Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Young… AND Elfman confirmed on SM3

Viewing 19 posts - 201 through 219 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    RCox
    Participant

What did you expect from Ghost Rider? Class? ;)

Danny Burton
    Participant

It was made by the director of Daredevil afterall *barf*

RCox
    Participant

HEY! Don’t you dare limit the brilliant vision of Mark Steven Johnson by consigning it solely to Daredevil… he also wrote Grumpy Old Men, thank you very much!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I’ve discovered, through way too much time on the internet, that my favorite bits from the movie were done by Deborah Lurie, who is very quickly becoming Danny Elfman’s new protege. This short cue done by Lurie in particular, though it follows the “Main Titles” rip that many of us have complained about, is orchestrated quite well and I like the direction in which it goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMwdS6CskJo

I’ve read that bits of Lurie’s and Young’s music are floating around the internet in the form of entire cues. The Young part doesn’t interest me beyond “Birth of the Sandman,” but from what I’ve heard of Lurie’s work here and elsewhere, she really seems like somebody to keep an eye on.

Danny Burton
    Participant

WOW, thanks a lot for that, SF!

I was just listening to the Main Titles again, and the only thing I like about them is the percussion Young used during the Marvel Logo.

The addition of his themes is absolutely horrific and how they felt the need to exclude the statement of the responsibility theme at the end…no words.

And is it me, or does it sound like a smaller orchestra was used? The statement of the theme that starts at 1:06 [my favorite] sounds tiny. the brass is supposed to be in your face [the last 4 notes, in particular], not to sound so anemic.

Oh, I also like the changed note in 2:41-2:42. At first I found it distracting, but now I like it.

The film’s still a turd. What a mess.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Regarding the main titles, why did Young feel the need to remove ALL the electronics from the main titles, going as far as removing ALL of the percussion from the entire section after his lousy additions? That part sounds so empty and lacks that rhythmic beat to keep the music moving! The electronics were what really made the first movie’s titles stand out, blending perfectly with the orchestra for that cool sound that really held up well for the character.

The Responsibility Theme is not at the end because Young allowed his new themes to linger far too long, thus removing a large chunk from the original main titles score. Elfman managed to make the Doc Ock Theme last a out the same length as the Goblin theme in the first movie’s titles, allowing the whole thing to play through. In “Spider-Man 3,” you’ll notice that the Sandman theme is just beginning when the music credits come up, whereas Elfman had already gotten back on track with the Spidey themes at the same point in the first two movies. Granted, in the main titles the music matches the visuals of black goo and sand, but it still doesn’t feel right.

Finally, why did he go and change that one aforementioned note? That one still bothers me. And yes, I still think the film sucked big time. Good thing I saw “Transformers” last night and it made up for all my Spider-Man disappointment with its awesomeness.

mubneosic
    Participant

Well actually that one “changed” note was part of Elfman’s original score, but the way that Young orchestrated this version of the Main Titles makes it stand out more……way more…….but it wasn’t all Young’s doing

Edward Bloom
    Participant

>> “Elfman managed to make the Doc Ock Theme last a out the same length as the Goblin theme in the first movie’s titles”

I read that comment quite often but I still don’t hear the Goblin theme in Spider-Man 1 Main Titles. I guess you are talking about the part at 1:20 but to me it’s just another Spider-Man theme variation, only a partial one that keeps repeating.
    The confusion may come from the fact that Elfman plays the Green Goblin Theme on an equivalent rythm and orchestration in the End Credits.

Danny Burton
    Participant

Really?

I’ve heard the Main Titles of the first and second film more times than I’d dare to admit, and I have never ever noticed that note.

I noticed it immediately while watching the 3rd film, because I’m so used to the music that that little note being changed took me out of the film.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

I don’t mind the change at 2:40, in fact, I wish we got more variations of that kind as slight as it is. I’m much more sceptical about the way the string anticipate the brass section at 2:52. It’s quite pointless and really feels “wrong” even if it’s tolerable musically speaking…

mubneosic
    Participant

The way its done in the first two titles is that Elfman buries that note by emphasizing the higher one. If you really really pay close attention you can actually hear it. Another reason I know so is because I have a copy of the score, and both notes are written in there (the lower one as a cue)

Danny Burton
    Participant

“Another reason I know so is because I have a copy of the score”

Lucky SOB!

Now this cue “Setting MJ Down”, where does it play exactly? I really don’t remember it and it is quite good.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I’ll assume that mostly everyone here has seen the movie already, but for those who haven’t, I’ll post a SPOILER ALERT.

It plays when, as Peter and Harry are both riding the “Sky Stick” during the final battle in pursuit of a (yet again) falling MJ, Peter rockets down and grabs MJ, then swings her to safety. There’s a really cool lead-in cue that begins when Harry and Peter are ascending up the building’s skeleton, with Peter using both web and Harry’s help to get higher. It starts with Elfman’s quick strings with a brass tune sort of playing around the Spider-Man theme, then proceeds into what I think is the best orchestration of that main titles portion used so much in the movie and finally reaching “Setting MJ Down.” Don’t ask how I know all those specifics.

And concerning Edward Bloom’s comment about the Goblin theme not being in the first movie’s main titles… you’re right. I for some reason assumed that tune was the villain theme as it was in the last 2 movies, but that was a dumb assumption because it’s clearly nowhere in there!

mar2k
    Participant

> And concerning Edward Bloom’s comment about the
    > Goblin theme not being in the first movie’s main
    > titles… you’re right. I for some reason assumed
    > that tune was the villain theme as it was in the
    > last 2 movies, but that was a dumb assumption
    > because it’s clearly nowhere in there!

But it was in the End Titles (tragically shortened in the theater for “Hero”). I had to listen a few times to actually connect the dots…….

JMY
    Participant

http://www.chrisyoung-filmmusic.info/start.htm

This source says there will be no release of the Spiderman 3 Score.

Word on the street is that Sam Raimi made a director’s cut of Spider-Man 3 which will be released on blu-ray this summer, presumably around the time of Spider-Man Homecoming’s release. Curious how that will affect the music. Spider-Man 3 had a very troubled post-production with Sony taking the movie away from Raimi and making a great deal of changes. Raimi’s version gave Sandman’s family a bigger role (in the theatrical version they only appeared in the opening scene), extra scenes of Eddie Brock and a notably different ending with Sandman’s family at the construction site.

DannyBiker
    Participant
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Apparently Young’s score is entirely restored. Well, as much as possible.

I really like what he did with this movie. The use of Elfman’s themes does sound ‘off’ but his original stuff is great. I wish he got more work.

That version was called the Editor’s Cut. Doesn’t sound like a Raimi Cut to me. Probably why it got pulled. It might not quite be finished yet.

Viewing 19 posts - 201 through 219 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.