Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Burton/Elfman: 25 years box from WMG

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Well the limited edition comes with a 17th CD signed by Danny Elfman. I think that’s worth it ;)

Monsterhead
    Participant

And now that the printing cost are already paid for with all the pre-orders, I’m sure this limited edition will be around for a good while. Sure hope that Disc 17 A) fits somewhere in the box and B) something worth while.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

“Oscar-winning composer chats with THR about creating the ultimate box set comprising his work with one of Hollywood’s most celebrated directors. “

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/video-danny-elfman-declared-geek-48537

elfboy91
    Participant

LYRICIST!?!?!?! Danny is only doing music? Woah! How cool! That’s exciting to know.

lonzoe
    Participant

Here was my reaction when I heard the Burton/ Elfman box was pushed to February.

Now here’s my reaction about the bonus disc with Elfman’s autograph.

9fingeredElf
    Participant

Tuesday, November 30

Renowned film composer Danny Elfman joins Jason Bentley to talk about his work with director Tim Burton — a collaboration that spans 25 years — highlighting scores to such iconic films as Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure to the more recent Alice In Wonderland. Hear it live on Morning Becomes Eclectic at 11:30am.

Check here tomorrow. It should be at this link: http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Streaming live at 11:30AM PST on Tues., Nov 30th:

http://www.kcrw.com/media-player/mediaPlayer2.html?type=live&id=kcrwlive

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

“Since the last two months, I’m searching actively now for about 20 other scores. I’m trying to get film mixes for early stuff. I’m talking with older music editors I’ve worked with, looking for old hard drives, and I’m trying to find all my printed music. I didn’t save a single piece of manuscript and so we did find a lot, certainly not everything. The real fun thing for that was, before “Pee-wee,” — this was back in the mid ’70s — I wrote a thing called “Oingo Boingo Piano Concerto No. 1½,” and it was the first real composition I ever committed to paper. I taught myself to write. I made myself write this thing down, and it was only because of that composition that I took “Pee-wee’s Big Adventure.” I realized if I could write that, I could write this.… [My assistant], in her searching, she found the manuscript for that.”

SWEET!

riley7able
    Participant

Hey guys… they sold out of the first limited edition thousand right? But if I read the website correctly Warner Bros. is gonna still put out more that are just not the limited edition ones…. is that right? If so, that is cool… means I still have time to save up to get one.

moongirl84
    Participant

Danny Elfman Zoetrope from Andrew Hawkins on Vimeo.

Round and round and round he goes…

Weepy Donuts
    Participant

I know it will get posted as soon as they start arriving, but… Has anybody received their Bonus Disc yet?

Sorry, I had to ask. I’ve been really excited for the Bonus Disc after getting the Batman Returns album last week .

bookbinder3
    Participant

I assumed it would come with the box-set for those who bought the numbered-edition.
    I’m sure someone will let us know whats on it when they get it.
    Would it be sinical of me to imagine that WB records merely threw something together out of rejected-cues from the box-set? I cant see it being elfman’s lost ed-wood demos or something.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Kraft said on FSM Danny should be signing on Wednesday and WB are looking to ship right after. The contents are still a suprise.

9fingeredElf
    Participant

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Photobucket

DannyBiker
    Participant

What a sad Christmas eve…:)

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Mystery Disc 17 tracklist is…

01. The Music Box Suite 3:02
    a) Big Fish
    b) Edward Scissorhands
    c) Nightmare Before Christmas
    d) Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure
    02. PEE WEE’S BIG ADVENTURE (1985) – Main Title / The Bike Race 2:55 * (original recording)
    03. BEETLEJUICE (1988) – Main Titles (w/ Elfman vocal intro) 2:31
    04. BATMAN (1989) – The Batman Theme 2:40
    05. EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1990) – Introduction (Titles) 2:38
    06. BATMAN RETURNS (1992) – End Credits 4:44
    07. TIM BURTON’S THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1993) – End Title 5:04
    08. MARS ATTACKS! (1996) – Main Titles 2:26
    09. SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999) – Main Titles 3:12
    10. PLANET OF THE APES (2001) – Main Titles 3:52
    11. BIG FISH (2003) – Big Fish (Titles) 4:34
    12. CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (2005) – Main Titles 5:01
    13. TIM BURTON’S THE CORPSE BRIDE (2005) – End Credits, Part 2 2:33
    14. ALICE IN WONDERLAND (2010) – Alice’s Theme 5:06

Total Time: 50:12

Thor
    Participant

Nice compilation, but seems to be culled from the previous discs in the set….a “best of” disc, if you wish.

Oh, how I yearn for this set….especially for the bonus disc, DVD and book (the expanded versions I can live without).

lonzoe
    Participant

Disappointing. That’s stuff that’s already In the Box not to mention we got that on their original albums. (The Main titles and end credits at least.) I’ve done that b4 where I listen to Elfman’s main titles for the Burton films for fun. This ain’t nothing special except for the autograph. IMO,there should’ve been music that they couldn’t fit on some of the albums. Like POTA, for example. I remember Elfman said he wrote music for the war scene and Burton liked the ” Ape suite #2 ” (which was originally written for the album, b/c the music wasn’t finished yet for the movie) better and played that with the scene instead. I’d ve liked to hear his original version of that scene and other stuff they couldn’t fit on some of the albums. I guess we’re never going to hear Elfman hum the Batman theme on tape recorder in the bathroom of an airplane. Oh well. At least the autograph will be worth it.

Oh yeah I also notice they’re using the original album edits of Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish main title. Instead of using the complete Main Title. That doesn’t make sense. When I hear main titles I’d like to hear it in it’s entirety. Not an edited version. (that really ticked me off about the Spider-man score album b/c the song album had the complete main title, but the score album didn’t) They could’ve at least got that right. That’s proof that this was really released for the autograph which was fine but if the autograph was the only thing special about the bonus disc . Then they could’ve had Elfman signed the certifcates or the book or the dvd. Sorry about this rant and whining. I’m still excited for Elfman’s autograph and the box ,dvd, and book itself.

Natrebo
    Participant

Man, it was a gift. They didn’t need to do that. I hope you don’t scrutinize all your gifts like that – which I know you don’t, so just consider that before rushing off to the internet to bemoan what was given to you as a GIFT. I was not disappointed at all – I could have cared less what was on the disc (except for the autograph on the cover). Next I half expect someone to start putting it down for not having Tim sign it as well…?

It was a wonderful gesture from everyone involved at even more cost (of money and time) to the people who put this thing together. I for one think it’s just a sign of the quality of product that will arrive in February. I, for one, plan on getting the signed slipcase, disc, and accompanied letter mounted and framed for a nice piece to hang in my office.

Weepy Donuts
    Participant

I was very happy to receive this album the other day. I understand why someone might be unhappy about the disc, but I really think it was a nice apology for the short production delay. It also highlights the overall quality of this collection – they are taking their time to make this set right.

I wasn’t expecting anything beyond the package I had ordered. I hadn’t ordered immediately, so I wasn’t expecting an autograph from Danny Elfman (and the signatures looks *great* despite having to sign as many albums as he did). I wasn’t expecting to be putting the Music Box Suite on my iPod’s Elfman playlist. And I really wasn’t expecting additional music, because if they had including unused tracks I would have been upset that they hadn’t originally included them on the first sixteen albums.

This a nifty little item and I can’t wait for February.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Agreed. Think about it — you’re getting Danny Elfman’s autograph for free (if you paid for the set of course) as a gift. He personally signed 1000 copies of the album days before Christmas. He did this as a gesture for us, the fans! No reason to complain about that.

Ryan

lonzoe
    Participant

rkeaveney Wrote:

> Agreed. Think about it — you’re getting Danny
    > Elfman’s autograph for free (if you paid for the
    > set of course) as a gift. He personally signed
    > 1000 copies of the album days before Christmas. He
    > did this as a gesture for us, the fans! No reason
    > to complain about that.
    >
    > Ryan

I agree that it was a nice gesture. But they shouldn’t have been coy about what was on the bonus disc. Especially if it was going to be stuff we already have or going to get in the box. That’s what I’m upset about. Like I said I still want the box and everyday’s been like torture anticipating it to finally come to me.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.