Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Burton/Elfman: 25 years box from WMG

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    lonzoe
    Participant

I have to buy this rather I’m happy or not with the HUGE price tag attached to this. That’s how big of an Elfman fan I am . I’d beat myself up everyday If I didn’t purchase this. No way I’m missing out on this. Ryan is right this is history being made.

At least in terms of album releases and presentation and all the music rights and publishers involved. I look at it as a blessing that they decided to do this with all the other goodies attached to the scores.

moongirl84
    Participant

Please don’t take offense to this but I rather be smart with my money. I have all the Elfman/Burton soundtracks and I’m lucky to have them. But like I said before, anyone on this board gets the box set, enjoy it and let us know how it is.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Any guesses on well this will sell out? I think I can get the money together in little over a month.

triton_15
    Participant

Dude. Amazing. Its so ppprreeettty! Hey Ryan, you stated that they are signed? But I cant seem to find that on the website, just curious, nevertheless well worth it.

admin
    Participant

Along with this, I think they should’ve released perhaps a more affordable compilation that containted highlights from each soundtrack and a bunch of rarities. It seems a little unfair on the majority of Elfman/Burton fans who couldn’t dream of buying this.

Torque
    Participant

This music box is killer! But as for non US customer it’ll cost me about $650-700.

ElfDog
    Participant

It is an awful lot of money. I suppose if you consider the amount of stuff included it’s quite reasonable. But – they should have made all of the cd’s available individually – i wouldn’t mind picking up the rarities CD and the DVD/Book. I have a sneaking suspicion they will release them individually once they have sold all the special edition boxsets. I’m going to hold out.

Plus I can’t help thinking – 3 weeks ago I bought a 22 CD Stravinsky boxset, 2 volume biography and once at a border DVD for 60 bucks all in… great great value. I recommend stravinsky to any elfman fan.

Natrebo
    Participant

You know you can also look at this as an investment if you are inclined to do so… THERE IS ONLY GOING TO BE 1000 of these! In an age where there are people who can create fakes of limited edition discs rather easy, this is one that no one will duplicate, and can be something you pass down to your kid/kids, making it an investment, not just of money.

can be something you pass down to your kid/kids

Except our kids aren’t gonna be listening to CD’s. That’s like if our parents gave us 8-track and cassettes. I mean, sure, the box is nice and the booklet is great but the albums themselve aren’t worth $500. Especially since we already own all of them. Anyone who’s buying this is doing it for the demos, alternate takes, and rareities. Stuff they can sell online for a few bucks. As for the book, they can sell that seperately as well.

lonzoe
    Participant

I found out back in August (after re-checking ” Danny Elfman’s Batman A Film Score Guide”) that the LLL 2CD for Batman was missing the four different versions of “Stair Kiss” and an alternate opening from “Descent into Mystery” Which looks like the music box is also missing. As well as the five tracks that were dialed out of the film (“Morning After”, “Board Meeting”, “Vicki Hides”, “The Truth”, and “… or their sons”) which I mentioned back in August over at the LLL 2CD Batman score thread. So its still missing cues. Oh well you can’t have everything.

Who am I kidding hopefully someone in the future will release another expanded cd with all the cues I mentioned above and then some.

Just kidding. The Elfman fan in me has to accept that.

And wait for Music For A Darkened Theatre Volume 3 to include those missing cues.

Kidding again. For real this time. The waiting and the fortune I paid for this music box that will only be availiable to me in more than two months must be driving me crazy. Just can’t get enough Elfman music.

Natrebo
    Participant

There’s only one person I can think of who I would be willing to shell out $500 without any hesitation at all, and he so happened to release this box set… even a similar set from… say, John Williams would be something I would have to think about, but this is something any one who knows me would not consider unexpected that I purchased (and for that price). This is no different than a big sports fan paying for season tickets to his or her favorite team…

I’m Team Elfman all the way!!!!

This is no different than a big sports fan paying for season tickets to his or her favorite team

No, not really. You, as a major Elfman fan, already have all these CD’s. You’re paying $500 for a pretty box, demos, alternate takes, and a book. $500 for that is pretty ridiculous. This box set is only worth $100 at the most since most of what you’re doing is double-dipping. And not even double-dipping to a new technology.

Like I said before, they should have just sold these demos and alternate takes at Apple and Amazon for a few bucks. And then the book for about $15-20. And if they REALLY wanted to sell a box set then what about releasing some of Danny’s scores that are out-of-print? You know, like Darkman. Sommersby, Black Beauty, etc.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Beside, as a huge Elfman-Burton fan, I even stopped purchasing books about them or watching extra’s on DVD as I realized that I hardly learn anything anymore. Of course there are still Burton’s drawings but I got the MOMA book for that…

Torque
    Participant

No ‘Face to Face’ from Batman Returns on this box? odd.

bookbinder3
    Participant

The embedded video says “Numbered First Run”.
    Does that mean there will be more after the first 1000, that aren’t numbered? Or something different entirely? It’s not really clear.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

That makes no sense as this is a BURTON & Elfman boxed set.

bookbinder3
    Participant

Is that a response to my question?

johnmullin
    Participant

Yeah, I’m thrilled that they’re leaving the songs off of BATMAN RETURNS, BEETLEJUICE, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, BIG FISH, MARS ATTACKS (and any others than might have had them)… It leaves more room for unreleased score.

The BIG FISH album had, what, 39 minutes of score on it? The new one looks like it’s going to be closer to 76 minutes, something that there wouldn’t be real estate for if they had tried to license the songs again for the set (which, by the way, might have jacked the price up even higher).

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

No it’s a reply to DIM, who asked why no DARKMAN and BLACK BEAUTY. Licensing and fees no doubt precluded “Face To Face” from the boxed set. And why do you need it when there is the original Warner disc, the upcoming La-La expansion?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

WARNER BROS. RECORDS TO RELEASE THE DANNY ELFMAN & TIM BURTON 25TH ANNIVERSARY MUSIC BOX THIS DECEMBER

LIMITED EDITION OF 1000 ELABORATE COLLECTIBLE PACKAGES CELBRATES 25 YEARS OF CREATIVE COLLABORATION BETWEEN ACCLAIMED COMPOSER ELFMAN AND LEGENDARY FILM DIRECTOR BURTON AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT http://WWW.ELFMANBURTON.COM

Package Features More Than 19 Hours Of Music, Including Fan-Requested Expansions Of 13 Film Scores, Plus Seven Hours Of Previously Unreleased Music, A Skeleton USB Flash Drive Containing MP3s Of The Music And A Bonus DVD Featuring An Exclusive Conversation Between Elfman And Burton

Burbank, CA – This December, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the ingenious collaboration between renowned composer Danny Elfman and legendary film director Tim Burton, Warner Bros. Records will release The Danny Elfman & Tim Burton 25th Anniversary Music Box, a very special limited-edition, numbered box set of 1000 that collects expansions of the 13 original scores that Elfman has composed for Burton’s iconic films: a newly produced library of 16 CDs each packaged with artwork by Burton, adding up to more than 19 hours of music. Additionally, the package will contain a bonus DVD of a recent exclusive conversation between Elfman and Burton discussing every film and score in their remarkable quarter century collaboration. The box is available for preorder starting today, October 1st at http://www.elfmanburton.com.

This elaborate and lovingly designed collectible box set includes the first-time-ever soundtrack release of Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure (1985), as well as scores to the films Beetlejuice (1988), Batman (1989), Edward Scissorhands (1990), Batman Returns (1992), The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), Mars Attacks! (1986), Sleepy Hollow (1999), Planet of the Apes (2001), Big Fish (2003), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), Corpse Bride (2005), and Alice in Wonderland (2010). It also includes music from Elfman and Burton’s numerous other collaborations: Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Jar, Amazing Stories: Family Dog, Beetlejuice: The Animated Series, The World of Stainboy, Tim Burton’s Museum of Modern Art Exhibit and Danny Elfman’s unused score to the Edward Scissorhands Ballet.

Additional highlights of The Danny Elfman & Tim Burton 25th Anniversary Music Box include:

* Among the 19 hours of music are seven hours of previously unreleased music including such rarities as additional masters, cut songs, song and score demos, work tapes, orchestra-only song mixes, and foreign-language songs.

* Danse Macabre: 25 Years of Danny Elfman and Tim Burton: A meticulously researched, lavishly illustrated 250+ page fine linen-wrapped hardbound book, entitled with gold foil stamping, and featuring a foreword by Johnny Depp. The book also includes rare photos, stories, and interviews from the cast and crew behind the scenes of this classic music — from the early days of Elfman’s band Oingo Boingo to the recent blockbuster film Alice in Wonderland. Interviewed are such collaborators and peers as Guillermo Del Toro, Phillip Glass, Paul Haggis, James Newton Howard, Tom Jones, Michael Keaton, Ang Lee, Errol Morris, Thomas Newman, Catherine O’Hara, Jon Peters, Paul Reubens, David Rockwell, Scott Rudin, Marc Shaiman, Howard Shore, Twyla Tharp, Gus Van Sant, and Richard Zanuck. This comprehensive 10″x10″ keepsake book is written by acclaimed film-music journalist Jeff Bond and designed by Grammy Award winning designer Matt Taylor.

* An hour-long exclusive, newly filmed DVD featuring an extended conversation between Burton and Elfman as they reflect on their quarter-century collaboration.

* As a collectible created exclusively for this treasure box of music, a distinctive Skeleton Key USB Flash Drive has been designed—inspired by the art of Tim Burton. A pull of the key unlocks a USB drive loaded with MP3s of the entire contents of this Limited-Edition Music Box. From Pee-wee’s Big Adventure through Alice In Wonderland, it’s all there, including all the bonus tracks, demos, work tapes, and other rarities.

* Newly created liner notes by Elfman discussing each expanded score and their bonus material of additional masters, song and score demos, work tapes, orchestra-only song mixes, and foreign language versions.

* A collection of music as unique as Elfman’s for the films of Tim Burton needed to be housed in something equally special, wondrous, and whimsical. Designed to evoke a treasure chest found in a mysterious attic, The Danny Elfman & Tim Burton 25th Anniversary Music Box is a work of art in itself. Grammy-winning designer Matt Taylor has transformed previously unseen art by Burton and crafted a large scale, tin-covered music box complete with an embedded music chip playing “The Music Box Suite” arranged and performed by Elfman specifically for this historic collection. And to literally top it all off, with a flip of the lid, a delightful working zoetrope is revealed featuring strips of art and photos by Burton and Elfman that come to animated life with a spin.

The Danny Elfman & Tim Burton 25th Anniversary Music Box will be released as a Collectors Limited and Numbered Edition Box of 1,000 copies. The Danny Elfman and Tim Burton 25th Anniversary Music Box is produced by Danny Elfman and Tim Burton and executive produced by Richard Kraft and Laura Engel.

About Danny Elfman: Four-time Oscar-nominated and Grammy-winning composer Danny Elfman has scored such diverse films as Spider-Man, Good Will Hunting, Beetlejuice, Batman, Men in Black, Midnight Run, Big Fish, Dick Tracy, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Mission:Impossible, Chicago, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Milk. His 25-year, 13 film collaboration with director Tim Burton began in 1985 when Elfman was pulled from his band Oingo Boingo to score Pee-wee’s Big Adveture and continues with 2010’s blockbuster Alice in Wonderland. Elfman made his classical music debut at Carnegie Hall with his symphony, “Serenada Schizophrana” followed up with “The Overeager Overture” which premiered at The Hollywood Bowl. His first ballet, “Rabbit and Rouge” choreographed by Twyla Tharp debuted with the American Ballet Theatre at Lincoln Center. . His upcoming projects include Paul Haggis’ Next Three Days, Real Steel, Gus Van Sant’s Restless, Men in Black 3, Tim Burton’s stop motion feature, Frankenweenie and Cirque du Soleil’s “Iris” scheduled to bow in residence in Summer 2011 at Hollywood’s Kodak Theatre. Elfman is also known for the classic television themes to The Simpsons and Desperate Housewives.

About Tim Burton: Tim Burton has directed memorable and stylistic films, ranging from Batman, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. His most recent blockbuster, Alice in Wonderland broke the billion dollar mark. His films have collected 6 Academy Awards and 11 Oscar nominations for everything from acting to art direction. His first feature length film, Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, was also his first collaboration with composer Danny Elfman. Their instant film chemistry led them to 13 collaborations, and will continue with Burton’s upcoming stop motion animated film, Frankeneweenie. With a background in animation, Burton has done more to revive the stop motion field than any other director, starting with his first stop motion project, Vincent, and continuing through the cult classic, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride. Burton has also published a book of characters and stories, The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy, and most recently released an immense 430 page book comprising over 40 years of his personal and project artwork, entitled The Art of Tim Burton. He currently has an art exhibit that debuted at the Museum of Modern Art in New York and is touring through several art museums across the world.

Lucius
    Participant

I know this is a long press release, but did anyone notice that it says Elfman is scoring Real Stee,l the rock em’ sock em’ robots type movie starring Hugh “Houdini” Jackman.?

” His upcoming projects include Paul Haggis’ Next Three Days, Real Steel, Gus Van Sant’s Restless, Men in Black 3″

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433035/fullcredits#cast

Lucius

No it’s a reply to DIM, who asked why no DARKMAN and BLACK BEAUTY.

I said that instead of making us waste $500 on double-dipping (which is what this box set mostly is) they should have instead released a box set of Elfman’s out-of-print scores like Darkman and Black Beauty.

johnmullin
    Participant

No, I hadn’t caught the bit about REAL STEEL or any of his other projects! And it’s nice to know that indeed he’ll be doing MIB3!

Natrebo
    Participant

I had suggested, when Mr. Kraft asked on the FSM board, that we get something along the lines of the Disney – Menken / Ashman box set with demos and alternates and I’ve got just that, granted, it is a lot more expensive, but I don’t mind double dipping if it means we get that and what equates to be 250 pages of liner notes! If the book is even half as good as the Disney one then it will be a treat to read!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ryan, Real Steel – sticky? :)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.