Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Young… AND Elfman confirmed on SM3

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    JMY
    Participant

Well the movie was a mess as most poeple say. To many charachters and an ending that brought up more “Batman & Robin -moments” than a normal human can handle.

The music was okey, but i think the “Black suite theme” was a bit missplaced. It would have been a better match for the Sandman characther. As for the “main titles”, it wasnt as smooth as Elfmans versions with the Goblin and Dr.ock themes.

Sadly the Spiderman films just went down the same path as Batman and Superman went when the third movie was released.

Spidey-Fan
    Participant

Without spoiling anything, my friend I saw it with last night said it best:

The movie didn’t feel like a movie. It felt like a checklist.

“We need this. Then this. Then this. Then this. The End.”

Now there are things on the checklist that are done very well.

Unfortunately, there are also a lot of things on the checklist that are NOT done well.

Sadly, the latter outweighs the former.

RE: the music – Almost a disappointment from start to finish. The main titles, while fair, did not nearly maintain the power in terms of orchestration and sound that Elfman’s did.

Once again, music from Spider-Man AND Spider-Man 2 was tracked into scenes.

Whenever the main theme was stated, it was always that same section from the main titles with the drums taken out and sped up. Couldn’t Young come up with other variations of the theme?

The whole thing sounded like a temp score.

More on the movie itself later…

RCox
    Participant

Maybe we should ask if Young was allowed to do anything. I might be one of the few people hoping for a score album just so I can hear what his original intentions were.

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

I have a question that was bothering me about the score the entire movie.

Sandman’s theme. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. But it sounded so familiar. Specifically, there was a few notes played that sounded like the exact notes from another movie score. Can anyone help me out here?

elfmanguy
    Participant

Everyone seems to be writting reviews of this film so here is my review of Spiderman 3. There may be spoilers so read at your own risk:

Well it’s here. Spiderman 3. And man was I disappointed. At the end of it all I did not feel the urge to watch nor did I feel that they have the need to make a Spiderman 4. It was just too much stuffed into one movie. You can get 2 seperate movies out of this. It dragged a lot at parts. I understand the need for “the two as a couple” scenes but at least 2 or 3 of them could have been cut. Right in the middle Raimi throws in silly comedy and I expect silly comedy from Raimi. But all we need is one sily bit. He gives 2 or 3 which go one for too long. Do we really need too see Peter dance and play the piano for that long? The Saturday Night Fever bit was more than enough. It worked even It was funny but he just had to kill it wth the rest didn’t he.

As for the villians:
    Sandman – Over developed, under used.
    Venom – Under developed, under used.

They give us all this back story on Sandman then midway through he gets reduced to some two-bit Venom henchman. And the attempts to make him a sympathetic character half-way fail. They do make him sympathetic but I don’t want my Spiderman Villians symapthetic. In part 2, Doc Ock starts off good, turns bad then redeems himself but at least when he was bad he was consistantly bad. I want my villians bad and menacing. The script spends too much on Sandman without spending ENOUGH time on him. It’s inconsistant in that way. As for Venom, he sort of just shows up swinging around and causing trouble. “Hey I’m Venom. Let’s go kidnap someone.” Brock isn’t the least bit surprised that he’s now big and black and scary and able to swing everywhere. Then they kill him. Fine! Kill Villians. I’m all for that. But give me some time to dislike him before you kill him. I didnt get a chance to fully grow to hate Brock/Venom so when he died I actually felt sorry for him. I wanted him to stick around for a while. Way under developed.

In fact, other than the 3 main characters (Peter, M.J., Harry) every other character was horribly under used. For what reason Gwen Stacy’s father was in this I do not know let alone Gwen Stacy. In fact, for me she was the best part of the movie. Bryce Dallas Howard is just so adorable to me. Plus she fit the Gwen Stacy part perfectly. She has that perfect, 60’s, comic big eyed look.

Now for the score. Oh did I miss Elfman on this but by the end of it I’m glad he stayed away from this. The main titles were weird. The part where Doc Ocks theme was in the second films’ openning titles was now replaced with Christopher Young’s themes for the symbiote and Sandman. WAY out of place. It felt as though they stole some tracks from a different superhero movie and stuck em there. And those new themes. Was it just me or was that new symbiote theme oddly heroic. That symbiote was not a heroic character so why in the hell was it written that way? It reminded me a bit of X-men 3. And Sandmans theme was in fact WAY too sinister for the type of character the Sandman turned out to be. The music in general ripped me out of the film more than once and felt immensly out of place. Maybe if Young had scored all of the films in wouldnt have seemed so awkward but he didnt and it feels so wrong mixed in with the reused Elfman cues. Very musically inconsistant.

Then theres finale of the film which was sort of odd with the Sandman becoming this sort of big sand mass and Harry a.k.a the new goblin and Spiderman teaming up against to fight the villianous team that at the end of all sees Harry getting killed much the way as his father died in the first film and Spiderman forgiving the Sandman who was the man who actually killed his uncle. Then Sandman flies away, Harry and Venom die and Peter and M.J. are left crying, pondering life. Interesting.

Though there was a lot I didnt like about this film it did have some exciting and fun action in places and had some interesting bits of humor in places. I didn’t hate it but I don’t recommend it. I have seen worse though. Batman and Robin was way worse and it was slightly better than X-men 3. BUT, a Spiderman 4 we do not need.

My grade for Spiderman 3: C

Oh and one thing that really botherd me. In one scene Gwen Stacy is hanging off a building. Then we see The guy shes dating (Eddie Brock) and her father come in and they do this little schitck. Neither of them seemed to be the least bit worried that she is hanging of the side of a building about to lose her life. That was strange to me.

And why does no one stop Spidey to ask him why he is able to produce webbing from his hands. That always bothered me! ARGH!!!!

KWashi
    Participant

Donnie_Darko88 Wrote:

> I have a question that was bothering me about the
    > score the entire movie.
    >
    > Sandman’s theme. I actually enjoyed it quite a
    > bit. But it sounded so familiar. Specifically,
    > there was a few notes played that sounded like the
    > exact notes from another movie score. Can anyone
    > help me out here?

It (I think it was Sandman’s Theme) reminded me of the cue “The Fight with the Cyclops” from Bernard Herrmann’s “The 7th Voyage of Sinbad”.

Lucius
    Participant

I wish this was the second movie so I could refer to it as “Spiderman Blew”. Review over.

Lucius

RCox
    Participant

The movie was all over the place. That being said, and I know this isn’t going to be a popular opinion, I thought Young did a pretty good job overall (at least for the parts where I could tell it was his music). My favorite scene in the film was also the one I felt was the best scored: the birth of Sandman. For that alone I hope there’s a score album. And as for all that talk about Young not doing varying the Spider-man theme enough, let’s be honest. If he did do a whole bunch of variations on the theme, most of the same posters would be complaining that he didn’t stay close enough to Elfman’s sound. We might just be too close to the situation to look at it objectively.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I think the Elfman and Young material couldn’t sound more different. Sorry, Young’s music doesn’t sound anything like Elfman’s, even when he’s quoting Elfman’s themes, like the bombastic chorale suddenly part of the Green Goblin theme.

Ryan

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

He was asked to adapt Elfman’s theme.

Ryan

Spidey-Fan
    Participant

I understand, I just wish he could have done it better (or given the circumstances, was allowed to do it better).

boingomusic
    Participant

Ok, well…

To me, the whole movie was a perfect PATCHWORK. Selected scenes linked to each other somehow…
    Some scenes were good, some sucked, but nothing really made sense.

As for the music, it’s the same. A big patchwork. I actually think that the poor Christopher Young went through the EXACT same thing Danny went through on the second movie.
    I agree, Young’s music didn’t sound like Elfman’s, but I mean, it’s normal. It’s Young, not Elfman!!!
    If the movie actually contained only Young’s music, with some re-orchestrated and re-arranged themes from Elfman, maybe it would have sounded like a real score. instead, we got real Elfman parts from the first and second movies, and parts from Young, all edited together, and I muss say, VERY VERY BADLY EDITED!!!
    I’m sure we could have done better remixes with Garage Band… It was all cut and paste… The movie AND the score…. no wonder the whole thing was so boring….!

I would have preferred watching it with a brand new score by Young instead of all this mess !

RCox
    Participant

I would argue that you have made the most honest assessment of this film. Much like Sandman in his formative stages, it’s having a bitch of a time trying to keep itself together.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I don’t think there were any restrictions, just instructions.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

http://www.freezedriedmovies.com/

While I felt “Spider-Man 3” was a big stinking disappointment, I am still willing to let the series, and maybe even Raimi, redeem themselves. The article says that Carnage, Lizard, and Black Cat will be in the next movie, which I would actually be pretty psyched about. I remember being skeptical about Sandman when his presence was announced, because I knew that despite the best CGI, he’d never look truly realistic, especially in the wake of such photo-realism as Davy Jones. But I could definitely imagine good effects for Lizard and Carnage, while good casting could make for a good Black Cat. Just interesting to think about now, because I’m in such a dark place emotionally right now. It’s gotten that bad.

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

Hook!! If anyone can remember a few notes in the Sandman theme (not the whole theme mind you), compare it with the track “Hook-Napped” of the Hook score. Am I crazy or are they note for note? (and I am absolutely NOT bashing Chris Young or claiming he copied some notes from that score… just pointing out something that stuck out for me)

Edward Bloom
    Participant

>> “He was asked to adapt Elfman’s theme.

Ryan”

Eh ? Are you saying that Young was asked to adapt Elfman’s theme for Sandman ? I thought Elfman didn’t deliver his themes in time or that Raimi wasn’t interested by them. Am I misunderstading your post ? :-)

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Elfman’s main Spider-Man theme.

Ryan

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Yes, what’s the solution to too many villains in part 3? Use 3 in part 4!….???

Ryan

JMY
    Participant

I think Raimi has a great solution to that problem .

Part 4 The Sinister Six

Part 5 Sinister Twelve

Part 6 Oceans Thirteen

Boreal
    Participant

nemesis1701 Wrote:

> Why, are you people even seeing this movie? Sam
    > isn’t Sam anymore, and having Christopher Young
    > try to do a Danny Elfman is absurb. If Sony
    > really wants Spiderman 4 to be any good, get rid
    > of Sam and hire Tim Burton.

Heh, I agree that this wasn’t as good as the first two but I think it would be better if Raimi went and did the Hobbit and Peter Jackson did Spiderman 4 :p

I think Howard Shore could do a pretty mean Spidey Score, him or James Newton-Howard. Jackson could do a more personal tale while Raimi could do the epic he’s tried to do with this film.

But Elfman’s will still, in my opinion, be the seminal score.

futureknight
    Participant

I concur with the majority of reviews about sm3. It isn’t an awful movie, just a huge step backwards from sm2. I left the theater disappointed and longing for what might have been had raimi not cracked up.

I do have one major question. Even on SM 2.1 dvd elfman is saying how great it was to work with raimi and how he understands how important the music is, yadda yadda yadda. I know there was a major incident of some kind that soured elfman on working with raimi…but I’m not sure exactly what it is….Can anyone help me? I’ve tried trolling through years of old posts, but even with search I haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for.

I guess raimi didn’t want to use some of the cues elfman created…that he asked elfman to emulate a style from some other movie? Can someone provide some insight here?

That begs some other questions: why on earth would raimi crack up like that(even on sm2). Is the lack of elfman involvment at the end of sm2 the reason why so much of the music in the movie is taken from sm1?

Sm3 had two things going against it from the start: no elfman and the use of venom as a villian. I had trepedations going into the movie and, unfortunately, they were realized. I can live with a bad flick, but no elfman soundtrack for this movie really kills it for me.

Ineedamedic
    Participant

Well, I really enjoyed the score of Spiderman 3, But most of the credit has to goto Elfman, Young had some good things, but Elfman blew him away, One thing i’ve been constantly dissapointed with, Is the Soundtracks to these movies, All of them are the rock songs that are in the credits, and none of them have Either Elfman or Young’s music. If anyone can help me out in finding this music / CD, I will gladly buy it, rather than Pirate it.

Thanks.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

John August (screenwriter for Big Fish, Charlie & Corpse Bride) comments about the screenplay of the film :

http://johnaugust.com/archives/2007/…of-coincidence

I completely agree with him…

Spider-Fan
    Participant

That’s a really accurate analysis! I mean, he nailed it! That was a convincing case to hire him for any future installments of the franchise, which Sony announced today that there will definitely be 3 of. Of course, the previous news that David Koepp is in talks to write “Spider-Man 4” also makes me very happy.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.