Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Young… AND Elfman confirmed on SM3

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    elfmanguy
    Participant

It’s really nice to have a profesional writer put into cohesive words what we’re all thinking. I really wish he had gotten the chance to write it instead. He got it all right. It was as if they got amatures to write this but Raimi has been making movies for sometime now which makes it all the more disappointing. Tsk tsk!

D-Bo
    Participant

Spider-Man score CD: Link

Spider-Man 2 score CD: Link

A disc containing the score for Spider-Man 3 hasn’t been released nor announced (to my knowledge) yet.

RCox
    Participant

From what I’ve read, Koepp’s work with the first film consisted mostly of cobbling together several different drafts by several different writers into something cohesive. Either that, or I’m confusing it with Spider-man 2, where Sergent had to sift through screenplays written by Miles & Miller and Pulitzer Prize recipient Michael Chabon.

Ineedamedic
    Participant

Hey thanks alot!!!!

Dawg Man
    Participant

Well, back to Elfman and Young, — while I wish Elfman would have reprised his role — I do think Young was correct in using the old fashioned orchestra with no electronics for the new movie. Elfman could have done better with it, but at least Young tried to keep faithful to Elfman. Whether he succeeded is up to the listener, but it was better than just having an entire score recycled from the first two (even though Raimi gets close to doing that sometimes).

I guess most of you have read this: http://music.ign.com/articles/785/785841p1.html

Maybe Spider-Man 4…
    – Flynn

Danny Burton
    Participant

Did anyone else think that the Main Titles were mixed extremely LOW, except for the section with Chris Young’s new themes?

I have to say I rather liked that percussion he used during the Marvel logo that sounded like feet stomping.

boingomusic
    Participant

YES!!! That was actually the first thing that pissed me off. The movie started with that awfull low mix of the main titles, and suddenly, the Chris Young themes cut in, and it felt so random, no chord changes, no progression!!!! and then, suddenly, it goes back to that cheap low mix of the main titles theme…

I remember thinking : “And this is the most expensive movie ever made in Hollywood?!!!?? Come on guys… You can’t even edit and mix the main titles in a bearable way!!!”…

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I once read through James Cameron’s early ’90s script, and aside from the invention of organic webs that Koepp included, it would have made for a not-so-great movie. Maybe if he directed it he could have finagled some fun out of it, but the script was really weak, in my opinion. Whatever Koepp did with the first movie’s screenplay, he did it right. And I didn’t realize until yesterday that Sam and Ivan Raimi were credited not only as story writers, but also as screenwriters alongside Sargent on “Spider-Man 3″… that really explains a lot.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I remember thinking : “And this is the most expensive movie ever made in Hollywood?!!!?? Come on guys… You can’t even edit and mix the main titles in a bearable way!!!”…

Further proof that sound mixers don’t actually have a job. I think I’ve said this before, but allowing one aspect of the soundtrack to survive (be it the score or sound effects) and then let the other die, or vice versa, is not a job. And to hear trained professionals say that it is (see: Spider-Man 2 DVD) is a joke.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I’m beginning to suspect that Christopher Young completely omitted the Spider-Man theme from his score, and that every instance of it heard in the movie (yes, that Main Titles rehash) was from the additional composers only. On his official website, Young has the entire “Harry Attacks Peter” track streaming (http://www.officialchristopheryoung.com/music.html) and it does not contain the Spider-Man theme at one point as it did in the movie. This leads me to believe: were the other composers brought on to adapt Danny’s music because CHRIS YOUNG NEVER USED THE SPIDER-MAN THEME AT ALL?! I would think the studio found find that rather disturbing, as did I. By the way, look through the rest of that website… in the video section, he “explains” the “best way” to score an action scene! Ahhh!!!

RCox
    Participant

In the IGN interview, Young said that he did use the Spider-man theme. Take it for what it’s worth.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

You can hear the Spider-Man theme here:

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/041/041073/vid_1964158.html

The underlining string rhythm sounds a bit like Elfman’s Planet of the Apes, funny enough. (See: “Thade Goes Ape”). You can hear it also (sort of) in the Sandman video:

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/041/041073/vid_1964158.html

JMY
    Participant

The Spiderman 3 – Main titles can simply be made with a little cut and paste here and there.

Sam Raimi must have had these tracks as the tempmusic for the main title. Then he just asked Young to make them longer =)

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/167011/Spiderman–temp-track-titles-mp3.html

But its not the first time =)

Danny Burton
    Participant

Is that music from X3?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Yes. The other bit is from the 7th Voyage of Sinbad, I believe.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Eh, that’s a bit of a stretch. I keep hearing about comparisons between the Black Suit theme and the X3 theme, but I just don’t hear much similarity. As for Sandman’s theme, if it was written off of a temp-track, then perhaps it was from some sort of pirate movie score, because somehow the theme evokes the image of a sea monster rather than a city-dwelling supervillain. That, or the Stryker theme from “X2.” It doesn’t particularly sound like the sample in JMY’s cut, but then again, the uber-simple Sandman melody didn’t seem to require much creativity anyway. However, I will say that the Marko theme (played during any mention of Sandman’s daughter and coming to full stride during his first moments in his new form, though with some awkward notes thrown in) isn’t half bad. It’s almost comparable to the Doc Ock theme in that it’s got two parts, one for the character and one for the action, except that while all of the Doc Ock theme is fantastic, Sandman’s action theme sucks and his character theme lacks much versatility.

JMY
    Participant

Well of course it not exactly the same stuff note for note, but the point was to show that Young stuff was so booooring, sometimes simpel and out of place compared with Elfmans stuff.

The Sandman action theme as said, is a real dissapointment. The good part of the music was as you said, when he tried to pick up the silver “locket”.

( or whats it called in english? We Swedes dont know all words in english yet =)

I think the symbiote theme was to over the top and more “X-men” instead of a dark evil side of Spiderman. Why didnt he try to do something “evil and twisted” with the spiderman theme to use as the symbiote music?. I know there was some parts of that in the church scene, but it should have been used more frequently.

But all efforts in the world of music couldnt save this movie from being a total *************** =)

RCox
    Participant

We’ll accept “locket” for now, but you better watch out next time!

JMY
    Participant

Hehe =) got it

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

Somebody put up a video of the Main TItles for “Spider-Man 3” online. Maybe somebody can convert the sound to MP3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLo7zZaNWlc&mode=related&search=

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Yeesh. The Venom theme sounds like when my little nephew sings music for his action figures.

It’s hard to follow the melody for the Sandman theme.

KWashi
    Participant

According to Elliot Goldenthal, that’s how you write music for superhero movies.

JMY
    Participant

Hehe true =)

But then again he´s Batman scores really sounded like a 3 year old could have done better =)

TenderLumpling
    Participant

To be fair, though, Elliot Goldenthal’s contribution to the comic book genre is light-years ahead of Young, Zimmer/Howard and Ottman.

Danny Burton
    Participant

I find it hilarious that we’re all trashing Young’s score while over at the filmscoremonthly boards most people are praising it.

I guess we know better :highhorse:

Yes, the Titles are a mess, but I really like the feet stomping percussion during the Marvel logo.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.