Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Young… AND Elfman confirmed on SM3

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Laying all debate to rest (sort of), confirmation will come in the next few days that Christopher Young will indeed be scoring SPIDER-MAN 3, with the possibility of using Danny’s themes. Young will also score Marvel’s GHOSTRIDER.

Ryan

Kipobe
    Participant

‘Tis a sad, sad day. Oh well… I can officially have closure now. And by now, I mean when the movie comes out in 2007 and I criticize it no end…

:(

SleepyHello
    Participant

well good for him then.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Very sad indeed. I’m sure Young will botch the original material quite nicely.

Dawg Man
    Participant

It’s only appropriate. Two Batman movies and Two Spider-man movies.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Very sad indeed. I’m sure Young will botch the original material quite nicely.

No more than Sam Raimi.

Why would we even want Danny to score Spider-Man 3 after all the tracking and contributing writing in its predecessor?

After Danny’s fine fantasy-based scores he did for Tim Burton this year, I can’t wait for the next 2 coming up.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

I couldn’t care less about Spiderman. Bring on the new stuff!!

Elfman
    Participant

It’s certainly about the pressure (in SM2) that Danny felt during SM2. Also because Danny don’t wanna makes the same thing that he did on Spider-Man 2 ; by the way Danny and Sam does’nt have the same conversation anymore… It’s too Bad. Raimi have a Bad opinion of himself about his movies (if you listen most of his Audio Commentary on DVD), imagine that with other member of HIS crew…

I’m totaly agree with you guys, but think about that it’s better for him (Danny) to turn the Page and to be concentrate to another Good Projects in Future… But I’m like you Guys, I’m very deceived but Not Surprise just because we have already heard some rumors about that recently…

So long

:(

Ghost Moth
    Participant

I just watched Hellraiser the other night. I always liked his music for that and used alot of cues from the Hellbound CD for Halloween compilations, but haven’t heard his music in much of anything else. I always wished he would get a chance to do something bigger, Hellbound is glorious.

But this is all really cheesy. Sam violated his respect for one composer by trying to get him to imitate another’s cue, and when Danny quit Sam hired Chris Young only to recycle his Hellraiser cue for use in Spider-Man. That’s an embarassment to everyone involved, whether they know it or not. The filmmmakers, thanks to Sam, have to earn some fans/moviegoers respect again. Fans who really love these kinds of movies and the people who make them; many Elfman fans.

If venom is indeed in the next movie as rumored, I guess I like that fact, but I think the franchise has lost its integrity thanks to Sam Raimi who I really loved when I was a teenager. His style and creativity really inspired me and he represented an individual with a unique and imaginitive vision, and the senibilities to commit them to screen in very exciting and effective ways that took courage and integrity.

Sam Raimi today often seems very weak-minded and weak-willed. With the first Spider-Man he was afraid to use masks even though Spidey has one of the most identifiable and cool-looking costumes ever. He wanted a clear mask for Spider-Man and he was petrified almost by the very concept of a a character in disguise as much as the Green Goblin–a classic and thrilling personification, I will add. He was afraid viewers couldn’t relate to the masked characters and wouldn’t see the movie. That’s what he has evolved into after his experiences with films for bigger studios after his independent work. With films like Darkman and Army of Darkness for Universal he was often reminded of how nervous he made them with his daring ideas most crap-making idiots in Hollywood wouldn’t understand or appreciate. It wore on him and now he’s very paranoid about what he believes will satisfy the audience and the studio. It’s very narrow-minded and I think that’s how it came to a point where someone like Mr. Elfman was taken advantage of. After all, he was replaceable to Raimi in the scheme of preserving his vision where apparently the Hellraiser cue was extremely important to him.

chocothrax
    Participant

NOOOOOOOO I wanted Debney to do Ghostrider… :( I don’t care about SM3. I’d rather new stuff from Danny. I’m glad he’s not doing it.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Here’s the advance poster for SM3

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I’m not a comic-reader, so I have no clue what this means, other than that this movie may take place in Basin City (joking, but same style). I’ll see it for the visuals and because I’m curious about how Young will adapt Danny’s score now that it’s been confirmed somewhere that he will in fact be using Danny’s themes. I lost respect for Raimi as a person, but I can’t deny that he’s a damn fine filmmaker.

Kipobe
    Participant

I don’t think he’s the greatest filmaker… especially with adaptations… and his vision is farrrr too limited (see the overly scripted awkward scenes involving Pete and MJ for reference).

Ultimately though, he has done Spider-Man a fair amount of justice in the public eye, and that’s given him the right to stay on… for now. The image with Spidey in the brooding hungover state is supposed to be a reference to the black suit that Spider-Man will wear for part of the movie.

***For those who don’t know*** in the comics, a symbiote brought back from space (likely this’ll be where John Jameson is used primarily) got attached to Spider-Man turning the suit black. Spider-Man shakes it, and the symbiote attached to Eddie Brock (you may remember Robbie Robertson mentioning “Eddie” from the first flick) causing him to become the villiaous “Venom”. The picture is the first real sign from Sony that they’ve chosen to address this storyline despite Raimi’s constant remarks that he’d never be involved with a Spider-Man movie featuring Venom.

Anyway, seeing that picture, and thinking of the potential storylines gives me renewed feelings of disappointment that Elfman isn’t attached here. Between Spidey’s struggle with the symbiote and a Sandman (Thomas Haden Church) theme, I think this could’ve been Elfman’s best comic/action work since the early Batman era. I’m not ruling out a good score from Young though…. there’ll be plenty of brooding moments, and maybe a darker tone than the previous flicks… but he’s gotta study Elfman’s groundwork and discover where the music should head to form a natural progression, as oppose to stabbing the movie with his own scent. This is really a composer goldmine with the areas this could go in, and the established music that came before. We shall see, I suppose. One thing’s for sure, it won’t be any where near as good as it could be if Raimi worked hard to patch things up with Elfman.

chocothrax
    Participant

While it’s awesome Venom will be in it I wish Carnage was in there too. Not to mention the other symbiotes.

RCox
    Participant

Considering how much of Elfman’s music Raimi threw out of the second “Spider-man,” I somehow doubt that Young will be studying the groundwork of those scores if he wants to keep this assignment. He’s a good composer. I hope he knocks it out of the park.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Raimi never threw out Elfman’s music from SPIDER-MAN 2. There was reused material from SPIDER-MAN 1 in the film, for which Elfman had written alternative music for. Ultimately Raimi went with the stuff from 1. I wish everyone would search through the archives of posts here and read up on the entire SPIDER-MAN 2 situation which I have written about extensively. I had hoped it would clear up all the inaccuracies and misconceptions surrounding SM2.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Wait, but wasn’t a lot of Danny’s original music (i.e. Train/Appreciation, Aunt May Packs, Swing Closeup) discarded by Raimi? I know he went with the music from the first movie for numerous cues, but how else would you describe what happened to all that other music Danny wrote for the sequel?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

The situation on SM2 was so contentious that Elfman told the filmmakers he wasn’t going to rewrite the temp track. I don’t think Elfman’s “Train/Appreciation” was part of the score proper — it was supposed to be “Anderton’s Great Escape” from MINORITY REPORT tracked right into the picture, if Raimi could have had his way. RCox’s post infers that Young shouldn’t follow Elfman’s blueprint because Raimi thought Elfman’s music was garbage. In fact, it was Elfman’s previous score that Raimi loved too much. That and the tracked in cues from HELLRAISER and MINORITY REPORT have nothing to do with the quality of Elfman’s music, rather the intense love of the temp track and Elfman’s integrity that ultimately had those cues left out of the picture.

Ryan

RCox
    Participant

Forgive me for defining music that was written for the film but not used as being thrown out.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’ll forgive you for that, but not for coming across as a smug prick. I’m tiring of that.

Ryan

RCox
    Participant

Okay, time for apologies. I posted my last comment in a fit of anger, which breaks one of the most important rules of netiquette. I shouldn’t have done it, and I’m sorry.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I apologize too. Let’s move on!

Ryan

Danny Burton
    Participant

Yes, let’s move on.

And to do that we’ll congregate and kill a black goat all in the interest of Sam Raimi begging Elfman to come back and Elfman changing his mind and accepting!

Seriously, I just can’t see this film not being scored by Elfman. As some of you have stated above, just imagine the possibilities of Venom and Sandman’s theme.

strongballs
    Participant

Sam rami is a great drector I like his films, producing or not. We are all saying the style of the score will be different somewhat. I do like most of young’s scores primarily horror. But I am going to see spider man no matter what.

JMY
    Participant
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.