same. And SP3 will definitely fail without his music (the climax of the previous two films was purely based on Elfman’s highlights).

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I can now confirm: Elfman is writing new themes for SPIDER-MAN 3 and Chris Young will integrate the major themes from the first two pictures into his own score.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Cool, I’m glad Danny’s on the project…but I’m kinda bummed he won’t get to expand upon his own themes. That was one thing I had really been looking forward to. I was particularly unhappy with Young’s interpretation of Danny’s themes in “Spider-Man 2,” and frankly I was hoping that Danny would be expending upon his themes and writing new ones while Young provided more transitional music. Oh well, it’s still good that Danny’s on board. Now I’m interested to hear his upcoming interviews so he can tell the story of his make-up (?) with Sam Raimi. Perhaps this could lead to future collaborations, including the rumored additional installments to the Spider-Man franchise.

Danny Burton
    Participant

Why do I have the feeling that at some point Young’s score will be rejected and Danny will end up doing the whole thing.

johnmullin
    Participant

Well, if nothing else, I think that a lot of material from 1 and 2 will either be reused or re-recorded. Raimi seemed to accept nothing else for part 2!

Dawg Man
    Participant

Spider-Fan Wrote:

> Cool, I’m glad Danny’s on the project…but I’m
    > kinda bummed he won’t get to expand upon his own
    > themes. That was one thing I had really been
    > looking forward to. I was particularly unhappy
    > with Young’s interpretation of Danny’s themes in
    > “Spider-Man 2,” and frankly I was hoping that
    > Danny would be expending upon his themes and
    > writing new ones while Young provided more
    > transitional music. Oh well, it’s still good that
    > Danny’s on board. Now I’m interested to hear his
    > upcoming interviews so he can tell the story of
    > his make-up (?) with Sam Raimi. Perhaps this could
    > lead to future collaborations, including the
    > rumored additional installments to the Spider-Man
    > franchise.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Danny expanding on themes. Danny’s on as “Theme writer” and I’m happy with that. He has more self respect than humming a melody to Chris Young and saying “Take it from there.” Danny will undoubtedly write theme pieces (similar to a Williams concert piece of a theme) and give them to Young to adapt. We’ll get an Elfman/Bartek orchestration of a cue — I’m almost positive of that — and that makes me content again.

D-Bo
    Participant

ComicBookMovie.com: So are you keeping much of what Danny Elfman did, or are you re-doing everything?

Christopher Young: We decided that we were going retain three of his themes: 1) The Spider-man heroic theme. 2.) The Green Goblin theme, for Harry Osbourne, the son of the original Green Goblin who takes over his Father’s role. 3.) And finally, what is identified as the “Fate” theme from the second movie. All the themes for the new characters in this third movie, I am doing. Sandman, Venom, the black goo has a theme, the black suited Spider-Man, the new romantic theme, a whole bunch of new themes.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/3355.asp

So are we not getting any new themes from Elfman like we all had originally thought? And what is this “Fate” theme “from the second movie?” Doesn’t sound like it’s the same as the “Responsibility” theme. I’m gonna take a wild guess from out of nowhere and speculate that the “Fate” theme from the second film shows up in the last 20 seconds of the “Doc Ock Is Born” track and the last 16 seconds of “Doc Ock’s Machine.” Again, pure speculation. Anyone care to speculate along with me?

johnmullin
    Participant

I would guess that the “fate” theme probably is the responsibility theme since there wasn’t really anything in part 2 that would fit that description.

Funny that Elfman writing new themes is apparently not happening, but I’m glad Elfman is staying clear of it. Be the music good or bad, Young should be held accountable.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Ryan’s words:
    I can now confirm: Elfman is writing new themes for SPIDER-MAN 3 and Chris Young will integrate the major themes from the first two pictures into his own score,

Young’s words:
    All the themes for the new characters in this third movie, I am doing.

Ummm… a little clarification, Ryan? And by the way, thanks for the heads-up, D-Bo.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

If this is true, too bad for the romantic theme, a true wonder in my opinion…

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

There was more to the info that I held back, for my own reasons, but part of it was that the themes weren’t coming as quickly as needed, and perhaps since then Danny Elfman dropped out of the project. We will have to wait for confirmation.

Ryan

nemesis1701
    Participant

So, is Danny involved or not?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Nope! Not at all anymore.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

First Gustavo Santaolalla wins another friggin’ Oscar, then I hear this news. What a crappy night.

Kipobe
    Participant

Who were you pulling for at the Oscars, Spider-Fan?

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I was rooting for Javier Navarette’s “Pan’s Labyrinth.” It had structure and was pleasant to listen to, much unlike “Babel.”

nemesis1701
    Participant

So do they have to give Elfman credit for his themes or not?

elfmanguy
    Participant

I may cry! I may actually, SERIOUSLY cry!

mar2k
    Participant

At the end of the new Spider-Man footage released online (spoiler alert!) it clearly says:

THEMES BY DANNY ELFMAN SCORE BY CHRISTOPHER YOUNG

So there you have it.

Kipobe
    Participant

No one’s arguing that the cues heard are salty remixes of Elfman’s work, patched together with original cues from Spider-Man 2, but that doesn’t change the fact that no NEW themes are from Elfman. Besides, that could’ve been put together before Elfman’s most recent walk-out.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Regardless of whether or not there are new Elfman themes in the movie, Danny should still be getting a “Themes by” credit, like John Williams in “Superman Returns.”

Off-topic side note: Speaking of John Williams, he’s conducting a film concert in May with the Boston Pops, and I live relatively close to Boston! I’m hoping my schedule will be good and that I’ll be able to find a companion who would appreciate it, because I’ve never heard film music performed live and the concert is supposed to focus on the “Harry Potter” scores, which I love.

johnmullin
    Participant

Elfman _did_ write new themes for SPIDER-MAN 3… at Sony’s request. He did so to maintain his relationship with the studio, and did not know (nor really care) if the material would be used.

The ultimate decision was Raimi’s, he chose to go with Young’s themes. It makes sense that he would, seeing that he could have more contact (and therefore input) with Young.

There was never an Elfman “walk out” on SM3, since he was never really on it in the first place.

Danny Burton
    Participant

Will we ever get to hear those new themes?

I’d give my granda for them.

Thanks for the info, john!

Edward Bloom
    Participant

While we finally got the opportunity to listen to the entire score he wrote for Spider-Man 2, I highly doubt we’ll ever hear those new themes. Maybe the same day, we’ll hear what he wrote for his wedding !

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.