Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Tim Burton’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    D-Bo
    Participant

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t terribly excited about the movie before.

Now I’m excited.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Wow. I wasn’t expecting that! The Alice theme sounds a bit like Lord of the Rings.

Lucius
    Participant

Dear Lord, this is amazing stuff. I’m totally freaking out right now. With this and Wolfman, Elfman is 2 for 2 so far this year. I need this full album NOW!!!!

Lucius

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I hear a little Black Beauty in the main theme.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

I felt the same way about The Wolfman until I heard some of the clips. These scores sound incredible!

boingomusic
    Participant

Wow… That’s great!!! Yes, I do hear a lot of black beauty harmonies too…. I’m so excited, and I’m so glad that there are so many variations on the Alice Theme!
    I can’t believe we thought in the beginning that the silly web-site synth music was Elfman… What an insult !

Spider-Fan
    Participant

The theme has definitely grown on me from those previews. And I totally wasn’t expecting a theme with lyrics! I wonder how that will play in the actual movie. It definitely sounds like a distinctly Elfman score, with bits of the aforementioned “Black Beauty” as well as “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” (anybody hear “Up and Out” in “Proposal/Down the Hole”?) and then even a little bit of Phillip Glass’s “Koyaanisqatsi” in the reprises.

DannyBiker
    Participant

“Proposal/Down the Hole” is indeed one huge reference to “Up and Out”. The fact that “Up and Out” was used for the “Down the Hole” sequence in the first trailer makes it even clearer.
    However, am I the only one to feel it doesn’t fit well ? Let me explain : watching Charlie, I associated the “Up and Out” melody and tempo to an ascending movement and I feel puzzled by this association with a descending movement. When I listen to that clip, I picture Alice trapped in the glass elevator with Johnny Depp laughing like an idiot !

Then again, we will have to see where that music is actually playing in the film and how does it actually work with the images. And then again, I’m a nerd…

lonzoe
    Participant

How much music Danny wrote for Alice ?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

The theme has definitely grown on me from those previews. And I totally wasn’t expecting a theme with lyrics! I

Indeed. In fact, it’s the first theme in a long time (from any movie) that’s been stuck in my head after just one listen. That rarely happens.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Has anyone been able to figure out what the lyrics are beyond the word “Alice”? I can’t tell what the child choir is saying.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I think they change from each reprise. But they are hard to understand. I imagine the lyrics will be on the liner notes.

lonzoe
    Participant

Does anyone know how much music Danny wrote for this ? Just curious to know how much isn’t on the album.

D-Bo
    Participant

The only other thing I can pick out is, “It’s such a long, long way to fall…”

Oh, Alice, dear where have you been?
    So near, so far or in between?
    What have you heard what have you seen?
    Alice, Alice, please Alice!

Oh, tell us are you big or small
    To try this one or try them all
    It’s such a long, long way to fall
    Alice, Alice, oh, Alice

How can you know this way not that?
    You choose the door you choose the path
    Perhaps you should be coming back
    Another day, another day

And nothing is quite what it seems
    You’re dreaming are you dreaming, oh, Alice?
    (Oh, how will you find your way? Oh, how will you find your way?)
    (There’s not time for tears today. There’s no time for tears today.)

So many doors – how did you choose
    So much to gain so much to lose
    So many things got in your way
    No time today, no time today
    Be careful not to lose your head
    Just think of what the doormouse said. . . Alice!

Did someone pull you by the hand?
    How many miles to Wonderland?
    Please tell us so we’ll understand
    Alice. . . Alice. . . Oh, Alice

(Oh, how will you find your way? . . . Oh, how will you find your way?)

Lucius
    Participant
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Ryan, I love you, I really do, but honestly, I had no idea you posted the lyrics. If I did I would have give you credit. Trust me.

By the way, I’m listening to the After Alice soundtrack right now. It’s not as bad as I was expecting.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Has anyone come across a good debate on a message board about the new Alice in Wonderland movie?

Has anyone come across a good debate on a message board about the new Alice in Wonderland movie?

It’s two weeks away. I don’t think anyone has actually seen it yet. As for Danny Elfman’s score, I already heard the album and a lot of music is obviously missing. Nothing is featured for the Mad Hatter and Red Queen except for the finale and even that is too short.

Maybe Ryan can answer why so much music is missing.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Well, I’m more interested in looking at a debate where people dump on the movie that they haven’t even seen yet.

Well, I’m more interested in looking at a debate where people dump on the movie that they haven’t even seen yet.

That’s easy to find. ;)

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster
    Anonymous
    Inactive

rkeaveney – paparazzi :)

Anonymous
    Inactive
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 194 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.