Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Young… AND Elfman confirmed on SM3

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    Kipobe
    Participant

It’s also on a side site that Comcast has setup.

And like you both said… just do justice to the opening and closing swing, and I’ll be happy. I’m really looking forward to the movie in every other aspect. The music will cut me… but it’ll be a good film.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’ve just been given confirmation that it was actually John Debney, not Deborah Lurie.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Posted by: Spider-Fan
    Date: March 13, 2007 04:07PM
    Another great choice would have been John Debney if he was available.

Ohhh, who called it?! Needless to say, I’m satisfied with this.

johnmullin
    Participant

Oh okay. I guess I got some bad info. I stand corrected!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I just read that John Debney’s been officially attached to “Iron Man,” though this shouldn’t be a surprise considering it’s a Jon Favreau film. I’m excited to hear what he comes up with, as I love the action material he writes — the main titles from “Zathura” have gotten a lot of play on my iPod lately.

Danny Burton
    Participant

AICN has two VERY positive reviews up [avoid them, they’re both riddled with spoilers] and look what one of them says:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32293

“A BRIEF RUNDOWN: Main titles begin, same flipping marvel logo, same brilliant Elfman theme (this time composed by Chris Young, but more on that later).”

“The score of the film by Chris Young is more of the same; he basically rehashes Elfman’s themes, and makes new themes for new characters. His new themes are good, and Sandman’s in particular is quite catchy and similar to Ocks, but they probably are not as good as if Elfman had done them, but the score doesn’t disappoint if you liked it the first 2 times around.”

mar2k
    Participant

I saw the same thing on AICN.

It does beg the question how much of it is actually Young’s score and how much of it might have been thrown out and redone at the last minute by Sony to add more Elfman themes.

Glad to see the Main Titles are the same though. I literally think I might have got up and walked out of the theater during the opening credits if those were replaced with an original composition by Young (Batman Forever anyone?)

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

7 NEW Clips! Through the clips looks like the themes of Elfman will be re-used quite a bit.

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2319&Itemid=99

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I suppose whoever wrote each respective cue could have done a worse job. They also could have done better (minus the use of “Aunt May Packs”). The Crane scene actually started off with some cool suspense music, but then just amounted to the Main Titles without the percussion… considering how versatile Elfman’s Spider-Man theme is, you’d think that Young or Debney would have had some fun with it, and it’s kind of sad that this opportunity went missed. Recall how Elfman scored Spidey’s rescue of Aunt May in “Spider-Man 2,” now that was something special. From what I gathered to be the Sandman theme, I wasn’t very impressed, and it seemed to be a rather bland theme for a villain. I actually liked the way Young went with the Belltower clip. It had a nicely darkened version of the Spider-Man theme and actually remained Elfman-esque. The choir had a real ethereal yet sinister quality to it, which I thought was kind of neat. The Romantic Night clip wasn’t bad either… granted Elfman’s Love Theme had to be adapted and there’s only so much you can do with that theme, it went in an interesting direction. From the Aunt May clip, we now also know that some of Elfman’s unused “Spider-Man 2” cues will be put in the movie, so perhaps we might hear more of the unused cues (!!!) ?

Overall, I think when we see Spidey in this new movie, we’ll be hearing the first part of Elfman’s Spider-Man theme without it ever finishing with the final 5 notes, like in the Crane clip’s use of the Main Titles and in the train scene from “Spider-Man 2.” However, judging by the clips, it might not be an absolutely horrible listening experience… at least, half the time.

Kipobe
    Participant

You know, I don’t post here a whole lot…. and it’s usually because Spider-Fan says EXACTLY what I’m thinking. He’s probably the only person I’ve ever “seen” who understands the Spider-Man theme (and by extension, Elfman’s work) like I do. If Spider-Fan weren’t here, maybe I’d have a few more posts. 😮

Edward Bloom
    Participant

My God the “Crane” clip was horrid. It’s symptomatic of the disaster the temp-tracking technique provoked in the film music business. By watching the video, you can tell exactly what happened: they wanted to go with a “no music” scene with the usual deep sounds (the crane) responding to high pitched sounds (the screams) with some cheap effects (the heart beat); if you ask me, it’s a pretty vulgar way to conceive a sound mix. But Spider-Man must get his theme while swinging so let’s put the main title, that should be enough, just ask Young of who ever is writing the score to take off the percussion and change one or two elements of the orchestration, so it’s not exactly the same.
    That’s sad. Danny Elfman’s theme for Spider-Man is so versatile; it’s more a motif than a real melody so the possibilities are enormous. If he had the opportunity to write for the scene, it would have been some crazy cue. In fact, he wrote something similar for the first film: when that huge structure was about to fall on a kid during the Parade scene, it seems that Raimi didn’t like his take on the main theme variation he proposed (the one you can hear on the score cd of the first film) and probably asked him to go for a variation that was closer to the main title. So what you can hear in the film now is something based on the main title variation but with a completely different orchestration, fitting to the scene. Not some cheap reediting.

Then again, the music would have been rejected anyway. Real sad…

As for the rest of the clips, there’s nothing that really impresses me but I’ll have to hear the entire score to give a pertinent opinion.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

The Sandman sequence sounds like a mix of Goldenthal-like string apreggios and the Doc Ock theme played real slow by the brass. I actually hate the slow choral statement of the Spider-Man theme in the church sequence. Shouldn’t there be a “dark” Spider-Man motif that should be playing here? My guess is that Elfman would have come up with one.

Ryan

Edward Bloom
    Participant

Well actually there is, the cue almost starts with a dark version of Spider-Man’s theme but I’m not convinced by it…

Danny Burton
    Participant

I’ve been watching that Crane Disaster clip non stop and I’m convinced that’s not even a new recording of the Main Titles. They just edited out the percussion and sped it up. I wonder if that’s one of the parts of the film assigned to Bartek to work Elfman’s music into.

Lazy, but I still like it ;)

johnmullin
    Participant

I’m convinced it IS a new recording.

And for the record again, Bartek did not write anything for the film. The adaptations were done by John Debney AND Debra Lurie. There were recording days where all three would record their own cues for the exact same scene!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’m not talking about simply making the Spider-Man theme dark, I’m talking about a whole new motif to represent Peter’s dark side. The Spider-Man theme slowed down sounds kinda like someone’s finger is on the record player.

Ryan

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I’m not talking about simply making the Spider-Man theme dark, I’m talking about a whole new motif to represent Peter’s dark side.

Or at least do a reworking of the Spidey theme to make it grime. Sort of the flip side of Anakin’s theme in the prequels, in that it’s a warm and delicate version of the Imperial March.

Doing a dark variation of the Spider-Man theme would be something right up Elfman’s alley. A sad, missed opportunity.

elfmanguy
    Participant

All this talk about POTENTIALLY great themes by Elfman is seriously making me sad.

elfmanguy
    Participant

Wait a tic! Is the Spiderman 3 score going to get a release?

I haven’t heard anything!

TenderLumpling
    Participant

It was canceled, due to lack of interest. :)

We’re less than a week away from Spidey 3! Anyone else excited?

Natrebo
    Participant

I’m looking forward more to Black Sheep, now that looks like a fun movie!

What can I say, I like cheesy horror films (like Raimi and Peter Jackson used to make!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I’m going to a midnight screening!

mar2k
    Participant

Well then Spider-Fan, we expect a full review……of the score of course! (no spoilers please!!!)

mar2k

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.